Coronavirus

Talk about whatever you feel like.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Coronavirus

Post by Rorschach » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:07 pm

Hello friends

Wow. How did it come to this? Not weeks ago, we were all just shrugging it off as someone else's problem and now it's come to this. The college is closing this afternoon, probably for some months, and I am going to be wan working from home for a while. I don't even know how much we'll be venturing outside.

Just wanted to check in with you all and see how you're all doing in your various parts of the world.

Take care, everyone. I don't see you as much as I would like, but you're all still very dear to me.
To Let

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Re: Coronavirus

Post by raptor9k » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:26 pm

I work from home so not much has changed. Local schools are closed through the end of March but a week of that was already scheduled for spring break. Not sure how effective current measures will be for the US. All of the morons that continued/extended their spring break beach trips due to cheap hotels and flights will just bring it all back with them for another round of infections come April.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:02 am

I work from home, too, but my wife got back from a work trip last Friday where she theoretically has a chance of exposure via a coworker of a coworker kind of thing, so her employer put her on administrative leave for self quarantine for two weeks. She seemed to want to take it seriously, so I’m living on my own in the new house in town we’ll hopefully move into properly next month after renovations are completed. A bed, fiber internet, a TV, and stocked up with canned goods and soda and all the toilet paper I’d need for a few weeks (because the wife buys million packs at Sam’s anyway).
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:29 pm

The island I live on closed the roads to non residents a couple of days ago. My old job that I still work 3 days a week was doing limited hours at first but is now talking about closing for at least a week. My new job (vet tech) is currently open as usual but a lot of clients have cancelled non essential appointments.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:45 pm

Toilet paper and ammunition will be currency in the new world.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:41 pm

Marina is officially closed for the next 2 weeks. My husband's employer (Vacasa based in Portland, OR) laid off a LOT of people. My husband is considered an essential employee for now hope that holds. I feel bad for all the waitstaff in the restaurants here this is when we start to pick up and be able to pay the bills.

gravity
Crazy Person

Post by gravity » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:10 pm

I'm in Japan. It was a three day holiday weekend this past weekend and everyone in the damn country got together with their friends and family and had giant drunk picnics underneath the cherry blossom trees. It's going to be a fucking mess in Japan, and two prefectures are already on alert because they're having issues with too many patients in the hospitals (nursing home clusters), and all other prefectures are saying not to travel to Osaka because cases keep popping up in Osaka with no known form of contact.

I'm a kindergarten teacher, and the kindergartens never closed. Half the teachers have a deep cough, but there's no way to get approved for testing, so we're making do with cloth masks and hoping for the best.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm

Took a pre-planned trip to let the kids meet Grandpa to get some semblance of memories. He has a Parkinson's-like disease and may not have much longer. Left when social distancing was starting to become a real push, got back after some states had started locking things down.

I work from home, and no clients have canceled their planned work (though all onsite work has been transitioned to remote). Cat is scheduled to start a new calibration job on April 6 at a company that seems to have enough contracts to keep her job offer alive since it was made ten days ago. Daycare is still open, but we're not sure how long that's going to last. If it goes sideways, my job is being extremely flexible with hours: make the hours by week's end and we're fine. Just not sure that I can handle the kids and a full-time job and still get more than a couple of hours of sleep each day.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:23 pm

Kids make staying indoors dreadful. If this had happened fifteen years ago, I'd be having a whale of a time right now.
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:22 pm

Well it happened, my husband has been furloughed for the next 90 days at least. They are going to still pay his insurance, but this is a big hit for us. They cut the people that stayed on down to 20 hours a week. Scary times for us.

Doc Giggles
Crazy Person

Post by Doc Giggles » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:58 pm

The company I was with cut the hours of all employees down to 32 and laid off 25%. I was one of the 25%. Talking with former coworkers, everyone left are walking around like they will be next to get cut. Seeing as I was copier/printer repair, there will be more cuts the longer people stay home. They did say that they hope to bring everyone back after things turn around.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:23 pm

Jesus, man. I just don't have words. Take care of yourselves. I really hope you're okay.
To Let

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:39 pm

I was supposed to see my PCP (person care physician) yesterday, but when I got there I found out that all his appointments were cancelled because local hospital wanted every doctor on staff.

Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:04 pm

I have an appointment coming up. Doing the labs the week before, doing the appointment via telemedicine.

Still have work, Cat still starts her new job next week. I'm keeping those of you who have been less fortunate in my thoughts. I hope the banks, landlords, and whatnot will be understanding. Really wish that some national decision would get made on that stuff.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:40 am

Yesterday found out that the mother of one of my cousin's childhood friends (whom I also knew) died of COVID-19. Hearing way too many people (especially churches ffs) ignore quarantine orders. Getting worried that we won't see the apex of this pandemic, much less the end, for months to come.
I'm personally doing what I can to limit my time and exposure to the outside world since I fall under the "vulnerable" category.

Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.