How big are your balls?

Talk about whatever you feel like.
FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

How big are your balls?

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:15 pm

Are they Great? Ultra? Master? or just plain ol Poke? Who else is playing Pokemon Go? I wasn't going to play but my kids are and I just started to see what it was all about since EVERY website I look at seems to have something about it whether it is memes or comments. I have found that I am enjoying it despite my house being too far out to register on the GPS factor apparently. The marina however is a pokestop so that has helped me get some XP and items easily. I am pretty stocked up on water types but not sure how I will get some of the others. The highest CP I have is a 557 Kingler so I'm not really hitting any rare or elite types. When things slow down though I will certainly be taking my eggs for a bike ride and I better not hatch another freaking Pidgey! So who else has to catch 'em all?
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: How big are your balls?

Post by Deacon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:27 pm

I started a little late but gave in and tried it after my younger cousins were gushing about it. It's fairly one dimensional, but it's addictive nonetheless. I'm level 19 at the moment, I've seen and captured 80 Pokemon, and my highest CP is Lapras at 1614 and 160 HP (to be powered up a little shortly), hatched from a 10km egg.

I live in what Niantic considers BFE, so it's hard to progress, both encounter Pokemon as well as get items from stops (over 6 miles to nearest Pokestop). It really helped that I traveled to Green Bay for an overnight business trip, where I walked the hell out of downtown and leapt up quite a bit, including spending plenty of time in Chicago O'Hare.

I'm finally figuring out how gyms work, and I've helped take over a few. I recommend that if you have time to hang out for a bit near a gym that when you finally take it over you go ahead and put a mediocre level Pokemon in it so you can train and beat it repeatedly to open up new slots to put more Pokemon in it. I think a single player can put in more than one Pokemon in a single gym, right? Maybe not. Haven't had the time and opportunity to really try it out. I do know that it can be incredibly frustrating when your team has a high level gym but some doofus has added like 600 CP Pokemon for the first couple, and you can't displace them with something from your own stable that's higher level.

If my house/office were a Pokestop I'd be golden. But my balls are great. Never seen ultra or master.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:52 pm

My balls are the biggest.

Living in Brooklyn is great. I can walk down 2 avenues and back up, and I'll have hit about a dozen poke stops and a gym. I've gone on a few walks in the city that have been pretty epic for catching 'em all. I've got 113 so far, with my baddest motherfucker being an 1862 Snorlax.

Sadly the closest gym is a synagogue that runs a summer camp, and I swear the entire camp is Team Instinct. The gym is level 10 and all 2k+ dragons and shit. I don't stand a chance. Punks! Go Team Mystic!
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:05 am

Team Instinct!
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Skynet comes in many forms.
To Let

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:17 pm

…I have a Windows Phone.

That hasn't totally stopped me. (Though I give it less than a week until cease & desist.)

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:05 pm

BtEO wrote:…I have a Windows Phone.
Why? I'm genuinely curious and don't understand.

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:20 pm

When I bought it I still had optimism that the app support would get better, not worse.

It's a good OS (definitely a lot better than Android was when it started gaining traction) that deserved better.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:44 pm

That's the consensus I've found with Windows Mobile. Everyone that had one loved it but there was 0 app adoption so they ultimately abandoned it for iOS or Android. I'm curious if they'll try to revive it once they get this Windows Core initiative fully off the ground. Theoretically your phone would be able to run natively compiled windows apps as long as the app maker adds the right package to the project. Doesn't even require a recompile; A single exe runs across 32/64bit PC, XBox, Raspberry Pi, etc.

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:57 pm

So I can install the game on my Blackberry Passport, it just takes a bit of work, and the phone itself has to be restarted every ten minutes or so, so it's not *really* worth it. Also apparently they've started actually enforcing bans on Ingress players playing using a Blackberry device (despite the fact that I can install it directly from the Play Store, unlike Pokemon Go, and don't even have to alter the APK file in any way), so I haven't touched it recently.

I *do* have a Galaxy S4 (with broken screen) coming in the mail, that I was planning on using in September/October when my OLO (3D printer) ships, but once I get the screen replaced (if I don't break any tiny ribbon cables, as I have a tendancy to do) I can tether it to my Passport and run the Pokemans that way.

And then I guess I will be able to catch 'em all, as one does.
Inflammatory signatures hurt us all...

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:01 pm

Oddly, I can transfer Pokemans to Professor Oak on my Passport, and if I feet Soylent Candy to the ones I keep, it keeps their level when I load it up on a proper Android device (I do have a Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet, it's just mostly for light drawring, and is a little unwieldy to walk around outside with), so the app is *mostly* working on my Passport, it just only loads nearby Pokestops/gyms/Pokemans on my phone for about ten minutes, and only if it's the first app I run (usually I have to get it before it finishes loading the BB10 Android Runtime).

So I can sort of almost run it, but since they look like they're going to be banning Blackberry users outright, I might just stop. Same reason I never got into Snapchat (well, and when I decided I wasn't interested, all Snapchat was used for was sending dick pics to people you didn't want them saving, not all this weird celebrity nonsense), though I still haven't been banned for my third party Instagram app yet.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:19 pm

Oh man. That all sounds like a huge hassle. Which I guess prompts the question, why have you been running that old passport so long? Just in general? Pokey-mans aside?

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:09 pm

BtEO wrote:(Though I give it less than a week until cease & desist.)
They went the change (MOAR ENCRYPTION) the API route.

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:30 pm

Deacon wrote:Oh man. That all sounds like a huge hassle. Which I guess prompts the question, why have you been running that old passport so long? Just in general? Pokey-mans aside?
The Passport's actually a fairly recent phone, having come out September 2014. Sports a 4.5" 1440x1440 pixel screen, 2.26Ghz quad core processor, 3GB RAM. It's a good phone, and if you haven't given BB10 (the OS) a look I'd suggest it, because it's miles ahead of Android as far as useability, they just did a shit job of advertising, and it doesn't have anywhere close to the app library Android has. Up until Facebook decided they didn't want Blackberry to have access to their APIs (they'd always refused to make their own BB10 app, but the in-house Facebook app used to be fantastic) it did basically everything I could possibly want it to. The third party Facebook app I'm using now is a little... buggy, at the best of times.

So I've got the Samsung phone, and it appears to work (vibrates when turned on), but has a non-functional screen, so just waiting on the screen coming in from Amazon, and hoping I haven't been bamboozled by the seller (it's four days late, now).

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:39 am

I've had an iPhone since the 3G (secokd one, not the original). On a 6 Plus now and planning to upgrade to the 7 Plus when it's released. No interest in android or blackberry.