The Real Danger from Nuclear Meltdown

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
The Cid
Crazy Person

Re: The Real Danger from Nuclear Meltdown

Post by The Cid » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Sure, it's repeating myself, but I just don't understand the rush to form an opinion when the events at Fukushima have not finished unfolding. It seems asinine to argue about radiation and nuclear power when the smoke has not yet cleared. What's the need to play the "what if" game here? Whatever happens, shouldn't it happen before we assign meaning to it?
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Lucksi wrote: Does that sound eerily familiar to what is up with reactor 3 at Fukushima at the moment?
I don't know, and if you're being honest you don't know either aside from what inferences you make from reports in the instant news cycle. I'm not saying there's nothing to see. I'm saying that we're talking about an event that has not yet wrapped up.

I feel like more information is needed--the information that we will get as this continues to unfold. Everything else is just guesswork. People can't say this is "nothing" because we don't yet know what this is. Likewise, I think people should not rush to alarm because they hear the word "nuclear."

We all want to play the nuclear physicist, but maybe letting cooler heads prevail is the answer for now, so we can use the information--whatever information we get--in vital discussions that obviously need to be had across the world about the risks and rewards of nuclear plants.

collegestudent22
Crazy Person

Post by collegestudent22 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:57 am

Lucksi wrote: Do you think they evacuate the workers there -who have on protective clothing- for shit and giggles? That the firemen for example don´t even do their one hour shift of spraying water on it? That should tell you how high the danger is.
Yeah, it's dangerous right on top of the damn thing. Thanks, Major Lee Obvious.
You don´t think that in the last 40 years there have been some improvements or new insights/improvements on how those plants can be built?
Not really, because they have been effectively banned in the countries that actually care about things like "safety" and "public health". When you aren't building them, you can't really expect engineers to spend their time thinking about how they can be built safer. That, and the fact that these plants HAVE been improved over the years in terms of safety. It just isn't viable to tear the whole thing down and rebuild it for a minor improvement in safety. Most plants are built to withstand at least a 7.0 earthquake. That's something over 90% of all earthquakes each year.
And due to what natural desaster did Tschernobyl blow? Heck, even after the explosion, they still gave out the news that the broken reactor was still intact and just had to be cooled. Does that sound eerily familiar to what is up with reactor 3 at Fukushima at the moment?
No, mostly because the problem at Chernobyl wasn't even close to the same thing. Even the function of the reactor was different.
But if you look at the first chart from the comic, you see that there are chest x-rays at 20 μSv and chest CT scan at 5.8 mSv which is a hell of a difference.
The chest CT is a compilation of many x-rays taken to obtain a 3-D image, instead of a 2-D one. And the single x-ray value is meaningless, as the CT is deemed safe.
Why is a single CT scan over 5 times the maximum EPA limit thing anyway?
The EPA limit is for an entire year. Higher doses of radiation over a much shorter time isn't as dangerous as a lower level for a long time. But, even so, as the EPA has designated carbon dioxide as a "environmental hazard", I'll say they just make shit up.
We must have different limits as they also said that living in that town for 7 days exceeds the maximum yearly safety level on radiation.
And who the fuck sticks around an irradiated area for an entire week? My point is not that "radiation isn't dangerous derp". It is that the danger is overstated by the various media sources (even going so far as to claim that the radiation creates a danger across the Pacific fucking Ocean), mainly to give the impression that nuclear power isn't safe, despite the fact that these plants are super redundant and it requires a MAJOR natural disaster, like a 40 foot tsunami (the earthquake caused minimal damage to the plants itself), to cause such a problem.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:53 pm

The measured and appropriate response to the nuclear crisis in Japan continues. Guess they won't be showing Godzilla in Europe anytime soon.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Sigh. Good lord...
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

collegestudent22
Crazy Person

Post by collegestudent22 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:59 am

Nope. Can't even allude to the idea of such a thing existing if it happens in real life. :shifty:

And don't even think about making a joke about how Japan is getting irradiated by all kinds of science right now.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Lucksi wrote:They are not showing the reruns of the entire episodes where someone gets irradiated at the plant for example.
What I can't figure out is whether they believe that would actually be inappropriate, or if they're simply afraid of the litigious.

collegestudent22
Crazy Person

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Except those are isolated readings, and may just be aberrations. The response is just nonsensical, though. Seriously? Banning shipments of beef because it is "contaminated"? Someone should learn that irradiated food doesn't become radioactive.

collegestudent22
Crazy Person

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Ah, I see now. You are totally right, it is way dangerous to be directly on top of a destroyed nuclear plant. We should totally move really far away from them. I take it you are leaving Germany, then? France is awfully close, and uses a LOT of nuclear power plants..... :shifty: