Children suspended for "infraction" while NOT AT SCHOOL

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
Arres
Redshirt

Children suspended for "infraction" while NOT AT SCHOOL

Post by Arres » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:29 pm

I use newser.com as my news aggregator and came across this gem:
Boys punished for airsoft guns in yard
Basically, the children were using airsoft guns IN THEIR OWN YARD while waiting for the school bus. Nosy neighbor calls 911 and acknowledges IN THE CALL that there is no danger, and everyone knows they're using fake guns but it "makes her uncomfortable as a mom". Then the school decides it's appropriate to suspend for the year the children. For activity that was neither at school, nor even at the bus stop.

I am floored. As far as I know, even the bus stop is not within the schools jurisdiction but they seem to be claiming not only the stop but anything within sight of it. Very few things pull me beyond vaguely annoyed but I'm actually considering writing a letter to the school board shaming them for this VAST over reach of their authority.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Children suspended for "infraction" while NOT AT SCHOOL

Post by Deacon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:01 pm

There are two problems, here:

1) everyone knows they're using fake guns but it "makes her uncomfortable as a mom".
2) VAST over reach of their authority.

These two problems are related. That mom needs to be told to mind her own business. This is what you get when you allow people to believe their own press that being a mom is the hardest job in the world and that if they're a mother their uneducated opinions are suddenly relevant and special. This is also what you get when you set up a government monopoly on molding minds and then populate that bureaucracy with people who believe that the rights of the individual are superseded by whether someone else feels comfortable. Especially when it comes to the evil that is an inanimate object--or even those that resemble them.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:30 am

Eric, don't be hatin on the moms even if that one was clearly a biznatch (a word that has evolved in my house to describe especially irritating females). Lumping moms into one group with "uneducated opinions" is not something I would expect from someone who espouses individual accountability.

My son often has friends over or goes to friends houses to have "airsoft wars". I can't imagine them being suspended because they were on their own property doing so. The school frankly shouldn't have been involved at all and the parent who called 911 should have had the backbone to talk to the neighbor directly. The family who owned the property they were on was clear that if she was aware of the guns being used it would have been stopped. Shame on the school for sure.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:28 am

I was not suggesting that all moms are ignorant//entitled/nosey/pushy. Rather, I was pointing out that when we've become so precious about inseminated females in society, we elevate their bullshit to a level where "uncomfortable as a mom" is a reason to call 911 and have some kids suspended. Thus we encourage them to become more entitled and nosey despite their ignorance.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Doc Giggles
Redshirt

Post by Doc Giggles » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:22 pm

I blame the whole Zero Tolerance BS that has taken over. A few busybodies are so afraid that kids will grow up thinking that guns are okay that they will do anything to punish anyone that doesn't think like they do. There was a time when you would call the parent of a kid that was misbehaving. Now people run to the police (and then school board when the police don't do anything about it.) That way they don't run the risk of the parent of the kid saying that they are fine with their child playing with airsoft guns. The same busybodies are shocked when parents sue schools over this kind of overreaching.
Disciple of Gnarr
“Let there be truth, happiness, and waffles”
-Nomad, Dark Lord & Avatar of Gnarr

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:26 am

Well said.