Cutting the Cord

Talk about whatever you feel like.
FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Cutting the Cord

Post by FirebirdNC » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:08 am

My cable bill fees just went up again for no reason and I am frankly over it. I have been looking into cutting the cable. There are a lot of guides and services and equipment and it gets very confusing. Does anyone have RL experience or advice from what they have found? I watch a lot of TV so I need replacement options.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Cutting the Cord

Post by Deacon » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:11 am

Honestly I just pay it. I’ve tried various means of cutting the cord, most recently YouTube TV which still is just shifting which you pay, and it’s still just not as good as a solid DVR and traditional cable/satellite/fiber.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

werefrog
Crazy Person

Post by werefrog » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:20 am

The Werefrog have found that streaming on the computer is usually good enough. Also, since The Werefrog normally watch network tv, a simple digital antenna is what The Werefrog have on the tv.

As far a streaming, Hulu was decent until they cancelled the service with the blu-ray player The Werefrog have. Then, they got cancelled. Amazon Prime is okay if you are fine with supporting Amazon. The Werefrog, however, have found that no cable, use internet websites for streaming, can be good enough.

The parents of The Werefrog got a Roku with Tablo and have found it sufficient for what they want.

Most of the streaming services have a free period for testing them, usually a week, 2 weeks, or a month. Give them a shot and see if you get all that you want.
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:03 pm

When my son was born and the exhaustion set in we went from watching TV 5-6 hours an evening to maybe an hour a week. At the time we were paying ~$100/mo for DirecTV + $9/mo for Netflix and it seemed pretty pointless. I don't watch sports and most of our favorite shows were already on Netflix so we decided to get rid of the satellite and look at redistributing that money toward other entertainment options (and the new $1000+/mo in childcare expenses). Even though my son is now 6 the wife and I still only watch 2-3 hours of TV a week.

If you watch a lot of TV you're probably not going to like truly cutting the cord. It goes from everything in one location to having to cobble together multiple services/apps. Everyone decided they wanted to charge $6-15 a month for the individual apps and it all adds up to what you were paying for cable if you try to get access to all the things. The 'cord cutter' tv packages offered by Youtube/DirectTV/etc. are just cable over the internet and are priced as such.

At this point we mainly consume Amazon Instant Video (included in Prime) and Netflix (now $14/mo). I do have access to my in-laws Dish credentials for apps that will auth with Dish, but we really only use them for the NickJr/Disney apps for my son. I may look into the new Disney+ streaming service for my son given the fairly low subscription cost. I've periodically paid the $9 or so for Hulu if there was a current season TV show I was interested in but honestly the service was pretty unreliable at the time.

My personal choice for hardware was an Amazon Firestick 4k ($25 on prime day) and a chromecast ($25) on every TV with more than one HDMI input. We don't suckle at the teat of Apple so most of our digital content is evenly spread between Vudu, Google Play, and Amazon. We can easily cast most browser video content on the chromecast. Everything else generally has an app on the Firestick which has a dedicated remote. I tend to buy most of the movies we like digitally and now that Movies Anywhere is on the scene the vast majority are available on every platform after a single purchase.

If you want one device with access to everything I think Roku is your only option, but I really don't have any experience with Roku.

If you're truly done with paying high prices for cable then call them and tell them you want to cancel. Most likely you'll get transferred to customer retention and an immediate offer to sign a contract at a lower rate. If you don't mind actually cancelling you can shop the other offerings and see if a competitor has a package more tailored to your viewing habits. You could also just cancel for a month or 2 and see how long it takes you to exhaust the Netflix or Amazon library and then re-up as a 'new customer' if you want to go back to cable.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:23 am

Thanks Raptor some great advice. My plan is to call the cable co first but I wanted to make sure I could back up my threat if need be. I am currently paying $120/month just for TV. Does anyone have any experience with SlingTV?
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:37 pm

If you actually watch TV, and you’re trying to reduce costs, have you considered having a few different family members and/or local friends go in with you on a YouTube TV subscription? It supports up to 6 separate accounts, each with their own “DVR” and such. $50/mo, or divided by however many people you get on board.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:47 pm

We tried the $20/mo Sling TV offering when they first launched. At this point it should be a pretty solid offering if you don't need sports or extras. When they launched the app was a bit buggy but it mostly worked. By now it should be stable. I liked their take on live vs DVR. Each network had a list of shows that offered past episodes in on-demand fashion but with the live option you don't get with most apps. It was as easy to subscribe and cancel as my WoW account lol. At the time we got it for more variety than Netflix but we still realized it was a waste of money after going 2-3 weeks without launching the app.