Forum upgrade to phpBB 3.2

Talk about whatever you feel like.
Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Forum upgrade to phpBB 3.2

Post by Martin Blank » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:54 am

The forum has been upgraded to the current, fully supported version of phpBB. This, unfortunately, removes the style that we've had for many years, dropping us to a default. As this took longer than expected (over an hour), I haven't had a chance to go looking for options. I may try to come up with something vaguely similar to what we had, but that's admittedly a long shot. I'll see what I can come up with in the meantime.

A few changes have been made with the upgrade:
  • The forum blogs had to be removed for the upgrade, though I'm not sure how much attention those got anyway.
  • All password complexity restrictions have been removed. However, minimum password length is now 16 characters.
  • Registration validation has been set to include reCAPTCHA. This means that, for the first time ever on this site, some external code is in use. My intent is still to keep external code use to an absolute minimum. Changes will be communicated as they happen, but this should be extremely rare. Wherever the option exists to keep things local, it will be taken.
  • Post editing time limits have been removed. Since RLF was first stood up, users were unable to edit their posts after a certain period of time (usually 60 minutes). Now, anyone can go back and edit their posts from as far back as the start of the forums.
  • Miscellaneous minor settings changes that should have no effect on the user experience.
Major functionality should be mostly the same. Please note any technical issues here, or drop me a line via email or Facebook.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Forum upgrade to phpBB 3.2

Post by Deacon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:57 am

Quite the difference. But it looks like it may be quite a bit more mobile friendly.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:02 am

If I can stop getting monthly prompts by Tapatalk, I'll be happy. I'd update the plugin, and then a week later get an email about another update (and please enable advertising for your benefit and not ours please totally trust us!).

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:15 am

I paid for the tapatalk app but ended up tapering off on its usage. Haven't used it for a couple years now.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:28 am

This will take a little bit of getting used to.
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:44 am

I tacked on a style called SE Square Left for those who don't like to look to the right to see who is posting.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Thank you, the SE Square makes the flow better for reading.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Agreed!

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Ooh.

Shiney.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:32 pm

Martin Blank wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:44 amI tacked on a style called SE Square Left for those who don't like to look to the right to see who is posting.
Are you sure it took?

EDIT: Oh, duh, I see now. You added it, but you didn't switch everyone to it, so you choose it yourself individually in your own profile settings. I generally hit RLF from my phone, bu this time I used a browser on my desktop and noticed what's going on.

NorthernComfort
Redshirt

Post by NorthernComfort » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:57 pm

Worked for me: http://imgur.com/a/u4Osb

Edit: ah, you got it.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:59 pm

Yeah you go to your User Control Panel, go to Board Preferences (or directly at https://www.reallifeforums.com/ucp.php?i=403) and then select it from the dropdown list for "My board style" :)

Metzgirl
Redshirt

Post by Metzgirl » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:40 am

I'm impressed you still update. Good job!