The Guns and Weapons Thread

Talk about whatever you feel like.
raptor9k
Crazy Person

Re: The Guns and Weapons Thread

Post by raptor9k » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:36 pm

Yep, but my stepdad is a gunsmith/FFL with a machine shop. This'll be my first project but he'll be there showing me the ropes. We'll cut, crown, and thread it on the lathe. I may start at 12.5" to get a feel for it and then shorten it to 12". I'm fine with it being as short as 10.5" but I prefer 12" for 7.62x39.

I plan on getting some mill time as well making a slide cut on my 4.5" XDm. I have the 5.25" XDm competition and it cycles so much faster/smoother I want to make a matching cut on the 4.5" slide to see if I can get them closer to the same experience. If it turns out well I might do the slide on my G19.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:49 am

7.62x39?? Why?

I’m curious what you mean about a slide cut. Google shows what looks like missing material like you’d have with a ported barrel. Pure just talking about removing material to reduce slide weight?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:36 pm

You didn't notice anything odd about that lower, like maybe the AK mag? PSA KS-47 pistol lower :D. I don't currently have anything that shoots 7.62x39 and figured it'd be a fun truck gun. I'm also planning an m92 PAP ak pistol build or I might just buy a PSA AK-P once AK Operator's Union signs off on their 5k round torture test for the gen 3 PSAK.

Yes on the slide cut. There's a reason all the high dollar Zev/SAI/Agency glocks have all kinds of stuff machined into the slide (It's not just for looks). Every bit of material you can safely remove decreases cycle time and even helps a bit with felt recoil on lighter calibers like 9mm. If you look at the top of an XDm 5.25 or a Glock 34/35 they make an oblong cut between the front sight and ejection port to lighten things up as those are considered competition guns even in their stock form. If I were going to do a ported barrel I'd just put a threaded barrel in it and hang a comp off the end, which is sort of in the plans at some point...I'd really like to acquire either a Glock 21 or an XDm 5.25 in .45 ACP and convert it to 460 Rowland. 44 mag ballistics with much lighter recoil even in a polymer framed auto. Too many ideas...

I love the way my XDm 5.25 cycles so I figured I can make a similar cut to lighten the slide of the 4.5 (heavier despite the extra length on the 5.25) and improve the feel.

I'm also still planning a 12" Tromix .458 Socom build. Just need the barrel/bolt and handguards on that one.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:53 pm

Wow. You’ve got a great collection. I’m going to put a few unused hunting rifles up on gunbroker soon to raise some cash, but they’re morning particularly special. The “nicest” one is probably the Browning BLR lightweight takedown in .308. Great little lever action with a removable box magazine and a brilliant little Leupold VX-1 1-4x20 mounted and zeroed for quick and easy shouldering and aiming. Perfect stalker.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:35 pm

Sounds like a good brush gun. The 1-4 optic is a beautiful thing. I put a Trijicon TR-24g 1-4x24 with the BAC reticle (green triangle on a stick) on one of my guns and it's awesome. Selling them always sucks but you can always buy more later.

I decided not to free float the handguards on this one so I've ordered a Magpul MOE SL carbine handguard and a K2 plus grip. Ordered a UTG A2 slimline rear sight as well.