Should Bill Cosby have his Medal of Freedom revoked?

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
Arres
Crazy Person

Should Bill Cosby have his Medal of Freedom revoked?

Post by Arres » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:57 pm

By an reasonable standard it has become fairly clear that Bill Cosby did "some shit". I'm not going to attempt to clarify that. However, in light of his being decalared "Guilty" in the court of Public Opinion it has been suggested that he lose his Presidential Medal of Freedom.
The fact that he testified to acquiring quaaludes to give to women he wanted to have sex with seems to have put the final nail in the coffin. I haven't read the testimony that was unsealed, so I'm not clear if he actually said that he "slipped" them to women or not. If he did, rape. Pretty simple. If he was sharing them with consenting adults, not rape. However, if he slipped one even once, he's a rapist.
If we assume that he IS indeed a rapist, SHOULD he have his Medal of Freedom revoked? I know that the President has stated that there is no mechanism for that, but processes can be invented. Whatever. His behavior has clearly ruined his career, destroyed his moral authority, and tainted his work. However, does it mean that he did NOT create "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors?" Or however you might like to bold that?

tl;dr: Does his bad behavior invalidate his cultural contribution sufficiently that we strip him of his Medal?
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Should Bill Cosby have his Medal of Freedom revoked?

Post by Deacon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:15 am

I don't think so. I mean, whatever else he did, he was certainly an accomplished comedian and entertainer, and The Cosby Show was a phenomenon, massively culturally influential in many ways--including introducing many white Americans to the idea of a "normal" family that happened to be black.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:30 pm

The alternative argument to make would be that this kind of behaviour has been surprisingly well tolerated until very recently (see also: Jimmy Saville & Rolf Harris) and work still needs to be done to make clear this is NOT OKAY.

Grand gestures like this could well help that goal. And while I'm wary of some crimes having zero room for forgiveness after time has been served this is not some future career toppled because of a terrible choice dug up and brought to light but rather series of crimes punctuating his entire time as an "accomplished comedian and entertainer".

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:37 pm

I don't think any work needs done to show these kinds of things are not okay. Anyone capable of understanding knows that already.

I'd rather more light was shone on the networks that allow this behaviour.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:08 pm

The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922