Rachel Dolezal

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Rachel Dolezal

Post by NorthernComfort » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:42 pm

I have very important thoughts on this very important issue.

LOL!

That's all.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Re: Rachel Dolezal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:47 pm

SimpsonsAli G did it.

The problem with fluidity is, of course, some people are just going to kick the arse out of it.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:10 pm

I guarantee some psych majors are going to make hay with this one.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:08 pm

The whole thing is so utterly baffling on every level and from every angle.

She seems genuinely interested in working to ensure equality among races...

...but then went and found the worst possible way to go about it.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:00 pm

The pathology here is incredible. It's important to realize the lies and delusion are far more extensive than just her race, even including lying about media coverage. It's difficult to ascertain what's actually real, both factually and in her mind. Seriously, I'd like to see some psychological analysis. One of the best notes from the following article:
Dolezal cautions against white people thinking they’re not racist because they have black friends, a black partner, or black children—and getting a free pass as a result (it should be noted that Dolezal, who was once married to a black man, repeatedly talks about her black friends and black son in these videos). She also bemoans the fact that white people “are allowed to do everything,” citing Eminem as an appropriator or blackness...
http://www.colorlines.com/articles/seri ... baffle-you
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

JermCool
Crazy Person

Post by JermCool » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:35 pm

My brain simply cannot process the level of stupidity here.

But if transracial is a thing, I want to see a video of a black man pulled over by the cops, rolls down his window and immediately explains to the officer "Just so you know, I'm transracial and I identify as white."
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:16 am

I love how she trumpets a common sociology manta, which is that race is purely a social construct. But then she has to go the tanning salon and get a weave to feel "black" or whatever it is she feels. So is it a social construct, or how much tanning stuff you've got on your skin? Can't have it both ways!

But yeah, it's totally surreal and hopelessly stupid. She's a world-class moron.

Also, did you hear that orange is the new black? (I laughed at that one)

Charles Blow summed it up pretty well:
But this isn’t simply that. This is about privilege, deceitful performance and a tortured attempt to avoid truth and confession by co-opting the language of struggle, infusing labyrinthine logic with the authority of the academy, and coat-tailing very real struggles of transgender people and transracial adoptees to defend one’s deception.

This is a spectacular exercise in hubris, narcissism and deflection.

Dolezal’s performance of blackness may have been born of affinity, but it was based on a lie — one she has never sufficiently recanted — and her feeble attempts to use professorial language and faux-intellectual obfuscations only add insult to the cultural injury.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things
Omnicode: sxy cm163 kg76 eso.#_glasses sp= Ag1974.October anE hdd Zot RlM Kd1y PeC&C FHb IN14 PrPython(3)^(7)&C(2)^(5)&C++(2)^(7)&JavaScript(2)^(5)&Ruby(1)^(5)&PHP(2)^(5) GM-6DN LAEN(9)&ES(2)^(6)&EO(1)^(7) Crc(6).Security MvD BA! PlM

Post by Martin Blank » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:21 am

All she had to do was say, "I was born white, but I identify as black." That would have raised questions, but it would have defused most of the accusations of deception, aside from the question of the man whom she identified several times as her father. It would still have gone more smoothly for her.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:15 pm

Yeah? But what's sensible doesn't seem to be of any concern to her. That's why I think it's not so much cynical as pathological.

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:18 pm

Histrionic narcissism and some severe racial/family baggage fits her pretty well.