Blurry Images in comic

Talk about whatever you feel like.
Norphus
Crazy Person

Blurry Images in comic

Post by Norphus » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:01 am

Something I've noticed since Mae has started publishing the comic again.

The image size of the comic is now 1000x1105 but the size of the frame in which the comic goes on the website is just over half that. I'm guessing she's doing that to improve the rendering of the comic on higher DPI devices?

Anyway, the trouble is, on my desktop with a "normal" resolution monitor, when browsing the comic in a Chromium based browser (Edge, Chrome, whatever), this is making the comic blurry and the nerd in me is finding it distracting. It looks like the Chromium rendering engine is as fault and that it sucks at image scaling because Firefox does a much better job of it. I've put a screenshot below to illustrate:

You can really see the difference on the text, with Firefox on the left it's sharp but Chrome on the right is very blurry. Having a quick browse of Google, there appear to be some CSS tricks that can apparently improve the scaling with Chromium, see here. Might be worth looking at, if you haven't already?

Mae Dean
Forum Goddess
Forum Goddess

Re: Blurry Images in comic

Post by Mae Dean » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:56 am

I just saw this post, and did a test - the "image-rendering: -webkit-optimize-contrast;" code fixed it. Should look good now!

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Re: Blurry Images in comic

Post by Martin Blank » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:51 am

I... I have no idea what this does. I only know what happens if I submit a serialized Java object to the si---

Ignore that.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.