The Guns and Weapons Thread

Talk about whatever you feel like.
raptor9k
Crazy Person

Re: The Guns and Weapons Thread

Post by raptor9k » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:35 pm

Deacon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:34 pm O RLY?
I happened upon a gently used Gen 3 G21SF 45ACP ($550) + 460Rowland.com Conversion never even opened (~$480) + 160 rounds of Underwood 185 gr ammo ($200) package deal that I paid $750 for. Since it's a Gen3 I'm planning on buying an alpha wolf long slide and 10mm barrel. You have to loctite the comp and wait 1 day before firing so once it's in the slide I'm not taking it out. I'll leave the stock slide setup for the 460 Conversion and use the other slide for 10mm or if I want later a 45ACP 6" barrel.

Scored a Weatherby Vanguard series 2 Synthetic with Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50 in 257 Weatherby for $350 while I was at it. And a shit ton of reloading supplies at about 1/3 of street value.
FirebirdNC wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:10 am Question for the gun collectors here. My husband wants to buy a shotgun for his son for Christmas. He is looking for something to be used for home defense. I know he was talking about a Mossberg but they are pricey. He is looking to find something in the $300 range and compact design/easily handled. Suggestions?
I made a post a page or 2 back but at that price range I'd look at the Mossberg Maverrick 88 with an 18" barrel. Or look for a used Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590. Honestly right now it's really hard to find those types of guns, even online.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:56 pm

FirebirdNC wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:10 amQuestion for the gun collectors here. My husband wants to buy a shotgun for his son for Christmas. He is looking for something to be used for home defense. I know he was talking about a Mossberg but they are pricey. He is looking to find something in the $300 range and compact design/easily handled. Suggestions?
If you can find anything for that price, go for it. It’ll probably be fine, and it’ll almost certainly be pump action instead of semi auto. Go ahead and make sure it’s 12-ga. For home defense you’ll want a short barrel, which means at or just over 18”. Ideally it would already have an extended tube magazine, but aftermarket parts generally exist for that and aren’t difficult to add. Just a few things to keep in mind as you come across options in your budget.

Since there’s rarely a single right answer, I prefer to try to understand what I’m looking for and why, so I can feel like I’m making an informed decision. This is a decent article: https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/guns/ ... e-defense/
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:06 am

A former LAPD Chief once said, "There's no more terrifying sound than a shotgun racking in the dark."

I tend to believe that, making a pump-action more effective for home defense than a semi-auto. A shot never fired is a shot never wasted.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:22 pm

That's always been a little too inconsistent, for lack of a better word, for me. If someone is in your house with the intention to kill you, racking a shotgun as a warning is on my list as 'not worth it'. It means your gun wasn't loaded when you picked it up. What happens if the round doesn't feed properly and you have to clear a malfunction under stress, having just given away any element of surprise along with your location. You've also decreased your useful load by 1 round.

I'm all for yelling warnings as I aim a 12ga at your chest but I want every advantage I can possibly get if shit goes sideways. I never want to have to shoot someone. Moral and ethical implications aside, it's a huge pain in the ass. I also don't want to die to murphy's law. Maybe buy one of those cheap sound recorder sticks and tape it to the forend of the gun and just hit the button.

In other thread-worthy news I spent $3000 this week on 6 pistols. I only plan on keeping 2 of them but the prices were insanely low and I'm almost positive I can clear $2k over my investment between the 4 I plan on selling and all the ammo that came with them.

Gen 4 Glock 20 10mm FDE Cerakote - New in box
Gen 4 Glock 40 MOS 10mm with Lone Wolf threaded barrel and compensator + Vortex Razor 3moa red dot - minor holster wear
Smith and Wesson stainless 686 7-shot 357 with 7" barrel - Like New
Taurus stainless 8-shot 357with 8" ported barrel - Like New
Taurus Raging Bull stainless 5-shot 454 Casull with 8" ported barrel - minor holster wear
Taurus Raging Bull stainless 5-shot 454 Casull with 5" ported barrel - minor holster wear

The 2 357's came with 1075 rounds of mostly defensive/hunting ammo. The 2 454's came with 560 rounds of hunting ammo that sells between $35-50 per box of 20.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:02 am

The warning was the lock on the door to someone else’s home. It’s a decision everyone needs to consider and make long before such a scenario might be encountered. Not just firearms owners but those with access to any weapon like a bat or a knife or even less lethal options like taser guns.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:56 pm

I was right. Shipping out the last 2 this week. Sold all the ammo for ~$1500

Gen 4 Glock 20 10mm FDE Cerakote - sold for $900, paid $400
Smith and Wesson stainless 686 7-shot 357 with 7" barrel - was going to keep this one but ended up selling it for $875, paid $650
Taurus stainless 8-shot 357 with 8" ported barrel - sold for $650 paid $350
Taurus Raging Bull stainless 5-shot 454 Casull with 8" ported barrel - sold for $950 paid $500
Taurus Raging Bull stainless 5-shot 454 Casull with 5" ported barrel - sold for $850 paid $500

Kept the Gen 4 Glock 40 MOS 10mm.
Bought a new S&W 686 4" 6-shot performance center model.

May sell a 6" Ruger GP100 to go toward either the Super GP 100 or a S&W performance center 627/327 variant.
Wheel gun itch makes me want one in 9mm (986 or 929), 45acp (625/325), and 10mm (610) too.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:42 am

The only handgun I’d like to get ahold of is a Glock 19.

I just want CMMG to send me my damn Banshee already!

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:30 am

Just reminded me that I've always wanted a Springfield XD .40 cal #lifegoals
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:24 pm

I have decided I like 9mm more than .40 for basically everything. I still have a Glock 22, but I need to sell it for a Glock 19 instead.

By the way, my Banshee is finally out together, and I should get it before Christmas. Hooray! I picked up a spare 33-round Glock mag from Gun Mag Warehouse so I’ll have at least two mags available for use right away. I’m excited to run it :)

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:39 pm

I sold one of those a few years back. It was a nice pistol at a good price, but I preferred the XDm in 9mm to the point I never shot the 40. No real benefit over 9mm at the cost of magazine capacity and recoil.

Now that the ammunition crisis part deux is upon us I have a G40 10mm to feed. Thankfully, the reloading cache I purchased recently contained 500 Hornady HAP .40 cal 180gr hollow points and several pounds of 10mm compatible powders. Starline has already delivered my brass. I was also able to track down some Hornady XTP 180gr hollow points if I want to develop a hunting load for whitetail.

As an FYI, I picked up several of the 33rnd SGM Tactical glock mags after watching one of the IraqVeterean8888 meltdown videos. They run pretty great at $20/ea.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:44 pm

raptor9k wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:39 pmAs an FYI, I picked up several of the 33rnd SGM Tactical glock mags after watching one of the IraqVeterean8888 meltdown videos. They run pretty great at $20/ea.
Nice! Way better than $40 each.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:27 pm

Well, now that you got your banshee it's looking like you'll get to register it as an sbr... Sigh.

Jamie Bond
Agent 0.07
Agent 0.07

Post by Jamie Bond » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:16 pm

I bought a cheap air rifle this summer for target practice. I can shoot a can from 80 feet or so (The range is longer, but I need practice on my aim)
"Go get the Happy!"

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:21 pm

raptor9k wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:27 pm Well, now that you got your banshee it's looking like you'll get to register it as an sbr... Sigh.
Hopefully not. Now to get a suppressor for 9mm and for 7.62mm :)

Jamie Bond wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:16 pm I bought a cheap air rifle this summer for target practice. I can shoot a can from 80 feet or so (The range is longer, but I need practice on my aim)
Well cheap isn’t generally an indicator of quality. Lots of things affect how well you shoot. The shooter (you) is certainly an important part and often the weakest link. It usually is with me! But a lack of quality can lead to a lack of repeatable results.

If I were you, I’d suggest printing out some targets and figure out a way to hold them up. A discarded piece of cardboard and some clothes pins? Make a little stand out of stuff lying around? Whatever it is, standard size copy paper should be plenty large at your stated range of ~25 yards. This page has a lot of fun and interesting targets, but at first I would start with the “sight-in grid” one: https://nssf.wpengine.com/shooting/targets/

Aim for the exact same spot every time, no matter where the holes are punched for each shot. Try it a good 5 to 10 times, and see what the pattern looks like. Are they all fairly tightly grouped, just low and left or high and center or whatever it is? If so, time to adjust your sights accordingly and try it over again with a fresh sheet. But if they’re all over the map, then you need to figure out if it’s you or the rifle.

Lots of info out there to help beginners get down the basics of rifle shooting, but it shouldn’t be difficult to get fairly repeatable results within 25 yards like that even if the rifle isn’t great. Small things can start to have an impact like what part of your finger you’re using to pull the trigger and how you’re pulling it. For example, don’t pull the trigger. Instead, use the meaty pad of your finger (right about the middle of your fingerprint) to squeeze the trigger until it fires. It should surprise you when it goes off. Don’t jerk it or use the crook of your finger like I do, etc.

Just remember any spread between rounds you can multiply times 4 at 100 yards ;)