Streaming-only NFL game

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Streaming-only NFL game

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:43 pm

BBC says struggling former Internet giant Yahoo! has secured the rights to a streaming-only broadcast this year's upcoming NFL game played in London. It's bad enough that the game won't be on cable but has to be streamed through a browser or device. But the teams? Buffalo Bills vs Jacksonville Jaguars. So REALLY nobody will watch it.

STREAMING MORE LIKE STEAMING PILE AM I RITE
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

JermCool
Crazy Person

Re: Streaming-only NFL game

Post by JermCool » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:03 pm

In related news and in a fit of futility, the NFL is playing exhibition games in a country that lives and breathes RUGBY. Logic!
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:08 pm

I can explain that, but it doesn't make it any smarter. But I know stuff, so let's do it.

Back in the early 80s, basketball was not a really big sport on a world scale. When David Stern took over as NBA commissioner, he set out to change that. It helps that Nike and Michael Jordan, er, happened, but from the popularity of the sport's megastars Stern is often credited with helping accomplish things like the 1992 "Dream Team," which are in turn credited with turning hoops into one of the larger international sports.

Since that moment, every sport in America has had a commissioner who has tried to be as much like David Stern as humanly possible. Especially Roger Goodell, who seems to have no ability to create independent thoughts of his own and borrows every one of them from somebody else. Goodell insists on trying to grow Gridiron Football internationally. He's made a plea to the IOC to make his game an Olympic sport, but of course that would require "SEC Country" and Texas to split off into their own Olympic Coalitions in order to work. This is where the idea of putting an annual regular season game (now more than one per year) in London, and floating ideas to the press of possibly someday relocating a team there, comes from. And now exhibitions in New Zealand. Knowing the NFL, I wonder if Goodell actually thinks that it's Middle-Earth.

Important note: London will NEVER have a full-time NFL franchise. It is, in practical terms, impossible. The overarching bullet points there are that American sports leagues operate differently than every other sports league in the world (and the NCAA is usually the reason why), no player will ever want to sign with a London team if they have a choice, and London will never build a stadium for an NFL team with public money.

Now other sports can kind of pull this off. The NHL, since the fall of the Iron Curtain, has been an increasingly international league over the years. Baseball is trying to make a World Cup-style tournament work, but the World Baseball Classic is in its infancy and doesn't have much domestic support. Since Stern the NBA has had phenomena like Yao Ming and Jeremy Lin create interest in China and Taiwan, respectively, and both teams in the NBA Finals that begin this week have a player from Australia.
Deacon wrote:So REALLY nobody will watch it.
Aw, you don't want to watch superstars like, uh, Blake Bortles and LeSean McCoy battle it out?

Keep in mind it will be on at an hour where most of television is not particularly appealing. NFL fans who are awake will want to watch it, because there's nothing else on and it will be live football.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:16 pm

Marissa Mayer is throwing money at anything that might give Yahoo video views. Lord knows how much cash she had to pony up to get this deal. And it's for ONE game. And a really shitty game. What an unbelievable fail.

Add it to the very lengthy list of her bad investments. Yahoo should have sold itself years ago and returned the Alibaba payday to shareholders.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:19 pm

You say that, but in the days of fast-forwarding, on-demand, and DVR in all its glory, live programming is tremendously valuable. That's why already-ridiculous TV contracts for rights to sporting leagues and/or teams have skyrocketed in the last few years. Live programming means a semi-captive audience for advertisers, and that is worth its weight in gold right now.

Well, what's more constant live programming than sports?
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:46 am

Apparently sports you watch on your iPhone instead of the big screen home theater.

No thank you.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

JermCool
Crazy Person

Post by JermCool » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:37 pm

I got a big 4K TV with internet apps, so it might do alright. I could watch it, but...why? It's the Bills and the Jagoffs.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach