Randomness

Talk about whatever you feel like.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Randomness

Post by Deacon » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:06 pm

You drink half a gallon of coffee per day on average? You shouldn't do that...
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:44 pm

Why? Coffee is packed full of good stuff. Sure it's higher than 'normal' caffeine intake but I'm still under the 600mg mark most days. I don't experience any of the side effects associated with caffeine and it's a 0 calorie drink that I enjoy. I drink 3-4 20oz yeti ramblers up to noon and switch to water in the afternoons. I usually put 2-3 oz of milk in the first cup and drink the rest black.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:23 pm

Knock it off with the ounces, you colonial ruffians. Ounces are weight. I don't understand them in liquid form.
Can't you use the standardised measurement of liquid?
The Russian?
To Let

NickGXZ
Crazy Person

Post by NickGXZ » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:18 am

Man, I could not keep up that kind of caffeine level.

I'm under 100mg/day, at most 200mg/day.
"The effort you put forth to anything transcends yourself, for there is no futility even in death." - Monty Oum

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." - Confucius

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." - Buddha

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:20 pm

I usually drink two 8-oz cups of americano per day (basically 1.5 to 2 espresso shots per 8-oz cup), as done by my DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic, using Starbucks Pike Place beans. That puts me somewhere around lwo 200's mg of caffeine daily, usually spread out throughout the morning (say 9am to 11am).

Rors, if it helps, 8 fluid ounces works out to a hair over 236ml.

Raptor drank nearly 1.2L of Death Wish coffee (40 fl oz). He usually gets to about 2L of coffee per day.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:35 pm

Yeah, on the metric conversion I just remember that 16oz = 1 pint = ~.5L (16.9oz). Now that most of the water bottles in the US have gone to .5L from 16 or 20 oz it's easier to remember. I really don't know why the US doesn't just make the leap to metric.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:53 pm

NickGXZ
Crazy Person

Post by NickGXZ » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:31 am

This is giving me a caffiene headache.
"The effort you put forth to anything transcends yourself, for there is no futility even in death." - Monty Oum

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." - Confucius

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." - Buddha

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:51 am

So gas stations are running out of gas in NC http://www.wral.com/nc-stations-run-out ... /16026385/. I am nervous as to what the next couple of week will bring for my business. If you were planning to travel somewhere and heard of gas shortages and outages would you still travel there? The gas prices are expected to rise here on the island this week as well. This is usually where business starts to drop off for me anyways, I am wondering if I should close at the end of the month rather than mid Oct like I have in the past.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:55 pm

That's crazy. So a pipeline goes down for a bit in Alabama, and now gas stations in North Carolina don't have anything to replenish their stores? And apparently it's considered acceptable reporting to talk about how "they ran out of everything but diesel gas." Because "diesel gas" is apparently a thing now. Not diesel, but diesel gas.

I can understand how the usual means of getting fuel delivered could be an issue, but how did they not plan around it?

I could see how such an issue--if I were aware of it--could impact my plans to travel to the area. If I had chartered a boat (or had my own I was planning to take out), I'd definitely be in touch with the charter or marina to make sure it's still on or whether they could top off the boat before they ran out. Unless it were an extended trip with multiple refuelings being necessary/planned. And if I were renting a car like we did for a few years there, I would be concerned about whether I would be able to refuel. The expense probably wouldn't bother me ,as I don't tend to buy refundable tickets and would just bite the bullet even if it cost me an extra $50 or $100 to drive down from Norfolk and back.

Regardless, that sucks and is annoying. I don't know how much lead time and planning it takes to shut down the deli, but if it's not much then I'd just keep going until things dropped below the point of it being worth it.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:47 pm

Hello chums. I've been a bit caught up in house stuff the last few weeks but I am thinking of you all. Especially at night when Nicola has gone to sleep. Oh yes. You especially.

Anyway. One step closer to Deus Ex.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... nt-by-2017
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:14 pm

That was an odd article, like an assignment to a junior writer.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Oh, you and the beeb. You're like cats and dogs. :p
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:32 am

Rorschach wrote:Hello chums. I've been a bit caught up in house stuff the last few weeks but I am thinking of you all. Especially at night when Nicola has gone to sleep. Oh yes. You especially.
I am going to hear "You especially" in my head as I am drifting off to sleep tonight I can feel it.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Mav
Respect the Wang
Omnicode: Dickbutts

Post by Mav » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:49 pm

FirebirdNC wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Hello chums. I've been a bit caught up in house stuff the last few weeks but I am thinking of you all. Especially at night when Nicola has gone to sleep. Oh yes. You especially.
I am going to hear "You especially" in my head as I am drifting off to sleep tonight I can feel it.
Don't let it bother you, he was talking to me.
Arc_Orion wrote:<Arc_Orion> Mav is like a very interestingly informed six year old.