Boredom Induced Creativity

There are many talented people in our community. Some share their talents through word, others through the visual medium. Share your work with us, and fine tune your technique with our constructive criticism.
Muspar
Crazy Person

Re: Boredom Induced Creativity

Post by Muspar » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:53 am

JermCool wrote:I suppose to expect I'll forgive you because you have a large sword?
That's pretty much why I got it. I plan to have "Please forgive me for not updating in 3 months" engraved on the blade.

... and if you're refering to genitals, the whole 'engraving' thing suddenly become cringe-worthy :shock:

JermCool
Crazy Person

Post by JermCool » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:35 pm

I'll settle for a tattoo.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

Muspar
Crazy Person

Post by Muspar » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:05 pm

JermCool wrote:I'll settle for a tattoo.
Done. Of course, there's no way for you to actually verify whether I do it or not, so you'll just have to take my word for it :D

On a side "non-genital related" note, my attempts at curbing my rampant videogame addiction has left me with a lot of free time to fill up, and since I've run out of rings for chainmail and must wait for a new shipment I'm able to put a lot of time into comics these days. Expect me to keep up a three(give or take)-comics-per-day schedule for a little while. Having said that, I've probably cursed myself and will end up out of ideas by friday :P

Arres
Crazy Person

Post by Arres » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:24 am

You might consider keeping those extras "in the hopper" so to speak, rather than blowing your load at 3 a day. Maybe keep a nice buffer and put one out a day, even if you're making 3. As a reader, I can tell you it's VERY annoying to not know when a comic will update.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Muspar
Crazy Person

Post by Muspar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:50 am

Arres wrote:You might consider keeping those extras "in the hopper" so to speak, rather than blowing your load at 3 a day
Yeah, I do plan on cutting back to 1 comic per day, but I had a couple of periods where I didn't do anything for several months and I want to make up for lost time. I'll only keep this up for a week or two, and then bring it down to 1 a day. Part of my problem is I want to get these comics uploaded before my own crippling self-doubt makes me delete them for not being awesome enough.

Arres
Crazy Person

Post by Arres » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:44 am

Honestly, I recommend not "making up". Especially at the point you're at. Get a buffer, and then establish a reputation for regular updates. Just a suggestion of course.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:28 pm

Yes, exactly. Every time there's a "No comic today guys" thing on a web coming it makes me wonder WTF they've been doing. This is especially maddening with people who do it as a full time job, like Scott Kurtz, who doesn't update sometimes until the afternoon. It's like hey, fatass, you don't have a job anymore. Get more than one comic strip done in a day so you have a backlog. It's just one of the reasons actual syndicated cartoonists don't respect you, no matter how many books you write about making comics instead of actually making your goddamn comic like a professional.

EDIT: Why, when I go to http://bic.smackjeeves.com/ does it not have any Previous link in there?

EDIT 2: Bonus Strip #2 should've had written in green: ...really means "I'm so close minded and convinced I'm right that I refuse to open my eyes and think for myself!" :)
Last edited by Deacon on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Muspar
Crazy Person

Post by Muspar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:41 pm

@Arres and Deacon: Ok, I'll take it back to 1 a day. I might still add bonus comics now and then, but only if I've already finished the comic for the next day so there wont be any missed updates. I'll also likely do some on weekends so I'll always have something on hand in case things get too busy.

I'm easily swayed by peer pressure, though I prefer to think of it as being willing to listen to advice.
Deacon wrote:Why, when I go to http://bic.smackjeeves.com/ does it not have any Previous link in there?
I think it's the new template from smackjeeves. The main page shows the latest comic in full size, whereas my old layout only had a small preview. If you click on the comic itself it'll take you to the actual comic page and the Previous link should be down at the bottom.

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Personally, I just use feeds. If it updates I know and if it doesn't: I read enough other webcomics that missing one will not hurt.

Muspar
Crazy Person

Post by Muspar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:34 pm

holy balls, I looked at my traffic counter today and my total views for the last 30 days was 3,113. Given that I've only been updating for the past 3 days I feel pretty good about that. Oh sure, 3,000 views in a month might be pretty crappy by good webcomic standards, but it makes me happy :)
Also, to clarify, that is just pageviews, not unique visitors. Still, happiness is mine!

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:52 am

I think I know the new market you seem to have attracted:

Am I the only one that's beginning to sense something of a homoerotic undercurrent between the artist and Chris?

I apologise if this has already been discussed in the comic. I have read them all, but obviously because of your 'sabbatical', it was eight years ago and I can't remember.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:36 am

It's amazing how much better the visual presentation of this comic has become. I never have to concentrate to figure out who's saying what in what order, it's fairly easy to read, etc. Granted, it's not going to be admitted to a high art museum any time soon, but hey :)
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

JermCool
Crazy Person

Post by JermCool » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:08 pm

I've always been of the opinion that the artwork isn't as important as the content, which is why I love XKCD, Cyanide and Happiness, and UserFriendly (yes, I am a UFie and not ashamed of that fact). It's also why I bookmarked BIC and was despondent when it looked like it was all over for that.

You heard me, Muspar. Despondent. Never disappoint me like that again, or I'll have to come to Canada and forcibly remove those tattoos.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

Muspar
Crazy Person

Post by Muspar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Rorschach wrote:Am I the only one that's beginning to sense something of a homoerotic undercurrent between the artist and Chris?
You should see the homoerotic undercurrent between the author and the real Chris, it's really more of an overcurrent.
Deacon wrote:It's amazing how much better the visual presentation of this comic has become. I never have to concentrate to figure out who's saying what in what order, it's fairly easy to read, etc. Granted, it's not going to be admitted to a high art museum any time soon, but hey :)
Yeah, looking back at my first comics I'm filled with shame at how horrible the layout of the dialogue and such was. But that appears to be a fairly common problem, I think about 26,000 out of the 27,000 comics currently hosted on smackjeeves are entirely incomprehensible. As for the artwork, I've realized something. If you try to draw good, it takes longer. It's been a while since I've taken any religious studies courses but I'm pretty sure "things that take longer are from the devil" is part of the Apostle's Creed.
JermCool wrote:I've always been of the opinion that the artwork isn't as important as the content...It's also why I bookmarked BIC and was despondent when it looked like it was all over for that. You heard me, Muspar. Despondent. Never disappoint me like that again, or I'll have to come to Canada and forcibly remove those tattoos.
:shock: I'll be good. I'll never cause despondency, ever again. and I'll update every day. and I swear on my own grave I'll never do a comic about not having an idea for a comic.

Muspar
Crazy Person

Post by Muspar » Thu May 06, 2010 4:34 pm

Fact: Drawing real, famous people in a way that actually kinda sorta looks like them in my coloured-blobs with faces style is exceedingly difficult.