I cannae have another drink

Talk about whatever you feel like.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

I cannae have another drink

Post by Deacon » Wed May 25, 2016 3:45 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-36369507

Alcohol sales in 2015 were 20% higher in Scotland than they were in England and Wales, with each adult consuming the equivalent of 477 pints of beer. Total sales were the equivalent to 41 bottles of vodka or 116 bottles of wine for each adult.

So we know the Scots know good and well how to tie one on. This is not news, really. They seem to compete primarily with their Celtic brethren on the Emerald Isle and the stoic Ruskies for dominance in this regard.

But the rest of us like an occasional drink as well. So what's your poison?

Let's describe our preferences for beer, wine, liquor, and mixed drink. I'll start it off.

Beer: A hearty bock like Shiner, or a smooth Hefeweizen with a gentle squeeze of lemon

Wine: A robust Malbec is my go-to, or occasionally a chilled late harvest Riesling with a well rounded sweetness is a great option

Liquor: Whisky, meaning scotch, with an occasional bourbon thrown in the mix. Reasonably attainable examples include Bruichladdich's Classic Laddie will do nicely, a smooth Islay, or the Belvenie Caribbean Cask

Mixed: It's an endless list, but a stiff Moscow Mule is always refreshing, or a classic vodka with either cherry coke or maybe some cranberry juice and a twist of lime if you're looking to down a lot in a hurry
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Crazy Person

Re: I cannae have another drink

Post by The Cid » Wed May 25, 2016 4:06 pm

Beer - A sweet brown ale like Kona's Koko Brown, or an American Stout like Magic Hat Heart of Darkness or Left Hand Milk Stout.

Wine - A buttery chardonnay is my wine of choice. Not typically a big wine drinker though. Usually I only have it around family since my mom likes wine and nobody else in the family ever joins her. Also, wine tends to give me the worst hangovers.

Liquor - A good dark rum. I have a bottle of Flor De Cana Centenario and a bottle of Ron De Barrelito in my bar right now. There's a local small-batch distiller who does a white whiskey I love, too, especially around the holidays since it goes well with apple cider or egg nog.

Speaking of cider - Love a good, sweet hard cider. Downeast is really good, Woodchuck's Summer and Fall seasonals are both fantastic.

Mixed drink - Vodka martini, barely dry, slightly dirty, olive preferred over twist. I like them after a round of golf and a good cigar, because I'm exactly that much of a stereotype. I also can't say enough about the Dark and Stormy (ginger beer and dark rum), and as the weather's getting hot I'm probably going to be getting a craving for gin and tonic soon.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Wed May 25, 2016 4:34 pm

Beer - I'm all over the place. Usually I trend toward high gravity stouts such as Evil Twin's I love you with my stout. I had no qualms at paying $30 for a 750 of Stone Double Bastard when I found it on the beer list at a bar in Knoxville. My regulars are usually brown ales or bocks like Shiner, Newcastle, Dundee Honey Brown. The only 'mass produced' domestic I buy is generally Michelob Ultra.

Wine - Malbec/Merlot/Cab - Most anything dark and red.

Spirits - Bourbon or Whiskey neat, almost exclusively. Bulleit is about as cheap as I go and Four Roses single barrel is closer to my average purchase. Scotch is good I've just never gotten into it as heavily as the Bourbons.

Mixed Drinks - I really don't care for them as they're generally too sweet but every now and then I'll drink a Margarita or a Fuzzy Navel if the mood strikes.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed May 25, 2016 4:54 pm

Ooh, Cid, there's an old school, small-batch, pot-still dark rum distillery only about 90 minutes south of you in Newport, RI. I've got a bottle of theirs in my cabinet. You should check them out: http://thomastewrums.com/

Also, I didn't even think about martinis as far as mixed drinks, because to me there's pretty much vodka and ice. But I enjoy them quite a bit, generally completely dry (no vermouth) and maybe a little dirty, with blue cheese stuffed olives (or others).

raptor, if you're interested, you should check out http://www.whiskymarketing.org/category/blog/ where an old friend of mine with a deep love and expansive knowledge for whisky has started an offshoot of an incredibly awesome marketing training ground (that generally takes completely new and different tacks all the way around). They include some great lessons on scotch primarily as well as bourbon. He and his father (an author and college friend/bandmate of my dad's) are primarily responsible for my meager knowledge of whisky.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Wed May 25, 2016 11:12 pm

Deacon wrote:Ooh, Cid, there's an old school, small-batch, pot-still dark rum distillery only about 90 minutes south of you in Newport, RI.
Yes. I will get myself some of that. It looks excellent.
Deacon wrote:Also, I didn't even think about martinis as far as mixed drinks, because to me there's pretty much vodka and ice
Yet they're extremely hard to get right. I feel I can make a strong martini, but it has taken a lot of practice, and mine are inconsistent.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu May 26, 2016 12:26 am

I find it helps if the vodka is already chilled, and you use crushed ice. Less ice melts, but it gets it nice and cold and depending on your ice maker and pouring technique can leave just a couple little ice fragments floating on top, which I kind of like (as compared to a slushy lake covered in tiny icebergs, which annoys me).

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Thu May 26, 2016 11:02 am

Beer: Nope
Wine: Blackberry Merlot AKA "Hobo Wine"
Spirits: Rum dark and sweet like Capt Morgan's, Coconut Rum, Rumchata (so very very good)
Mixed: The more sugar and umbrellas it has the happier I am.

We have a hard Peach Lemonade this year that I am fond of.

So yeah while I consider myself a foodie I am at the trailer trash end when it comes to alcohol.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Sat May 28, 2016 4:18 am

beer?

i like dry plain beers these days. asahi. boring stuff. i've gotten pretty tired of the heavy-handed IPAs. but i'm pretty impartial. i like beer.

wine?

good cabs. syrah. a nice cianti with an italian dinner.

spirits?

i like too many for my own good. bourbon would be my favorite to sip any day. i also like a nice martini. but i guess that's a mixed. if i'm doing straight liquor, bourbon or whisky is pretty much all i go for.

mixed?

nothing too sweet. a nice old fashioned without fruity pulp, preferably with rye. a hendrix dry martini.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat May 28, 2016 4:49 am

I don't know if I've ever had a good old fashioned.

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Sun May 29, 2016 5:27 pm

A good old fashioned is very simple but requires particular ingredients. Here's my method.

Start with a nice tumbler, Old Overholt rye, Fee Brothers bitters, a pinch of brown sugar, an orange, and a BIG ice cube. Get a special ice cube tray that has like 2" square cubes.

Put a pinch of brown sugar in the tumbler, then splash maybe 5-6 squirts of bitters on top. Stir that up a bit. Put the ice cube in. Pour in the rye - about a doubles worth, but I just eyeball it and usually at the top of the ice cube is just right. Shake the tumbler a bit back and forth for a little mixing action. You can stir it if you want but I like the first sip to be pretty straight. Use a knife or potato peeler to get a strip of skin from the orange and stick that in. Rub the inner part around the lip of the glass.

Then drink that and make another.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon May 30, 2016 12:07 am

Nice. Sounds good.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue May 31, 2016 9:43 am

Honestly, and I've thought this before with similar conversations on here; I think Americans are much more discerning that Brits - or possibly even Europeans - when it comes to drinking. Maybe it's quality prioritised over quantity. I don't know. I'm struggling to answer these four questions, but I'll give it a go:

Beer: I like a pint of Moretti. Or if I'm buying from the supermarket, I like an ale such as Old Speckled Hen or Hobgoblin. If I'm being honest about the last two though, it's that I buy them mainly because they don't need chilled and I can drink them immediately.

Wine: I'm not fussy. Nicola has (had) a 'nothing under £4 rule' and a 'over £6 for a weekend night' policy but by the time I get to wine, I'm normally not able to tell a good from a bad anyway.

Spirits: Lately I've been drinking Dark Rum. Kraken is my rum of choice at the moment. I even love the smell of it.

Mixed: I've been getting more and more into cocktails of late. Espressotini for me please. Plus, saying 'tini' makes me feel like J.D. in Scrubs.

And that's that. I'm dry for June anyway so it's kind of academic. I do spend too much time casually drinking though. And certainly far too much time throwing up the mornings after nights out with my friends.
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Tue May 31, 2016 1:03 pm

Why dry for June? Some form of self punishment?
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue May 31, 2016 1:13 pm

I'm doing a Half-mudder at the end of June.

I signed up for it just after New Year when I was full of good intentions and self-loathing. I thought I would train for it. I haven't. I thought I'd be fit for our holiday at the beginning of July. I'm not.

I am afraid. Very afraid.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue May 31, 2016 3:40 pm

I'm not convinced about Americans being more discerning. There are certainly those who are, and I think as a whole the microbrew revolution over the last 10+ years has been good for educating and expanding horizons, sharpening palates, accelerated by social media like Pinterest and Instagram, sharing recipes and such on Facebook and the rise of the celebrity chef and accompanying reality shows based around creating great food. But the major rice-based "pilsners" like Miller Lite, Bud Light, etc, are still by far the best sellers. And by a massive amount. I'm all for education when it comes to food and drink. I want people to be able to enjoy something deeper than a dry hamburger and a can of Bud Light. Especially because they're things that don't have to be prohibitively expensive like enjoying a private island in the south pacific or what have you.

Of course, Europe has always had some of the best beer around, most notably the UK and Germany, with props to the Czechs as well. One thing I have absolutely never found in my travels in the US is anything like a hand-pumped real ale at a cool cellar temp like you can get occasionally at pubs in the UK (such as the one in Bath where I enjoyed a couple of pints with some surprisingly decent fish and chips with BtEO, though he doubted the wisdom of driving back to London after such a visit). They tend to be, as far as I'm concerned, some of the best stuff around. So sometimes it's about appreciating what you have in your own back yard.

Of course, there's always the Irish and Scottish whisky selection. With only rare exception, every sip over which we Americans furrow a brow and gaze toward the heavens in critical evaluation originates from Scottish isles or various parts of the mainland. And that's to say nothing of the local oysters and salmon available to enjoy with the whisky.

With all that said, anything that lets you feel like JD from Scrubs is bound to be a good thing.