The Pope resigns

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

The Pope resigns

Post by Rorschach » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:45 pm

Something that will be of interest to our large and vocal Catholic contingent.

Anyway, the new candidate will have this to look forward to.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

The Pope resigns

Post by Deacon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Wait what? Was he just old? Or what?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: The Pope resigns

Post by Rorschach » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Yeah, I should have posted that link.

He's citing old age and health issues. It's so unusual for a Pope to quit - and they're all old - that I hope there's no more to it.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Maybe those dudes will bring in a guy who will clean up the Catholic church a little. Stop condemning condoms, stop facilitating child molesters, etc.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:41 pm

It'd be a start. I think they're still a ways away from that though.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:47 pm

Deacon wrote:Maybe (the Catholic church) will bring in a guy who will clean up the Catholic church a little.
Fixed. No comment given.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:21 am

Frankie Boyle wrote:The Pope must have done something even the Church finds unacceptable. I'm guessing he's shagged an adult woman.
To Let

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Deacon wrote:Maybe those dudes will bring in a guy who will clean up the Catholic church a little. Stop condemning condoms, stop facilitating child molesters, etc.
The latter is possible, the former unlikely, at least in the short term. Benedict did change slightly the views on condom use when it slows the spread of disease, but did not make any major changes to the Church's stance.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:56 pm

The Cid wrote:
Deacon wrote:Maybe (the Catholic church) will bring in a guy who will clean up the Catholic church a little.
Fixed. No comment given.
The problem with your fix is that it's not more accurate than "those dudes". The church as a whole has no input into the decision, and because the church has not turned the corner on sexual equality, it's up to some dudes in red.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

The Pope resigns

Post by Deacon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:22 pm

It's a big crazy business, and their customers run the gamut between devout and lip service. There are already schisms and they've been through a major Protestant revolution one, so to keep their halls of power gilded, they're going to have to tread lightly. They're dealing with a wide variety of cultures,any of which they've had a hand in forming, that are very much against any changes in policy on stuff like that. Both the New Testament and Old and probably their Catholicism specific texts are full of clear renunciations of various things that reflect the culture of the time of the men who wrote those scriptures, and changing that is both incredibly easy (pope just has to declare it changed) and very difficult, going against centuries of tradition of repression and irrational devotion to dogma.

It's mostly just wishing out loud on my part. I'm pretty cynical about organized religion in general but the catholic choice in particular.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:12 pm

Arres wrote:The church as a whole has no input into the decision
Noted, and I'll admit that I'm not all that well-versed in the specifics of the matter. However, I am certain that the people who select popes are part of the Catholic church. So it seems to me like the idea that they'll select a reformer is kind of hoping for the problem to fix itself.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:17 am

To Let

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 am

GAWD RORS! You're so penis-centric! Why can't the "Big Womyn" be not happy?! WHY?! PIG.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:56 am

I think if God were a woman, the place would be much better run.

There would be no war, famine, concept of ownership or - for that matter - men. All the women would do is sit around an idyllic global garden all day long, feeling each other's boobs and reproducing asexually.
Although in fairness, the planet would be utterly inhabitable once a month.
To Let