Trucks!

Talk about whatever you feel like.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Trucks!

Post by Deacon » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:58 pm

I wanted to have my cake and eat it, too. That is, I wanted to keep the Jag and get the truck. But...I convinced myself I didn't need three vehicles. And the Jag wasn't increasing in value, only in cost of ownership. And while I very much enjoyed it, I never loved it. If I had a bigger house with a bigger garage further out toward the country, I'd probably keep it anyway and we could grow old together, but alas, it was not to be.

Plus, people make a constant fuss about oh how you must be rich or whatever (I paid $14,100 for the Jag) and hey moneybags and bosses saying we must be paying you too much and blah blah blah all the time, which is frustrating and annoying. Nobody says that with a $55k+ truck.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

adciv
Crazy Person

Post by adciv » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:07 am

YOU PAYED HOW MUCH FOR THAT TRUCK?!
Repensum Est Canicula
The most dangerous words from an Engineer: "I have an idea."
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:34 am

Haha, I'm talking about when new. I paid $19.8. Booked at $30.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Arc Orion
Crazy Person
Omnicode: sxy cm175 kg108 esO.contacts sp= Ag1985.September.20 anE hdd Lo47,226614N-122,46152W Rl! Kd! MBINTP FH! IN10 AdI PrC(2)^(8)

Post by Arc Orion » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:40 am

Oh shit, where can I get a truck that nice for nineteen dollars and eighty cents!? Yuk-yuk.
I need fewer water.

Greg Dean
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Greg Dean » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:46 am

adciv wrote:YOU PAYED HOW MUCH FOR THAT TRUCK?!
Dude, it's a NICE truck. I wouldn't personally spend that much on it, but just from the photos alone, I thought to myself "Yeah... that's about right."

Dude, you got it for a STEAL at $19,800. Well played, sir.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:11 am

Greg Dean wrote:Dude, it's a NICE truck.
I wouldn't personally spend that much on it, but just from the photos alone, I thought to myself "Yeah... that's about right."
I wouldn't spend that much on it, either, unless maybe I really had that kind of money to burn, but even then, I'm sure I could work out something. However, I'm happy to let someone else pay that for it and then get it after a year or two...
Dude, you got it for a STEAL at $19,800. Well played, sir.
Thanks, yeah, that's why I got it. I was looking at Ram 2500 4x4's (preferably Megacabs) with the 5.9L Cummins, which is a fantastic engine, but to get one like I wanted really was going to run me $30k, and I didn't really want to spend that kind of money. I think in the end that I made the right choice :)

Plus, this one has reverse sensors in the bumper. SUCH a good idea with a vehicle of this size. Makes backing up so much easier and stress-free.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Arise! So hopefully we can get this thread going a little more. Just ordered a set of 4 Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks for my 2011 F250. Installing tomorrow so we'll see how they ride. This was prompted by the lovely phenomenon known as super duty death wobble. I'm currently following this method of fixination.

[youtube]ZmP8kefje6w[/youtube]

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:29 pm

I love his videos. Helped a ton when I was doing my airbags. I'm "firekite" on the FTE forums, btw.

When you say death wobble, do you mean a shimmy, or do you mean a "OH GOD I'M GOING TO RUN OFF THE ROAD AND DIE IN A HEAD-ON COLLISION!" wobble? Personally I've had no problems with my 6.7. Generally, those kinds of issues are caused by badly balanced tires or worn components (tie rod ends mostly, often accelerated by oversize tires) or both. Stabilizers are generally just band-aids to mask the symptoms, not fixing the cause. Something to keep in mind. It certainly doesn't hurt to have them, and they can be good preventatives as well.

I'll be really interested to know your thoughts on those shocks. Do you have the FX4 package and thus the factory Rancho shocks?

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:49 pm

It's the full blown death wobble. I've checked everything out and can't find anything obviously worn or loose. I've read a few encounters of it happening with a blown shock or steering stabilizer. Hopefully this is my problem. Either way, next tire rotation I'm going to have my shop take a look at everything, check the alignment and balance the tires.

It's the FX4 package but the stock Rancho shocks were built to Ford's specs and seem to be quite lacking even compared to the non OE version (RS5000) based on what I've read. I've seen tons of accounts of guys with blown shocks in the first 15k miles on nothing rougher than a recently graded dirt road. When I started looking into solutions this seemed the cheapest and I was partially planning on moving to a beefed up suspension for towing anyway.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Trucks!

Post by Deacon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:55 pm

Air bags!

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:07 am

Yep that's on the short list along with a Pace Edwards full metal jackrabbit.
New shocks are on except for one of the front ones. It didn't rebound at all when I unlocked it so I am going to get them to send me a new one. Just left the stock shock on that side. The ride is better but kind of hard to explain. It rides stiffer without being rougher. You can definitely tell the difference with one of the factory shocks still in place. I think I'm going to have to drop the setting down a few notches to match the factory shock till the replacement comes in.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Trucks!

Post by Deacon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:24 am

Why the Jackrabbit? I haven't found I ever really wished I had a bed cover.

By the way, just to catch up, I ended up trading the '07 in for a brand new '11 F250 6.7L, and I love it. So much nicer inside and so much more power under the hood while also getting better fuel mileage.

Other than cab lights, window tint, and Firestone airbags with a wireless Air Lift controller for heavy loads, I have left it stock.

That's about to change, though, with a full replacement Ranch Hand Legend bumper front and rear and a Titan replacement fuel tank (from 26 gal to 51 gal) for much longer range for long hauls. No more need to fear deer on night roads in the hill country nor long distances between fuel stations.

I plan to keep this truck for many years. Now to pay it off...

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:41 pm

The jackrabbit is mainly to keep someone from walking off with my $3000 5th wheel hitch. But I also like the idea of my entire bed being a toolbox when I'm not hauling.

I'd like to do bumpers as well but was mainly looking at the Smittybilt M1 series or the RoadArmor stealth series. Wouldn't mind going with their M1 grill as well. I'm also looking into line-x'ing the chrome caps on my mirrors to match the paint.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Trucks!

Post by Deacon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Can't you just put a locking pin on the hitch? I didn't realize those were targets, however. What hitch is that? Even sliders only go for around $900 as far as I know...

I haven't looked into Shittybilt because
I have too much experience with them on Jeep stuff to go through that again, and I get insanely good hook-up prices on Ranch Hand stuff as long as I'm willing to drive to Houston (or at least Schulemberg). It's good to have friends :)

Let me know how the jackrabbit works out. Looks like a better choice than a toolbox for short beds like mine...

Arres
Crazy Person

Post by Arres » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Hey, uh guys. Manliness in here. My WIFE has an F150 King Ranch. So that happened. Testosterone. God I feel like such a chick in this conversation.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.