Why's the news full of Scottish people dancing in the street

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:49 pm

To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Why would Scotland be overjoyed at the death of the Iron Lady? I guess I don't know the history there.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: Why's the news full of Scottish people dancing in the st

Post by Rorschach » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:30 pm

It was all a wee bit before my time too, but my father despises her.

Thatcher is and was political Marmite. You either loved her or you hated her. She was despised by most working class people as they saw her as responsible for the gulf between rich and poor widening in the eighties. She destroyed the unions in the UK, something which, right or wrong, is not going to endear you to the working man. Not that would have bothered her as the uber-Conservative. She's widely accused of warmongering for political gain - it'll be a long time before right-minded people forgive The Sun for their triumphalist 'GOTCHA!' front page on the sinking of the Argentinean Belgrano - and she's generally considered to have been a horrible, right-wing bitch.

Her political ideologies never sat well with Scots - even today I believe there's only one Conservative MP in the country - but her foisting the massively unpopular Poll Tax on Scotland as a kind of test case before she rolled it out UK wide means that - as Frankie Boyle puts it - rather than spending three million on a state funeral, "“For 3 million you could give everyone in Scotland a shovel, and we could dig a hole so deep we could hand her over to Satan in person."
To Let