What is the Status of.....

Talk about whatever you feel like.
Fixer
Redshirt

What is the Status of.....

Post by Fixer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:26 pm

Ok, so it seems this place has almost died. As a result, I say we start sharing what we know about who we remember.

I have maintained some degree of contact with VektorTGecko, SirSpanksPeople, TheForumHillbilly, Jezebel, and three or four others whose nicknames I don't recall (because I use their real names and am not sure I should post them here).

I have shared the link to this thread with them, perhaps they can sign in and say who they have also been keeping track of, perhaps put 'the gang' together again.
I don't care who's right, who's wrong, or what you meant to say. Only thing I care about is the Truth. If you have it, good, share it. If not, find it. If you want to argue, do it with someone else.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: What is the Status of.....

Post by Deacon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:03 pm

I'm not sure I could say who all I've been keeping track of exactly. I'm friends on Facebook with quite a healthy handful of RLFers, some of whom I interact with more than others (some of whom it appears don't get on Facebook much or at least don't post).
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Fixer
Redshirt

Post by Fixer » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:34 pm

My point was to direct those that you know of from here back to this thread so they can decide whether or not they WANT to get back into contact.
I don't care who's right, who's wrong, or what you meant to say. Only thing I care about is the Truth. If you have it, good, share it. If not, find it. If you want to argue, do it with someone else.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:48 am

I'm the same. I don't think I really keep in contact with anyone beyond facebook.
IIRC, there IS a RL facebook page. Might be worth sharing this link on there. I'll do it this afternoon if I remember.
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:58 am

Yeah for me it's a handful: Deacon, Rors, Jez, Soph, MB, The Deans and a few others who's forum names I don't remember.

Other than facebook have you guys found another forum or site that you like to frequent? This forum has certainly given up for the most part. There was a big surge at a recent anniversary? maybe? and a lot of the forumites dropped in to say hello and then quickly wandered back off. I have had difficulty finding somewhere to chat with people that is interesting, well moderated (to keep the general asshatery to a minimum) and has a healthy population. Would love any suggestions.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:20 pm

FirebirdNC wrote:Other than facebook have you guys found another forum or site that you like to frequent?
I fell down a reddit rabbit hole and now I'm part of a private subreddit over there that serves forum-like functions. I still come here, but with less and less activity it's harder to think of something to post that the people left would like.

Hope everybody is well.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:38 pm

I have found a few forums that slake my posting jones, but I'd drop them all like a bad habit if this place emerged from its slumber.
To Let

Fixer
Redshirt

Post by Fixer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Rorschach wrote:I have found a few forums that slake my posting jones, but I'd drop them all like a bad habit if this place emerged from its slumber.
Well, it won't emerge unless we convince folks to come back for a visit.

I know, speaking for myself, the incidents of the past left a horrible taste in my mind for this place, specifically how badly certain incidents were handled. I know a lot of folks left around that same time.

However, given that things are so quiet now, perhaps some might be persuaded. I have asked those on my G+ to come and say hello, but so far I haven't seen anyone say anything here.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:32 pm

I wish I could put my finger on the reason for the site's decline. And it's not like we didn't see it coming. We tried, goodness knows, various things to try and get people to start posting again but it was like a horror movie in the end, with posters disappearing one-by-one.

Occasionally we've had drives and they've perhaps worked for a day or two but the necessary momentum was never gained. The infrastructure is gone too. There are no mods around. The Deans quit under some unfortunate circumstances. Maybe they could be persuaded to come back, but I don't know.

Don't mistake my pessimism for indifference. There were few sadder than me when the forums went South, and almost nothing on the internet would make me happier than to have the community back that I still remember so very fondly.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:39 pm

I think like MySpace it sort of just...fizzled. Time has passed, interests evolved and waned, priorities have changed, people have gotten married, had kids, etc. And of course new avenues for keeping up with each other (Facebook) have cropped up. Between that, the forum reorganization, the strictness of it, and the Deans bailing on the community as a whole, I think it was just one of those things that naturally petered out.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:58 am

And Lucksi. I also blame Lucksi.
To Let

Fixer
Redshirt

Post by Fixer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:05 pm

I have no idea what Lucksi is.

Ok, well, my efforts to revitalize this place through who I still know has fizzled, so I will go back to being one of the dearly departed as well.

For my contact info:
Google+
YouTube

Unless I am sick I usually respond in a day or so. I don't do Reddit, or Facebook, or pretty much anything else these days.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Don't take it too hard. We all tried pretty much everything.
It was worth a shot though.
To Let

gravity
Redshirt

Post by gravity » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:58 pm

This place is still alive!?

The things you learn when you're cleaning out old bookmarks on a new system.

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:15 am

Life support perhaps. But a few of us just won't quite give up on it. Even some lurkers. :shifty:

Rors: I wish there was one single clear reason for the decline as that would be something could be easily targeted for improvement.