Wiring it up

Talk about whatever you feel like.
FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Wiring it up

Post by FirebirdNC » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:58 am

So my husband and I are in the process of doing some remodel projects in anticipation of putting the house on the market in the fall. This has, of course, led us to daydream about our new house we will be building. I was talking about Ethernet cable being run along with the electrical wiring to every room needed and this leads me to two questions. 1) Is Ethernet going to stand the test of time for say 5-10 years or is there something bigger and badder coming down the pipeline. 2) Is having a fair amount of cable running through the house going to degrade the signal/cause issues? Any other dream house suggestions for someone who likes their gadgets and wifi? We are going to be out in the boonies so I feel like fiber optic is not something we will ever see.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Wiring it up

Post by Deacon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:28 am

1) Yes
2) No

String it up. CAT5e should be sufficient. 1Gbps speeds will last us for quite a while, especially with kids out of the house.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:40 pm

Yep. Cat5e is plenty. Cat6 would be some future proofing but probably not worth the cost. 10Gbps hardware is currently expensive enough that it's not worth it outside a server rack.

If you're doing this yourself don't run it right next to power. Run it next to your coax drops for your TV hookups and just run separate drops from the attic space for any rooms/walls you want a free jack on. It can be near power but the closer you get to a live power cable the more interference increases and speeds decrease. Think about your termination point very carefully because you can't really move it. A centrally located closet with a power outlet on the top shelf is a good place. Throw a gigabit switch up there and run every cable into the switch (you can get fancy and use a punchdown block and patch cables or just pull the cat5 through a dressed hole in the ceiling and put ends on the cables). Your Cable/DSL hardware doesn't have to be in the closet with the switch, you just plug the network side port of your modem/router into any of the wall drops and it will power the rest of the network via the switch.
I'm putting my talents and skills to use for a business so that I receive compensatory funds that I may then choose to spend and invest and save as I see fit. If I choose to blow it all on hookers and Dr. Seuss books, I don't see how that means you owe me a comfortable retirement. - Deacon

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 am

Great info, I would certainly have pulled it with the power lines.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:02 pm

I've done a few houses here and there but I've only ever done existing construction (pain in the ass). If you're doing new construction it's pretty easy. Tons of good youtube videos on running data cabling.
I'm putting my talents and skills to use for a business so that I receive compensatory funds that I may then choose to spend and invest and save as I see fit. If I choose to blow it all on hookers and Dr. Seuss books, I don't see how that means you owe me a comfortable retirement. - Deacon