Only Resolutions

Talk about whatever you feel like.
raptor9k
Crazy Person

Re: Only Resolutions

Post by raptor9k » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:40 pm

I'm about to start doing the feeding window, though mine will most likely be 10a-6p or 11a-7p. The wife and I recently cut way back on carbs and have been feeling pretty good energy wise. It's not full Keto but I try to eat less than 50-60g of net carbs in a day. I did a month or so of full Keto before our vacation last year in June and cut down to 210 but got tired of the limited options on foods. The nice thing was no ups and downs, I had constant energy all day and was sleeping a lot better than normal. Vacation + laziness + holidays put me back up close to 230 and my usual trouble sleeping.

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:12 pm

I'm not sure if I can do intermittent fasting. I make really poor decisions when I'm hungry, and usually those decisions revolve around what I'm putting in my face, so I actually *gain* weight when I try to eat less because I'm binge snacking more.
Inflammatory signatures hurt us all...

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:23 pm

Yeah, everyone is different. I can get up in the morning and skip food till noon with no problems usually. I work from home so snacking can be a problem with the entire pantry right down the hall. The nice thing about the feeding window is that you aren't calorie restricted, just time restricted, but you still lose weight. Some people do their entire daily feed in one giant meal. Your body slowly adjusts to the new timetable and hunger becomes less of an issue.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:38 pm

It's worth trying, Spanks. The tea in the morning really helps me. I also use the feeling of being hungry as a mark of success. It took a week to really lock it in and I told my wife what I was doing. She's been really helpful keeping it in mind when she suggests things like going out to eat. The fact that I haven't substantially changed my eating habits (except for the decrease in alcohol, which is down by about 3/4) helps.

But the key to the eating window isn't how much you eat, but that you're not eating during this time. As I understand it, it triggers a sort of mini-keto state, where the blood sugar drops low enough that the body starts into the fat reserves. This starts chipping away at what's built up, even if you do a binge snack or two during your window.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:10 pm

Sir Spankspeople wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:15 pm

- Figure out how to get facial electrolysis without breaking the bank. I can't do laser, which is cheaper, because my hair is so light (was ginger and light brown before hormones, now it's just blonde), and the best estimate I've found so far is ~100 hours average for a beard, at ~$90-100 per hour. Less if I buy bulk packages, but I'm still looking at $8000-10,000. My wife's insurance (she works for the Federal government) covers up to $30 per session for me, but it's still a lot of money.

- With the losing weight, I want to make more home cooked meals so we're not spending upwards of $100 a week on takeout, especially with the above mentioned electrolysis costs. We started keto on the weekend, and I'm going to take this as a chance to track down my old school projects to do a weekly meal plan with fully costed recipes and ingredients.

- Learn makeup. Christmas gifts from friends and (my wife's) family involved a few makeup things, and a gift card for Nyx. I need to learn and perfect this art.
I bought an at-home treatment system for my legs it is made by elos. Its a light treatment system. I did notice the hair get a bit finer but to be fair I wasn't diligent enough with it so I probably could have gotten better results.

During the summer when we are working crazy hours I tried several of the meal delivery services. My favorite and the one I still use is EveryPlate. It's $40/3 dinners/2 people per week. They have 6-8 meals you can choose from each week and usually at least one meal you can get for an upcharge (usually $3-5). The portions are not huge but they are more like what you should be eating if you are trying to lose weight anyway so it was a win-win for me. We usually add another veg or a salad to round it out. If you or anyone else is interested in trying it PM me your email address I have 4 boxes right now I can "gift" to friends via email. Another bonus for me was the recipe cards if we liked it we saved the card and can make it again whenever.

Makeup: Less really is more especially when you are just starting you don't want to get too clowny. Subtle eyeshadow, lip tint and a bit of mascara go a long way. That being said makeup is and should be fun also. If I am going out or its a special occasion I want to sparkle! A lot of makeup places will also do free consultations and help you figure out what works for your skin tone. Ulta is my fave because the people working there seem to be a bit more on trend and a younger crowd. The goal shouldn't be to change how you look but enhance the good and downplay the bad.

You mention your wife and her family in your post. It sounds like they have all been supportive. I imagine there were a few long and awkward conversations. I'm glad you have people who will lift you up :).
~Insert clever bon mot here~

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Sir Spankspeople wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:12 pm
I'm not sure if I can do intermittent fasting. I make really poor decisions when I'm hungry, and usually those decisions revolve around what I'm putting in my face, so I actually *gain* weight when I try to eat less because I'm binge snacking more.
Same! My solution was to make sure I had healthy options to snack on in the fridge so I didn't mow through the box of cookies my husband always buys lol. Skinny Pop is one of my faves not good if you are watching carbs though. It was more that it took me a while to eat a medium bowl and satisfied the chewing/eating need. Spring mix is always good to have on hand for me with some fat free vinagrette or tossed with some left over chicken can do the trick.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:02 pm

The 5:2 is a great weight loser.

I lost about a stone and a half (take THAT, Colonials!) on it a few years ago.

You need to stick at it, mind. Obviously I didn’t.
To Let

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:40 pm

So we've dropped keto, but are continuing with low to no carb, and no refined sugars. Home cooked meals too.

Managed to get enough meat for the week for under $25, and veggies and everything else for under $75. Portioned and started marinating/dry curing the meat, chopped the veggies, peeled the potatoes, and made a couple of salads (greek and broccoli) on Sunday, so we can move on to Week #2 of not ordering takeout. Better for our health *and* our wallets.
Inflammatory signatures hurt us all...

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:41 pm

Keto is hard. Food choices are limited if you want a varied diet and NIL if you have to travel or go out with friends. For me weight loss is mostly portion control now that we've mostly eliminated processed foods from the things we buy. Stock raw veggies for snacks and check for things like 'Manager's Special' hummus or cheese. Once it gets close to that sell by date hummus drops from $5-6 for a large container to $2. Go by net carbs rather than total carbs. It's a struggle to break old habits but after some time the craving for takeout and junk food subsides. I've hit the point where a trip to the in-laws (The Land of No Vegetables) is sort of daunting because I know I'll feel like shit all weekend.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:37 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:02 pm
The 5:2 is a great weight loser.

I lost about a stone and a half (take THAT, Colonials!) on it a few years ago.

You need to stick at it, mind. Obviously I didn’t.
You can't drop a half a stone. If you break a stone in half, you get two stones. Then you have more ammo to throw at sinners.

Royalists, man.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.