Trucks!

Talk about whatever you feel like.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Trucks!

Post by Deacon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:15 pm

How much weight do you plan to put on the trailer? Nothing wrong with a bumper pull, but nothing beats a gooseneck for smooth, controlled trailering. It has its own downsides, too, though.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Most likely max load including trailer weight will be around 10k. I'm figuring 6500 on the safe side for the tractor with rotary cutter (loaded tires and FEL adds 2k). I might put an ATV up front if there's room. The lower center of gravity and ability to shift the load around the axles should make for a pretty decent ride compared to say a 10k lb travel trailer. I think at this point i've narrowed it down to a 20-22' bumper pull under $4k or the $5100 24' gooseneck with the full width ramps. My bonus should hit the 5th so I'll see how much it is and go from there.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:47 pm

Your truck will handle it just fine. But for me pushing 10k like that and at those lengths I'd look hard at the gooseneck.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:34 am

Well, I got the 22' load trail 14k bumper pull with full width spring assisted ramps at an out the door price of $3999 which let's me dodge $400+ in sales tax. I just decided that as little as I tow the trailer will do fine. Unless I have the tractor loaded, I won't even need to use the weight distribution hitch. This should let me pick up air bags, a tonneau cover, a standard adjustable drop 2.5" shank 2 ball hitch, and a 1500 lb weight distribution hitch for what I was prepared to drop on a gooseneck tilt. The only sucky part is, it's a 3 hour drive from the in laws Saturday morning to pick the trailer up.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:52 am

You need a weight distributing hitch for that? Airbags are always a good idea. Post pics :)

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Technically, you're supposed to run a WD hitch on anything over about 8000 lbs with most 3/4 ton trucks (8500 for F250). While GMC doesn't mention a limit it says max towing limits assume use of a weight distribution hitch. My factory 2.5" receiver has a 13k/1500lb tongue weight limit. I've pulled a Kubota M4700 with loader on a similar 14k pipe top trailer and my truck had no problems with it, but that was without loaded tires and a rotary cutter. I don't anticipate issues but I also don't want to be driving at 65-70mph down the interstate and dealing with all the porpoising and crap that heavy bumper pulls tend to get up to.

I found a pretty cool site (I'll try to find a link in a bit) the other night that has realistic tow numbers for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks across the board, based on manufacturer weight limits. It points out that most advertised max towing limits for 5th wheel/gooseneck applications with 3/4 ton trucks is unattainable with safe pin weights. If you load that GN up to 15-25% like you're supposed to you've blown your Max Cargo by the time you hit 10-11K lbs. Almost every simulation put conventional towing at 3-4k lbs heavier than 5th wheel. You've added air bags to essentially make your F250 an F350 SRW but that doesn't change the sticker. Thankfully, I don't know that any DOT or insurance company pays attention to those ratings, so it might not matter. They generally look at axle trailer weights.

edit:
Here's the link to that site: http://fifthwheelst.com/2015-three-quar ... owing.html

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:00 pm

DOT shouldn't matter for private use. As long as you don't have a string of number decals on the door you should be fine in most states regardless.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:27 pm

Yeah that was supposed to be DOT/LEO. State police will pull you over if you appear to have an unsafe towing issue but I'd never let it get that far. If it doesn't handle well I'm not towing it like that. Too much work.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:40 pm

Saturday was a nice 7 hours of driving from the in-laws to pick up the trailer. Since I took this pic I've mounted the factory toolbox on the tongue. I've also ordered a spare tire, transport chains, and binders. Still need to pick up some 3 or 4" straps to toss in the toolbox as well. Turning in on the property at the house I drug the tail of the trailer and it sliced the wiring for the right side marker lights so I get to fix that this weekend. Hate it when i break in a new toy so soon after purchase.

Image Removed
Last edited by raptor9k on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Looks nice! Putting the first scratch on it just means you'll actually get to using it harder earlier :)

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:35 pm

Weekend before last I made it down to the deer lease for a ton of mowing and a successful opening weekend dove hunt.