The Guns and Weapons Thread

Talk about whatever you feel like.
raptor9k
Crazy Person

Re: The Guns and Weapons Thread

Post by raptor9k » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:36 pm

You didn't notice anything odd about that lower, like maybe the AK mag? PSA KS-47 pistol lower :D. I don't currently have anything that shoots 7.62x39 and figured it'd be a fun truck gun. I'm also planning an m92 PAP ak pistol build or I might just buy a PSA AK-P once AK Operator's Union signs off on their 5k round torture test for the gen 3 PSAK.

Yes on the slide cut. There's a reason all the high dollar Zev/SAI/Agency glocks have all kinds of stuff machined into the slide (It's not just for looks). Every bit of material you can safely remove decreases cycle time and even helps a bit with felt recoil on lighter calibers like 9mm. If you look at the top of an XDm 5.25 or a Glock 34/35 they make an oblong cut between the front sight and ejection port to lighten things up as those are considered competition guns even in their stock form. If I were going to do a ported barrel I'd just put a threaded barrel in it and hang a comp off the end, which is sort of in the plans at some point...I'd really like to acquire either a Glock 21 or an XDm 5.25 in .45 ACP and convert it to 460 Rowland. 44 mag ballistics with much lighter recoil even in a polymer framed auto. Too many ideas...

I love the way my XDm 5.25 cycles so I figured I can make a similar cut to lighten the slide of the 4.5 (heavier despite the extra length on the 5.25) and improve the feel.

I'm also still planning a 12" Tromix .458 Socom build. Just need the barrel/bolt and handguards on that one.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:53 pm

Wow. You’ve got a great collection. I’m going to put a few unused hunting rifles up on gunbroker soon to raise some cash, but they’re morning particularly special. The “nicest” one is probably the Browning BLR lightweight takedown in .308. Great little lever action with a removable box magazine and a brilliant little Leupold VX-1 1-4x20 mounted and zeroed for quick and easy shouldering and aiming. Perfect stalker.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:35 pm

Sounds like a good brush gun. The 1-4 optic is a beautiful thing. I put a Trijicon TR-24g 1-4x24 with the BAC reticle (green triangle on a stick) on one of my guns and it's awesome. Selling them always sucks but you can always buy more later.

I decided not to free float the handguards on this one so I've ordered a Magpul MOE SL carbine handguard and a K2 plus grip. Ordered a UTG A2 slimline rear sight as well.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:17 am

Removed
Last edited by raptor9k on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:30 am

One day I’d still like a smooth running 9mm SBR with last round bold hold open and Glock mag compatibility. One day.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:22 pm

I'm pretty happy with the New Frontier build. Their LRBHO is just a piece of wire in the upper that engages the bolt catch when the mag follower hits it. Simple and about half the cost of a Quarter Circle 10.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:08 pm

Now this might be interesting... Palmetto State Armory has announced what’s supposed to be an affordable MP5 clone in conjunction with Magpul. We’ll have to see how affordable.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/ ... ternative/
Last edited by Deacon on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:50 pm

Yeah, I noticed that. They built it around their Scorpion mag clone used by the AK-V, which I'm planning on adding to the collection, but it will still run on MP5 mags. My guess is $1200 or less on the PSA5...maybe even sub $1k.

After I picked up the AK-P my stepdad bought one of their GF3 MOEKov AKs. I was planning on grabbing one this year but now that they've released the AK-E with a CHF FN barrel I may have to go with that option.

The JAKL looks pretty awesome as well. I've wanted a Faxon ARAK-21 upper for a while but I think the JAKL will probably come in quite a bit cheaper.

rinkymehra
Crazy Person

Post by rinkymehra » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:43 am

That Keltec gun seems a little unreliable though, and wicked on the recoil. It is cheap though, but Jesus, that seems like a gun with A LOT of downsides when it comes to personal protection. I.E. it seems prone to jamming and is harder than normal to solve a jam.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:37 pm

Are you a bot?

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:35 am

Asian IP address, so we're watching.

On a different note, recommendations for a moderately-priced 12ga shotgun? Preferably with a 6+ round capacity, multipurpose use.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:48 pm

Define moderately. Pump or auto? Home defense?

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:20 pm

Yes, moderate is very much in the eye of the beholder when it comes to price! :)

Also, every firearm is multipurpose, but understanding its primary intended usage would be helpful.

A regular old Mossberg 500 is available in both 20 and 12 gauge and is an affordable and reliable pump action option for sporting and home defense purposes. Pretty much any pump or semi-auto shotgun is going to offer 5+1 or more (if you pull the hunting plug that is otherwise required for 2+1 migratory and water fowl hunting). Often aftermarket tube extensions are available to fit a few more rounds as well.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:31 am

300 or under Mossberg Maverick 88.

Mossberg 590/500 or a Remington 870 are hard to beat. Mine is an 870 3.5" with a 23" turkey barrel and rifle sights. Those options would be in the $450-600 range if you go for the factory extended tube hd models. If I were shopping right now for a dedicated hd shotgun it would be a 590.

For an auto I like the Remington V3 or a Beretta 1301 since Franchi doesn't make an hd model. ~$1k. I wasn't super impressed with the Mossberg 930 but the Jerry Miculek models look pretty nice.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:29 am

I have the 590A1 for my home defense since 2012, with an extended tube and spring. And an 870 set up with the shorter barrel. Why choose when you can have both? :)