Anything into oil?

Talk about whatever you feel like.
SothThe69th
Crazy Person

Anything into oil?

Post by SothThe69th » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:13 pm

Perusing the typical websites I typically peruse, I came across this- A process has been invented to turn literally ANYTHING into oil, and, aside from that, its efficient to boot! Initial tests have been with Turkey guts, but this could be the future of recycling as well.

Turkey gut oil
SIG TREND OF THE MONTH IS BLANK SIGS BECAUSE I GOT LAZY AND DIDN'T MAKE THE THING AND STUFF.
"Soth, you truly exemplify the gallant, hopeless romantic.." Lunatic Jedi

Fixer
Crazy Person

Post by Fixer » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:38 pm

Ok, I've read it, and I can get my brain around it (don't ask me to explain it).

I must concurr. This does appear to be the next evolutionary step in recycling. Although.... there must be other waste products that aren't actually in the article. If they ground up anything with glow-in-the-dark properties, they would have a minimal amount of radioactive material. Wonder where that would come out.
I don't care who's right, who's wrong, or what you meant to say. Only thing I care about is the Truth. If you have it, good, share it. If not, find it. If you want to argue, do it with someone else.

Br34d
Crazy Person

Post by Br34d » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:39 pm

I didn't read it all but, how does burning MORE oil slow down global warming?
"Frat boys and geeks are mortal enemies, like Jedi and sith, and like... spaghetti and milk." - Gimpy

Fael-Inis
Crazy Person

Post by Fael-Inis » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:41 pm

Old news, I'm afraid to say. I heard about it sometime last week, and knew about the idea for ages before that. But it's still cool :)

Fixer: They did say that they can process anything BUT radioactive materials... *grin* I would think that they would probably try to be careful about that sort of thing... :)
"I am a badly-informed conspiracy theorist (I think there's SOME bad shit going on, I just don't know what)." - Rorschach

SothThe69th
Crazy Person

Post by SothThe69th » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:41 pm

Its light oil Br34d. Hence, less pollutants than your average oil. You really should've read the whole thing.
SIG TREND OF THE MONTH IS BLANK SIGS BECAUSE I GOT LAZY AND DIDN'T MAKE THE THING AND STUFF.
"Soth, you truly exemplify the gallant, hopeless romantic.." Lunatic Jedi

Fixer
Crazy Person

Post by Fixer » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:43 pm

Gee... if I can get the stuff I'm working on to be big commercially, and this recycling stuff gets big... this century will think what happened in the last one will be like ancient history when people had to worry about trash and their health. W00t!

Go Better World!
I don't care who's right, who's wrong, or what you meant to say. Only thing I care about is the Truth. If you have it, good, share it. If not, find it. If you want to argue, do it with someone else.

Fael-Inis
Crazy Person

Post by Fael-Inis » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:45 pm

*chuckles* That may be, Fixer... That may be...
"I am a badly-informed conspiracy theorist (I think there's SOME bad shit going on, I just don't know what)." - Rorschach

Br34d
Crazy Person

Post by Br34d » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:48 pm

Oh okay. Makes sence.
They should change the title of the article though. Cause 'Crude oil' even with light on the front seems to throw me off.

I just hope these plants dont smell like the KFC near my school. Even blocks and blocks away you can smell the STENCH coming from that place.
"Frat boys and geeks are mortal enemies, like Jedi and sith, and like... spaghetti and milk." - Gimpy

Beware of the Leopard
Crazy Person

Post by Beware of the Leopard » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:10 pm

Also, read the bottom of the article for the explanation on CO2. Being light oil has little to do with it. A hydrocarbon releases the same amount of CO2 no matter where it comes from. The difference is where the carbon comes from. With the burning of crude oil, you free carbon thats been trapped under ground for millions of years and will likely stay that way if undisturbed. The carbon from bio-waste comes from... and this is quite possibly the most awesome thing about this... the atmosphere! It in no way disrupts the CO2 levels because the carbon used to create bio-mass in living things came from plants which used photosynthesis to turn CO2 into biomass in the first place. It's a completely cyclical use of carbon, so its very groovy. :)

And it would smell less than a landfill of rotting turkey carcasses, I'll tell you that much.
"I think all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not, and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am."

XenoWolf
Crazy Person

Post by XenoWolf » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:24 pm

About 15 miles from where I live, in St. Clair, Pennsylvania, there is a local man who is investing over 300 million dollars into a plant that will be able to turn the formerly un-usable leftover coal and coal silt into crude oil that will be able to be turned into any oil-based product that we currently use. (No having to create specialized engines to burn a certain gasoline, etc) If successful, this could greatly increase the amount of domestic oil we can create/use... not to mention bring a ton of new jobs to this area, which is bordering on economic depression at the moment. I havent read the article yet, i'm about to go eat dinner.. so, neh.

Beware of the Leopard
Crazy Person

Post by Beware of the Leopard » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:31 pm

I think you're talking about the same thing. This process works with fossil fuel waste as well.
"I think all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not, and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am."

Eihger
Crazy Person

Post by Eihger » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:33 pm

acctualy its the other way around oils turns into everything
"Water is fluid, soft, and yielding. But water will wear away rock which is rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft, and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: whatever is soft is strong."
~Lao Tzu

People are catastrophically stupid; persons are intriguingly smart
My DoW2 Mod Men of the 89th

Beware of the Leopard
Crazy Person

Post by Beware of the Leopard » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:44 pm

yes, but when you use everything, waste is generated. that waste can be turned to oil whick can be used to create things or burn for energy.

did I miss your point? please explain

XenoWolf
Crazy Person

Post by XenoWolf » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:44 pm

Eihger, i'm not even going to bother correcting.. lol

Leopard: Possibly, but I believe the plant in St. Clair is going to work solely with coal waste.. maybe other things are in the works though.

Eihger
Crazy Person

Post by Eihger » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:46 pm

what heat oil a certain way get certain things
"Water is fluid, soft, and yielding. But water will wear away rock which is rigid and cannot yield. As a rule, whatever is fluid, soft, and yielding will overcome whatever is rigid and hard. This is another paradox: whatever is soft is strong."
~Lao Tzu

People are catastrophically stupid; persons are intriguingly smart
My DoW2 Mod Men of the 89th