Neigh bother?/Horses for courses

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Neigh bother?/Horses for courses

Post by Deacon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:49 pm

I've had zebra, the horse's more flamboyant wild cousin (that seems to survive fine without human intervention). It was alright.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:14 am

I think I would be totally comfortable with vat grown meat. I have no particular desire to eat Human meat, but if it was grown in a vat it wouldn't REALLY still be "human".

I read a book, Tuf Voyaging*, in which the concept of a Meatbeast is presented. It's essentially a lump of muscle that grows in a protein solution. As it grows slices are trimmed off and served. I always thought that would be an excellent means of solving some of the issues that come with meat eating.

* I did not realize that book was by George R R Martin until I looked it up to link it. Apparently I've liked that writer far longer than I knew!
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:04 am

The Cid wrote:Well, that and the fact that the products were advertising beef when it turned out they were feeding their customers horse. That part would alarm me, even if the mislabeling doesn't impact my health.
This is the main problem I have with horse meat showing up in beef. Consumers rely on labels to be accurate to ensure that they're reasonably well-informed as to the ingredients. Failure to match up means a loss of trust in the market and regulators should be moving in to find out what happened.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:04 am

Tenuously on-topic, but I always really wanted to eat this guy.

[youtube]C1nxaQhsaaw[/youtube]
To Let

Vektor T. Gecko
Redshirt

Post by Vektor T. Gecko » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:56 am

Deacon wrote:I've had zebra, the horse's more flamboyant wild cousin (that seems to survive fine without human intervention). It was alright.
But Zebra is... nature's ultimate prey!

[youtube]AGl4VdHVG_8[/youtube]
(Warning: bad things happen to zebras!)

Essentially agree with MB, though. Eating horse isn't inherently off-putting, it's more the labelling issues. Being able to tell what I'm eating shouldn't be a guessing game.
If all else fails, use fire.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Neigh bother?/Horses for courses

Post by Deacon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:04 am

HA! That video was excellent. Love The Onion.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

FireAza
Redshirt

Post by FireAza » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:51 pm

Deacon wrote:I've asked people before if they wanted some cuts from a wild boar I shot. The answer was strongly in the negative, though they managed to stop short of expletives. I asked the same people if they'd like some free-range, organic, cruelty free, corn-fed, lean, hormone- and steroid-free pork, and they were not just interested but excited.
As Penn & Teller have shown, people are very open to foods that have been hussied up with trendy labels that lets them feel superior to others.

Also, wild boar looks pretty tasty to me, assuming Asterix comics are to be believed.
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:33 pm

FireAza wrote: Also, wild boar looks pretty tasty to me, assuming Asterix comics are to be believed.
God, yes! 'Scrunch scrunch scrunch'. Food has done nothing but disappoint me since I was a small child as nothing has been as good as that looked.
To Let