The FIFA Arrests and Investigation

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
The Cid
Crazy Person

The FIFA Arrests and Investigation

Post by The Cid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:37 pm

As both a sports fan and a fan of corruption being exposed, I am enjoying this FIFA story to no end. The highlights so far in links:

-ESPN's Timeline. Fourteen people have been indicted so far with more expected to come, allegations include bribery in the 2010 World Cup selection process, bribery involving major sponsors including Nike, and a level of pervasive corruption that fiction writers would find a bit much.
-The main whistleblower is a man named Chuck Blazer. There needs to be a Nobel Prize for corruption so we can give it to this guy. He took all manner of bribes, embezzled all sorts of money, and had an apartment for his cats. Oh, and he's the guy who turned on everybody, too.

My main thoughts are really that, from an outrage perspective I'm glad criminals of this nature are being brought to justice, at least hopefully. From a sports perspective though, I wonder a little bit about some of the companies involved here. Like Nike. If Nike's involved in this bribery, that's a company with its finger in a lot of corrupt pies. Especially being that it maintains such an uncomfortably close relationship to the sports programs at the University of Oregon. So I'm just wondering how deep this investigation ends up being.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: The FIFA Arrests and Investigation

Post by Deacon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:55 am

I'm glad Blatter finally announced he will one day step down. To preside over many years of such widespread corruption, claim that he somehow had no idea that any of it was going on, then have the hutzpah to say that he was the best choice to correct the massive issue he was allegedly ignorant of, was wild. Incredible smugness, surely enhanced by the entrenched belief of invincibility that must result from the feedback loop of sycophants that make up his little bubble of reality.

Now the question is what changed in 4 days that he went from "I'M THE KIND OF THE WORLD BITCHES" declared to the world in English to "I'm stepping down now" obscured in French. A deal with prosecutors who had him by the short and curlies? Pressure from sponsors? Blackmail? He didn't say.

It's true he had lots of support from African FIFA members, and he's done a lot to push football into otherwise desolate African countries, providing football camps and fields for poor populations, helping cultivate and bring in more talent from Africa, getting South Africa to spend incredible sums of money and human lives on new facilities left vacant afterward, and making billions for himself and his fellow FIFA executives. But maybe it's a little short-sighted for the Africans to stand by their man so blindly.

EDIT: South Africa says its bribe wasn't a bribe. It's not clear to me what they're trying to say it was instead. Can anyone briefly clarify?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:17 pm

Deacon wrote:Now the question is what changed in 4 days that he went from "I'M THE KIND OF THE WORLD BITCHES" declared to the world in English to "I'm stepping down now" obscured in French. A deal with prosecutors who had him by the short and curlies? Pressure from sponsors? Blackmail? He didn't say.
Perhaps this morning's story that Jack Warner, another impressively corrupt FIFA official, is planning to talk.

I think this is where the story is headed, a bunch of people getting caught and immediately cooperating to save their own skin, leading to bigger and bigger revelations until it all boils over. This might be a criminal organization, but it's not big on codes of honor among thieves or solidarity. For FIFA, Captain Murphy of Sealab 2021 said it best: "Snitchin' is bitchen!"
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:25 pm

I guess Blatter's extremely lame excuse of "I can't watch everyone all the time" may come back to bite him.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922