The Guns and Weapons Thread

Talk about whatever you feel like.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: The Guns and Weapons Thread

Post by Deacon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:33 pm

That's good to hear. I need to go ahead and start ordering parts as the budget allows, and just assemble it all when I get enough to act on. Trying to build a processing complex right now, which as it turns out is super expensive now that I've gotten all fancy with it instead of just a long shed finished out like I had originally thought. Click to embiggen.

The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:04 pm

The Shockwave is as effective as the sig brace. Haven't shot it yet but I like it. I may take it off and put it on the other gun to see if it'll let the charging handle I'd like to run on all my guns clear. If it works then I'll buy another one and sell the hex tube and sig brace or build another pistol with it lol.
I'm putting my talents and skills to use for a business so that I receive compensatory funds that I may then choose to spend and invest and save as I see fit. If I choose to blow it all on hookers and Dr. Seuss books, I don't see how that means you owe me a comfortable retirement. - Deacon

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Which charging handle?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:12 pm

BCM gunfighter Mod 4 on most of them. I might look at doing a fortis hammer or a ranier ambi raptor on my 16" rifle though. And when I mention swapping it to the other pistol it's to check clearance on that particular upper. I've already checked the BCM charging handle on the new pistol and it cleared fine. It looks like the castle nut is a bit thicker on the 300 blackout.
I'm putting my talents and skills to use for a business so that I receive compensatory funds that I may then choose to spend and invest and save as I see fit. If I choose to blow it all on hookers and Dr. Seuss books, I don't see how that means you owe me a comfortable retirement. - Deacon

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:14 pm

Ever think about running a SCAR-style side charger? Seems like it'd be better for scoped rifles.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:58 pm

All of my optics are mounted further forward on cantilever mounts, but I also tend to adopt a nose to the charging handle cheek weld. I definitely want a side-charge upper for the 300 win mag when I get there. I've never see a huge need for it with the 5.56 and there aren't many companies that do it well at a reasonable cost.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:07 pm

Yeah the BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 is pretty great :)

Dumb question: can you run a gas piston on one of those 9mm setups? It seems like the bolt is different so the carrier would have to be different as well, right? Meaning no luck, it's DI only.

EDIT: Looks like there's more to it: https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html ... 5&t=628981

And of course most 9mm are actually a straight blowback style rather than DI, which makes sense. Never mind :)

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:12 pm

Yeah, 9mm is blowback, hence the need for heavier buffers. I've never been a huge fan of piston ARs. Seems like added weight to solve a problem that doesn't really exist for most applications. Reliability of DI is unquestionable even in shitty environments when you take care of your equipment. One of these days I'll probably add one to the collection just for kicks but I have many more projects to complete before then. I'm currently fighting the urge to bump the 458 socom upper in front of the 9mm project but I might lose that fight. I can build a complete 458 upper for around $800 but a full 9mm setup is going to cost me quite a bit more. Having a 12.5" 45-70 is so tempting. It all goes on hold till the end of hunting season though. Too much to buy this year between dove and deer season.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:13 pm

For me, 9mm is a whole helluvalot cheaper to shoot than 458 SOCOM :)

I'd still like an integrally suppressed 300 Blackout...

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:16 pm

Heads up, if you're looking for 10mm range ammo, there appears to be a pretty great deal available right now from Target Sports USA. I've gotten lots of 9mm from them before with no issues. Free shipping when you buy a case.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:16 pm

I finally pulled the trigger on a Blue Force Gear VCAS and couldn't be happier aside from the fact that I'm having to retrofit all my ARs with QD attachment points. Three of them have Troy Alpha rails and I'll be using the longer section with the QD socket mounted on the 9 o'clock position for the forward attachment point. I picked up an Impact Weapon Components micro QD socket with the intent of using it on one of the vent holes on the Troy rail but I've decided to drill a half inch hole in the A2 stock on my 18" SPR and add a QD point to that rather than upgrading it to a MOE fixed rifle stock or something else with marginally improved utility. Brownells had BCM QD endplates for $17 each so I've ordered 3 to get a rear QD attachment point on the 2 pistols + the new lower I just picked up last night for my 458 build. I still haven't decided on a forward mounting solution for my 10.5" 5.56 with Rock River Advanced Half Quad rail. I could do a rail mounted solution with it but I'll have to see if I want the sling mounted that far out (there are 2-3" rail sections machined into the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions).

I also ordered a set of fixed Troy sights for the 10.5" 5.56 pistol. I thought about doing the usual Magpul MBUS flip ups but decided there wasn't a need as this gun will never have a magnified optic on it. If I put anything on it I'll go with a 1x red dot and just set it up with absolute co-witness and shoot through the irons. I may actually buy a second set of the fixed Troy sights if I like them and move the Magpul flip-ups from the 10.5" 300 blackout back to the 18" SPR.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:43 am

Consider me suitably shamed. I've never even once put that much thought into slings :)

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Hah, we all gotta have a hobby man. The QD socket in the A2 buttstock turned out pretty awesome. I'll test it as is for stability and then may take it out and JB Weld it in place to make it permanent. I ended up grabbing a 45 degree offset rail mount QD socket from IWC for the 10.5" 5.56 pistol. The troy sights turned out awesome as well. I'll be purchasing a second set for my 10.5" 300BLK and putting these sights on anything shorter than 16" from here out.

Here's the 5.56 with the Troy sights. QD end plates and rail adapters haven't gotten here yet.

FireAza
Crazy Person

Post by FireAza » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:24 pm

Nothing like a sexy Italian!

Airsoft obviously, but the realism is rather impressive. It's all-metal, has blowback, the slide stays open after you fire the last round, the safety is functional (and doesn't decock the hammer since it's based on the original version of the M92 and not the later version) and you can chamber a round by either racking the slide, cocking the hammer or pulling the two-stage trigger. You can even use genuine Beretta grips! It even disassembles the same way as the real deal!
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:25 pm

I had an M9 but sold it. It was a decent gun but there are much better options out there. Hopefully they aren't selling those in the US. This is how kids get killed by pointing something like that at a cop.