The near-term future of the Republican Party

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Re: The near-term future of the Republican Party

Post by NorthernComfort » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:44 pm

So, if was Hillary Clinton v. Donald Trump, you'd vote for Donald Trump? Clinton is still the likeliest nominee, so I'm curious. After all, this might be the real future of the Republican party.

Personally I think Trump is an opportunist clown who probably threw his hat in the ring out of pure ego. So... he's a lot like the other potential GOP contenders.

And I've already said what fire Trump is playing with- white nationalists.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:28 pm

Jesus that was long. And more than a little passive aggressive. But while I disagree with the author conflating the tea party movement for small government with white supremacists and the suggestion that Trump is the new standard bearer for that movement, like I said I wouldn't be surprised if racists like him more than others, others who are left trying to figure out whether the Democrat party strategy of courting illegals to get more votes might work for them, too. I don't think Donald Trump is a racist. I think he's an opportunist with a little bit of sincerity mixed into the foundation. Just like the rest of the presidential hopefuls on both sides.

That said, I'm not sure how that equates to playing with fire, unless you're really suggesting he's coyly making a concerted effort to go after the white supremacist vote?

To answer your question, I think if it really came down to Trump or Hillary, which I hope it doesn't, I would either vote for a third party or go ahead and toss it in for Trump. Of all the opportunist clowns, he's the most entertaining. And shockingly I think he's actually less crooked than Hillary. It would likely lead to a Democrat controlled congress 2 years later, and together what little they got done would probably piss off the Republicans more than the Democrats.

There are only two hopefuls right now that I think are more idealist than clown, Sanders and Paul. But both are still politicians, and neither would be the pick of their respective party leadership as the most tactically sound offerings for election. So to take your question in a different direction, I think if it came down to Trump and Sanders, there's a pretty good chance I'd toss my vote in for Sanders, even though I disagree with most of his politics.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:31 pm

PS I saw it elsewhere today, and thought it apropos: "The problem isn't so much that Hillary is a corrupt, lying criminal. Everyone already knows this. The problem is that her supporters don't care."
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:55 pm

Deacon wrote:To answer your question, I think if it really came down to Trump or Hillary, which I hope it doesn't, I would either vote for a third party or go ahead and toss it in for Trump.
Still feeling this way?

Personally, I'm still stunned you even suggested voting for Trump as a remote possibility. I'm also a bit uncertain if your saying it is a "dealbreaker" i.e. whether I can take you seriously on an intellectual level at this point. Voting for Trump, or even saying you might, is basically saying "I have zero cognitive capacity but I might vote anyways."
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:29 pm

NorthernComfort wrote:"I have zero cognitive capacity but I might vote anyways."
Sounds like most voters I know. Myself included.

How'd the nuptials go?
To Let

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:00 pm

Sounds like most voters I know. Myself included.
Not me, because I don't vote. Ha ha, I win! Right? Right?? Right??? Oh god please kill me.
How'd the nuptials go?
The wedding was great, did it at the most beautiful spot in Brooklyn.. One of the bridesmaids actually fainted after the kiss. What can I say, we do things properly.

Honeymoon in Hawaii, diving, hiking, bloody marys, all that good stuff. It was baller and awesome.

And then we went back to "real life" ... and man, what a reality shock. Work sucks, we lost some close family, lots of shit happening.

But we're happy, and we did the wedding damn proper, and that's what matters for 2015.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:58 am

Sorry for your loss, but congratulations on the rest.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:47 am

Married? Pics or it didn't happen ;)

You're using a hypothetical game of would-you-rather in August of 2015 about the eventual elections in November of 2016 as the standard on which you base whether you're capable of having an intelligent discussion? That's not a particularly great endorsement of itself. It's also not especially productive to suggest that anyone who would ever even consider voting for Trump if put up against Hillary nearly a year and a half before the elections is incapable of thought.

That said, it's turning out pretty much like I explained almost 4 months ago. Trump is an opportunist. Poll numbers sliding behind perpetual sad clown Ted Cruz? Say some more crazy shit and wrest the spotlight back. He's been dialing up the crazy to keep the registered wing nuts on board. This is why you allow more than two parties, you run all the primaries on the same date, and if you're smart you'll cull out the chaff early on.

I sincerely hope that when things actually start to get real, Trump will have fallen by the wayside. If the republicans have any clue, they'll see to it that neither he nor Ben Carson get the nomination. If they were really smart they'd try to set up Rand Paul for success. When he pisses people off, most of the time it's for a well considered reason. You can disagree with him, but it's harder to hate him than people like Cruz or Trump or laugh him off as a side show like Carson.

Unfortunately, reason doesn't really sell well or prevail in the minds of most voters. Democracy is a shitty system. Maybe one day we'll find one better :(

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:31 pm

I don't know how real this is, but it would be super reassuring.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/09/after ... epublican/

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:44 pm

Pics are on FB, look for friends of MB named Alex.... my pic is an optimistic cartoon.

And the only reason I judge taking Trump seriously is because it's Trump. TRUMP!!!

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:45 am

This is an interesting take on the Trump phenomenon in the primaries. The republican Obama, political demagogue?

http://rare.us/story/why-are-many-of-th ... ng-trumps/

PS I tried to watch tonight's debate. I really did. I couldn't stomach it.

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:17 pm

It's like people will be stripped of their conservative status if they dare to call President Obama President Obama. Even Mr. Obama would be horrible for them, as it shows the slightest acknowledgement of respect for a human being with whom they disagree. Nope. He's just Obama, as though he's a supervillain or a Brazilian striker.
Deacon wrote:The republican Obama
Funny, I've been calling Hillary Clinton the Democrat Richard Nixon for years.
Deacon wrote:PS I tried to watch tonight's debate. I really did. I couldn't stomach it.
The audience in these debates bothers me. It's sad, to me, that we're at a point where presidential debates have hecklers. It's also very alarming to hear the way the crowd goes into a booing frenzy at the mention of either Hillary Clinton or the current sitting president of the United States. Not just a murmur, if you say "Obama" (not President Obama, mind you, you'll be shown off stage for that) you might as well have just said "The Iron Shiek is going to try to take my hairpiece away this Sunday at the Centrum Center."

I don't see how we get past this. I don't see how we reconcile how much we seem to hate one another politically as a country. Short of one side somehow winning out and destroying the other, but that seems far-fetched.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:50 pm

I don't think we've reached critical mass yet, where change is demanded. The masterful thing about Obama's campaign managers the first time around were the leveraging of vague notions like "hope" and "change" that they left open to the individual's imagination to determine what they were hoping for, or what would be changed and to what exactly. I don't know how many more times that will work. It may never get better. It's not like the UK is so much better, for example, even with more parties, no presidential election, etc.

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:39 pm

Deacon wrote:To answer your question, I think if it really came down to Trump or Hillary, which I hope it doesn't, I would either vote for a third party or go ahead and toss it in for Trump. Of all the opportunist clowns, he's the most entertaining.
Just wondering if you've changed your mind on this, given the last few months of Trump making the GOP great again.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:30 am

Yes. Screw that clown.