Daily comic.......Really?

Talk about whatever you feel like.
shaggy2000
Redshirt

Daily comic.......Really?

Post by shaggy2000 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:35 am

So for the last few months it seems real life has been getting in the way of Greg doing his comics, and to be fair its getting a little disappointing. I've been a regular reader back to when the strips were black and white etc. been through the good and bad times, but now it just seems this site is slowly dying.

I mean I thought it was getting serious when we had one new strip a week, but now its closer to one a month.

Anyone else getting the same feeling that perhaps Greg is slowly turning his back on the site, I mean I don't think he's been to these forums in years.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Daily comic.......Really?

Post by Deacon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:10 pm

Depends on what you mean by "the site". Greg hasn't posted here in over 3 years. Liz posted here a couple times a little over two years ago, her last one saying, "I couldn't handle the attitude that was lingering in these parts for awhile... so I kind of put you guys out of my mind." That seems to sum up the status: people weren't happy that the Deans were taking their money and producing nothing to show for it, so they kept the money and left. Before that her last real post was in September of 2011, about how Greg was dropping the ball on the Real Life Support Group, essentially an early Patreon style recurring funding.

We're all different people than we were 3 to 5 years ago, at least in some ways. Greg and Liz's lives have changed as well. But the problem is that they took people's money for figurines, for the RLC Book 2, and for the RLSG. The figurines were partially resolved, in that a good number of people eventually got them (sometimes many months or even years after the fact). Book 2 turned into a full-on scam, and Greg kept taking people's RLSG money long after he stopped delivering promised stuff to paying members. Plus, there was either a flippant attitude about all of it, or they were in turmoil inside and chose to put on a hard face as their way of dealing with it. Either way, they chose to not make delivering on their paid promises a priority and sort of abandoned the community in order to leave it behind them and not have to think about it anymore.

Regardless, it's a sad situation. I hope at some point they decide to return. But at this point I'm assuming they're chalking it up to a lost cause they can forget about and put behind them, keeping the money and littering the respect of their fans along the road as they go.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Cyberliger777
Redshirt

Post by Cyberliger777 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:08 pm

I never knew the story behind how the community started dwindling. It happened in a time when I was busy with life and broke, so I never tried but the merchandise.

For the site, I would say that it feels like he is just don't it for fun now and not as a second job like it was. So it is just something he pays once in a while or when he thinks of a funny story.

EvilElf
Redshirt

Post by EvilElf » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:56 pm

I had been wondering what ever happened with the RLC V2, now I know.

shaggy2000
Redshirt

Post by shaggy2000 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:44 am

Ye, I remember when the books were announced, and I was soooooo tempted, even more so buy the Shirt Ninja figurine, guess I dodged a bullet on that one.

Oh, and by the way, when I said "slowly turning his back on the site" I meant the whole of the site, not just these forums. Like I said "back in the day" if Greg was going to miss a week or two of comics he would put a call out for guest artists to submit their work. Now it just seems he does a comic as and when he can be bothered.

Maybe Greg should just throw in the towel and call it a day.

FullMetal
Redshirt

Post by FullMetal » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Frankly, whatever Greg's dealing with is Greg's deal... Keep in mind he has a full time job besides the comic. He still has his fans. I still try to check daily, hoping he's got something new for me to laugh at. I've noticed his humor has matured, and you can see him growing into the roles that real life have him playing in the comic. I relate to this, I too have young children and a wife. and I completely relate to everything he's doing. Heck when things get busy for me, and a week goes buy without an update from him I'm not saddened. All I can say, is I'm glad he's still producing new work. unlike illiad (userfriendly.org). even if it is only two new comics for the month of june, 1 for the month of may... that's 3 more than illiad has done in the last how many years... I know illiad went through some serious stuff and he's done making comics and has set up the site to replay the strips ad infinitum.

I'm glad Greg didn't do that. I'm glad Greg is still producing the odd strip. I've been a fan for just as long. It is Greg who sets the pace at which the comics come. We as fans are not entitled to anything. and neither is Greg obligated to give us anything. I am a bit disheartened by the lack of updates, but that's my problem not Greg's. I hope Greg is ok, and that he will keep the comic alive. I'm more worried about his state of mind. and I feel if he needs to take a couple months off, go for it. All I'd like is if he is going to take time off to post a blurb about it ;). but as it stands I am going by what he last posted that he's busy and life is getting in the way. I completely get that. and I can completely understand the stress that a daily comic would bring to his plate if he had to do that on top of everything. I also understand he will lose fans with this but he's not going to lose them all.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:29 am

Deacon wrote:Regardless, it's a sad situation. I hope at some point they decide to return. But at this point I'm assuming they're chalking it up to a lost cause they can forget about and put behind them, keeping the money and littering the respect of their fans along the road as they go.
This is one of the reasons that I've been thinking about upgrading to phpBB 3.1 and going with whatever themes happen to look nice rather than try to cajole someone into making an RLC-based theme. Part of the trick, though, is just finding the time.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

JermCool
Redshirt

Post by JermCool » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:07 pm

Whatever you do, the ovals need to stay! Those avatars breaking will cause much heartbreak and dismay. Seriously - there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth!
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

Cyberliger777
Redshirt

Post by Cyberliger777 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:21 pm

I back this 100 percent. The ovals seemed strange when we first changed over, but it has been so much fun working with them to make new and creative avatars.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:43 pm

That might be possible. I'll see what I can do.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

JeppZer
Redshirt

Post by JeppZer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:56 pm

wait, ovals?

Sir Spankspeople
Redshirt

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:02 pm

JeppZer wrote:wait, ovals?
They're like squares but slightly rounder.
In vino veritas
In aqua sanitas

Cyberliger777
Redshirt

Post by Cyberliger777 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:57 am

And with a 28 degree turn to the right on the XY axis

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:03 am

JeppZer wrote:wait, ovals?