What's your job?

Talk about whatever you feel like.
Dr. Tower
Crazy Person

What's your job?

Post by Dr. Tower » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:18 pm

The comic is starting back up, why not be more active in the forums too?

Anyway, what do people do for a living now? I'm obviously no longer a grad student. My current job is to help DoD researchers use supercomputers. I have the ability to log onto and run code on multiple systems that are on the Top 500 list. No, I will not run anything you guys suggest (unless I would have run it anyway).

So what do you guys do for a living/going to school for?

ps vim > emacs.
Father of 3

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Re: What's your job?

Post by raptor9k » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm a "Senior Software Engineer" that's really just a full stack dev for a company that writes Accounting/Tenant solutions for conventional and HUD housing. I mainly live in win32 land but we have .Net web apps and a few mobile offerings. It's a small outfit so we all get to wear all the hats.
I'm putting my talents and skills to use for a business so that I receive compensatory funds that I may then choose to spend and invest and save as I see fit. If I choose to blow it all on hookers and Dr. Seuss books, I don't see how that means you owe me a comfortable retirement. - Deacon

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:54 pm

I’m an ESOL lecturer and have been for twelve years.

I teach England to foreign student’s so as you can imagine, Im pretty well at language.

I think I might go for the upcoming Curriculum Head post but I don’t fancy my chances.
To Let

Doc Giggles
Crazy Person

Post by Doc Giggles » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:03 am

After working in arcades for 23 years, I now fix copiers and printers. Better money. Less of a challenge.

I miss the arcades.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things
Omnicode: sxy cm163 kg76 eso.#_glasses sp= Ag1974.October anE hdd Zot RlM Kd1y PeC&C FHb IN14 PrPython(3)^(7)&C(2)^(5)&C++(2)^(7)&JavaScript(2)^(5)&Ruby(1)^(5)&PHP(2)^(5) GM-6DN LAEN(9)&ES(2)^(6)&EO(1)^(7) Crc(6).Security MvD BA! PlM

Post by Martin Blank » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:06 am

Doc Giggles wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:03 am
After working in arcades for 23 years, I now fix copiers and printers. Better money. Less of a challenge.

I miss the arcades.
AAAAAH. THE PAPER IS STUCK TO THE FUSER.

There was a time, when I was still fixing printers, the LaserJet 4’s were no friend of mine.
The fusers all flaked, the users all opened tickets, ‘cause all of them died in the briefest time.
All I ever wanted was a printer that would print. I placed all the calls ‘cause the users were all pissed!

And that’s as much as I can do with Aerosmith and printers (HAHA, stuck in your head now!). Seriously, we had 40+ LaserJet 4 printers, and almost all of them had their fusers go out over the course of three months. Then we replaced almost all of them with 4000 series, except for one LaserJet II that three people refused to let go because it WOULD NOT DIE. EVER. NO BREAKS in like SIX YEARS. Damned tanks.

So, anyway, I break into computers for a living. And then I tell people how broken their systems are. Hopefully, when I go back a year later, they’re broken in different ways so I have a different challenge. This involves much travel this year for some reason. I’m typing this while on the way home from Vermont (I think we’re over Oklahoma right now). I’m almost to American’s Platinum status (second elite tier). I’d give you the whole bit about penetration testing touching things we shouldn’t be able to get to and leaving behind a little evidence that we were there, but I think that’s pushing boundaries these days, even if my borderline-communist leftie friends find it humorous.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:25 am

Former EMT now working the occasional odd job while I'm going through nursing school.

Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

JermCool
Crazy Person

Post by JermCool » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:23 am

Director of IT for a mid-sized specialty ophthalmology practice in Vegas. Granted, I'm the only IT guy on staff, so I'm Director, Manager, and Help Desk all at once. My life consists of writing and updating HIPAA security policies between answering the phone.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

Mav
Respect the Wang
Omnicode: Dickbutts

Post by Mav » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:50 am

Your mom.
Arc_Orion wrote:<Arc_Orion> Mav is like a very interestingly informed six year old.

Cyberliger777
Crazy Person

Post by Cyberliger777 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:59 pm

Mav wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:50 am
Your mom.
She needs the work.

I am, just this week, the manager of a barbeque restaurant in Seattle. Stepped up after two years to the position after my old manager left. Going to be using the raise to start college classes again to become a Vet.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Sold my deli after 10 years of working two jobs. Still the floor manager going on 17 years at a marina. Currently fixing up our house to put on the market in spring and hopefully, be building our dream home this time next year.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things
Omnicode: sxy cm163 kg76 eso.#_glasses sp= Ag1974.October anE hdd Zot RlM Kd1y PeC&C FHb IN14 PrPython(3)^(7)&C(2)^(5)&C++(2)^(7)&JavaScript(2)^(5)&Ruby(1)^(5)&PHP(2)^(5) GM-6DN LAEN(9)&ES(2)^(6)&EO(1)^(7) Crc(6).Security MvD BA! PlM

Post by Martin Blank » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:13 pm

You survived the hurricane! Woot!
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

SouthernKnight
Crazy Person

Post by SouthernKnight » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:23 pm

I'm a "Telecom Engineer" for a big theme park in Florida. I'll let you guys figure out which one.
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Cyberliger777
Crazy Person

Post by Cyberliger777 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:47 pm

SouthernKnight wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:23 pm
I'm a "Telecom Engineer" for a big theme park in Florida. I'll let you guys figure out which one.
Six Flags, noice!

SouthernKnight
Crazy Person

Post by SouthernKnight » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Cyberliger777 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:47 pm
SouthernKnight wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:23 pm
Six Flags, noice!
There are days I wish...lol
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mav
Respect the Wang
Omnicode: Dickbutts

Post by Mav » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:24 am

When I'm not busy with your mom, I also make websites. checkout the game I made: http://insanityincorporated.com
Arc_Orion wrote:<Arc_Orion> Mav is like a very interestingly informed six year old.