The Guns and Weapons Thread

Talk about whatever you feel like.
JermCool
Crazy Person

Re: The Guns and Weapons Thread

Post by JermCool » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:39 pm

raptor9k wrote:If you shoulder an AR pistol in any way regardless of what kind of buffer tube or arm brace may or may not be currently installed, the gun magically transforms into an SBR and you're a felon. Haven't seen this type of logical gymnastics in quite some time.
Holy crap, that's a level of stupid I've not seen in a long time. I mean, the arm brace would make for a crappy stock, but still... Look! It's a pistol! Look! Now it's a rifle!
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:37 pm

The arm brace isn't all that bad actually. Not perfect but functional. They must've searched long and hard for whatever dictionary they found that defined 're-designed' as not requiring a physical change to the item in question.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:49 am

It's all bullshit academic anyway, ways for government bureaucrats to split hairs in denying you your rights unless you pay to get them back.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:32 pm

On Sunday I made the drive out to New Braunfels to meet up with the Quarter Circle 10 folks, having been very thoughtfully notified of their impending presence by our good friend raptor over there. I got to demo their suppressed and standard 9mm Glock lowers, modified for full-auto functionality, bringing through 33 round magazines. It was awesome, and I got to pick their brains, and I'm anticipating an email shortly from one of their tech guys with a parts lost and some specific recommendations. No doubt I will end up slightly poorer as a result.

I'm thinking 7.5" barrel, pistol buffer, and a Sig brace alternative like the Shockwave or others.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:09 pm

Yeah, 7.5 on a 9mm should be awesome. Full power and very compact. I want one of their 10mm lowers as well. Talk about a short rang hog gun...

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Why 10mm over .40? Or 9mm for that matter?

PS Luckily we don't really have too many hogs to deal with out here at the moment. This is more an exercise in a fun plinking gun and a zombie or SHTF option. 9mm is everywhere, after all :)

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:13 am

10mm comes after 9mm. As in, I want two of them. 10mm mainly just to have one but I'm pretty sure you could build a 45acp off that large frame glock lower too.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:24 pm

I don't think you have to choose. You can do 9/40/45 off the small frame Glock lower, right? Just swap bolt and barrel?

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:54 pm

I don't keep up with glock so the last I handled one all the 10/45 were large frame, but that saves me $275. For now an AR-10 is next on the list, then I'll start looking into a 9mm lower. The 300 win mag AR will cost so much to feed it's not really on my priority list. The only pistol on the priority list right now is a XDm .45 threaded barrel or 5.25 competition model.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:39 am

Anything costs a lot to feed these days. Even .308 isn't exactly inexpensive.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:19 pm

I have a decent stock of mil-spec .308 that should be reloadable. Bullets, powder, and primers are decently cheap. The only 300 win mag brass I have is stuff I've shot in my Ruger Magnum Hunter. It'll be a while before I could reload enough to feed a semi-auto.

Tripplebravo is doing a quarter circle 10 9mm build right now. Based on his comments on instagram the 10mm/45 requires the large frame glock lower. The new SF glocks apparently use the same magazines as the LF glocks, they just have less material in the grip for folks with smaller hands. So I'll be buying both lowers at some point. As interesting as this is to me it might get bumped in front of the AR-10. It'll be around the same build cost depending on what route I go but I'll definitely build it out as a pistol.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Ah, yeah, it's only the GAP variants. Looks like .45 ACP is left out. I think that's part of the reason Glock came up with the GAP rounds, to fit the rest of the small-frame magazine designs: 9mm/.40/.357sig/.40GAP/.45GAP

https://www.quartercircle10.com/product ... ame-lower/

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:10 pm

Yep. I have a Shockwave Blade with KAK tube inbound for my 5.56 pistol. I'll let you know my thoughts on it vs the Sig brace and all that once I get it installed.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:35 pm

Please do! I know a lot of guys order several different things just to see what they like best, but that's not something my wallet allows right now...

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:09 pm

Eh, I have 2 pistols so figured I'd give it a try. Right now the 5.56 has an A1 buffer setup, wrapped in foam with a crutch tip on the end. My 300 BLK pistol has a HEX-2 buffer tube with the sig brace on it but you have to use a mil-spec charging handle with it. The castle nut blocks my BCM gunfighter medium latch charging handle. You can't even pull it back. The lower doesn't look like it's out of spec but who knows. I haven't put calipers on the castle nut and end plate to see if they're oversize. If I like the Shockwave I might order another for the 300BLK.