How big are your balls?

Talk about whatever you feel like.
raptor9k
Redshirt

Re: How big are your balls?

Post by raptor9k » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:43 pm

Android Nexus for life. I made the mistake of buying a non nexus phone (LG G3) and hated the update schedules. Now, I'm on a Nexus 5x and I get monthly security patches. The screen isn't quite as high res as the G3 but the fingerprint reader and vanilla android more than make up for that. I honestly can't tell a difference in speed. Both phones are pretty snappy. At $269 it's a steal. I hope google keeps going with the mid+high model releases in the future. At this point in life I just can't justify spending more than about $300 on a phone I'm unlikely to keep more than 2 years. Too much other crap to pay off or plan for in the future.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:06 pm

I don't think I've ever spent more than $300 on any iPhone, even the 128GB iPhone 6 Plus I have now.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Redshirt

Post by raptor9k » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:29 pm

Buying them used? MSRP on a 128gb 6s plus is $900+. You might find an awesome deal and get one for $5-600 off contract without any hidden costs but if you only paid $300 for a new one they probably got their money elsewhere.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:51 pm

No, I buy them new every other year in exchange for continuing my contract for another 2 years each time. It's worked great for me so far.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

NorthernComfort
Redshirt

Post by NorthernComfort » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:56 pm

Deacon wrote:No, I buy them new every other year in exchange for continuing my contract for another 2 years each time. It's worked great for me so far.
Yup. I pay something like $250 for my iPhone 6 over the course of the upgrade cycle. (AT&T)

But man I miss having a corporate phone with unlimited data. Best deal in town!
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:40 pm

I still have unlimited data, haven't bothered changing my plan. And my work reimburses me what works out to $100/mo to pay for my phone plan which ends up totaling out to $106.67/mo. So, yeah, I just pay for my phone up front every 2 years, and it works well for me.

raptor9k
Redshirt

Post by raptor9k » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:02 pm

Yeah, grandfathered plans are nice but not guaranteed. I have a buddy that just had his Verizon unlimited data plan cancelled because he was using over 100gb a month in data.

I'm on cricket and paying $70 (that's actually what I pay, no extra taxes or fees outside the advertised price) for unlimited talk/text/data which is about $10 cheaper than just a 5gb plan on AT&T's post paid side. The pre-paid bring your own phone side offers a 6gb plan for $55 but that's what the 10gb plan on cricket runs. It's all on AT&T's network and cricket is actually owned by AT&T. Two unlimited lines runs me $130/mo due to multi-line discounts which is about what I would pay for 15gb shared to 2 devices on AT&T.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:12 pm

Back to Pokemon Go, one thing I've noticed is that the way they track distance traveled is super frustrating. While working from home, I'll do laps around my house with my wireless headset on during conference calls, and I find that it does NOT count much at all. For example, for one egg I had 0.05km (164 feet) to go to hatch it. Did a few laps (a lot more than 164 feet), and after a while it showed I now had 0.04km to go, counting only 0.01km (10m, 33 feet).

Googling it, it appears many think that they track it by looking at the location your phone sends and then doing an as-the-crow-flies calculation of distance between those points. Maddening.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:27 pm

PS Careful, Android users. Including Nexus. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37005226

Sir Spankspeople
Redshirt

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:35 pm

On the topic of hatching eggs, we've got an interesting situation here in Ottawa: Confederation Park, outside of City Hall, is a hot-spot, always full of people staring at their phones, at least three Pokestops lured at all hours of the day, and three or four more in the park otherwise. It's a five minute walk from our apartment (literally, a block from here to City Hall, and it's on the other side of that), and it looks like it's in the middle of several towers that my network (Wind Mobile) uses. I haven't experienced it yet, but just sitting in the park for an hour or two my wife was able to hatch a couple of eggs, because it kept jumping from tower to tower and her GPS was going nuts. Made catching things difficult, as they'd slowly drift away as if she was walking, but it makes hatching things really easy.
In vino veritas
In aqua sanitas

raptor9k
Redshirt

Post by raptor9k » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:40 pm

It'd be nice if they just calculated the distance in steps like a pedometer would. I'm assuming the distance traveled thing is just to promote exercise?

The moral of the story on android is don't download shady apps. I'm guessing the play store scanner will be scanning for this vulnerability now so most people are safe. This is why I've gone back to Nexus devices. I'll have that flaw patched in a few weeks while some will have to wait 6+ months for their carrier to approve the security patches.

NorthernComfort
Redshirt

Post by NorthernComfort » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:03 pm

The distance traveled is definitely "as the crow flies" and seems to discard half the distance... I know how long my walking routes are, especially the straight shots, and I never get close to the full credit from the game. Too bad, since hatching eggs is the best use of my secret walking superpower.

Oh wait, I live in NYC. So I can just go wander around Central Park like a zombie, sitting the in the middle of fifty spots that are lured 24/7, and people shouting out the rare spawns. Screw eggs and walking! Let's just rename the game Pokemon Central Park!

Spoiler warning: image cause feelings of "jelly" and a strong desire to move to NYC.
Spoiler: (click to reveal/hide)

Sir Spankspeople wrote:but just sitting in the park for an hour or two my wife was able to hatch a couple of eggs, because it kept jumping from tower to tower and her GPS was going nuts.
I've got a few friends that work in the financial district (tall buildings = very wonky GPS) and can hatch a few eggs a day just by leaving their phone open on the desk. Their character will keep pacing all day. Not too shabby.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:56 am

Did you catch those or hatch them? And what level are you?

NorthernComfort
Redshirt

Post by NorthernComfort » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:26 am

I evolved both dragonites from dratini I caught, never saw a dragonite in the wild. I also evolved the bulbasour and charmander from 2km eggs (which gives better IVs, if you're a big nerd like me). I checked the IVs of the dratini to find the best ones. Their moves aren't "the best" but whatever.... I have a good dratini nest on the west side highway, and a bulb/charmander nest a few blocks uptown from there. If you hunt there over a weekend you'll get similar to my results. I got both dragonites in one afternoon of lurking around the Intrepid.

I'm level 27 but only 27% ashamed. In my defense, I was on vacation and between jobs. :)

....Neeeeeeeeerd!

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:40 am

I live in the middle of BFE, so, yeah, no such luck. Even so I'm still 20. Never even heard of a dratini, nor have I ever stumbled across a nest producing charmanders or bulbasaurs. It's a little over 6 miles to the nearest Pokestop I've been able to find. A little tougher going for me :)

What's this IV you're talking about?