Talk about whatever you feel like.
raptor9k
Crazy Person

Re: The Guns and Weapons Thread

Post by raptor9k » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:35 pm

Deacon wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:34 pm
O RLY?
I happened upon a gently used Gen 3 G21SF 45ACP ($550) + 460Rowland.com Conversion never even opened (~$480) + 160 rounds of Underwood 185 gr ammo ($200) package deal that I paid $750 for. Since it's a Gen3 I'm planning on buying an alpha wolf long slide and 10mm barrel. You have to loctite the comp and wait 1 day before firing so once it's in the slide I'm not taking it out. I'll leave the stock slide setup for the 460 Conversion and use the other slide for 10mm or if I want later a 45ACP 6" barrel.

Scored a Weatherby Vanguard series 2 Synthetic with Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50 in 257 Weatherby for $350 while I was at it. And a shit ton of reloading supplies at about 1/3 of street value.
FirebirdNC wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:10 am
Question for the gun collectors here. My husband wants to buy a shotgun for his son for Christmas. He is looking for something to be used for home defense. I know he was talking about a Mossberg but they are pricey. He is looking to find something in the $300 range and compact design/easily handled. Suggestions?
I made a post a page or 2 back but at that price range I'd look at the Mossberg Maverrick 88 with an 18" barrel. Or look for a used Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590. Honestly right now it's really hard to find those types of guns, even online.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: The Guns and Weapons Thread

Post by Deacon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:56 pm

FirebirdNC wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:10 am
Question for the gun collectors here. My husband wants to buy a shotgun for his son for Christmas. He is looking for something to be used for home defense. I know he was talking about a Mossberg but they are pricey. He is looking to find something in the $300 range and compact design/easily handled. Suggestions?
If you can find anything for that price, go for it. It’ll probably be fine, and it’ll almost certainly be pump action instead of semi auto. Go ahead and make sure it’s 12-ga. For home defense you’ll want a short barrel, which means at or just over 18”. Ideally it would already have an extended tube magazine, but aftermarket parts generally exist for that and aren’t difficult to add. Just a few things to keep in mind as you come across options in your budget.

Since there’s rarely a single right answer, I prefer to try to understand what I’m looking for and why, so I can feel like I’m making an informed decision. This is a decent article: https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/guns/ ... e-defense/
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922