Family claims there was no reason to shoot Grandma

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
Blaze
Crazy Person

Family claims there was no reason to shoot Grandma

Post by Blaze » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:31 am

Yeap, no reason at all...

Except for, you know, the fact that she SHOT THEM FIRST!

Honestly... I love the last quote there. Police officers arrive, knock and announce themselves, and serve a legal warrant to enter. They step inside, and Grandma puts a slug in each one of them.

"I'm sure she was scared when the police busted in there like that. There was no reason to shoot her down like a dog." Genius.

StruckingFuggle
Crazy Person

Post by StruckingFuggle » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:34 am

I'm a horrible, horrible man. My first thought? : I didn't know they let reindeer onto the SWAT.

Also, that guy needs to shut up. What were they supposed to do when she opened fire? What did she think would happen? Just ... gah.
"He who lives by the sword dies by my arrow."

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."

Calus
Crazy Person

Post by Calus » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:40 am

It could have been one of those, "I'm going down fighting."

Suicide by police?
Edward "Snugglepants" Van Helgen: What! You shot my banjo!

"Do I hear voices? I guess so. I don't worry though, because I have learned to ignore them. They keep telling me the Cubs will win the World Series." Calus

Terrene
Crazy Person

Post by Terrene » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:09 am

The old woman sounded mentally ill.

Wait, why did she even have a gun?

No wait, I take that back, even old people can have guns. But she certainly shouldn't have had one. But I guess that is kind of duh.

jimkatai
Crazy Person

Post by jimkatai » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:14 am

Her funeral will be awesome, though, you have to admit. "So, how did Grandma die? Old age?" "She was killed in a shoot-out with the police."
Stand in awe of my creativity

gravity
Crazy Person

Re: Family claims there was no reason to shoot Grandma

Post by gravity » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:12 am

Actually, according to this article, the police kicked down her door while serving a warrant to the wrong address.

I'm surprised that a 92 year old woman was able to shoot a shotgun at all, to be honest.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:42 am

[quote="gravity";p="694985"]while serving a warrant to the wrong address.[/quote]
Nope. Read it again.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

gravity
Crazy Person

Post by gravity » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:02 am

Sorry, Deac. When the article was originally posted they admitted it was the wrong house. :|

adciv
Crazy Person

Post by adciv » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:41 pm

Here they say that they had the right house.
Repensum Est Canicula
The most dangerous words from an Engineer: "I have an idea."
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:58 pm

Yeah, well, this is just one more instance of a black person being "shot down like a dog" by white cops due to racism. Terrible thing, that.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Binks
Crazy Person

Post by Binks » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:07 pm

"Of the police brutality cases we've had, this is the most egregious because of the woman's age," Hutchins said."

Police brutality? Are these people crazy? I mean, sure it's not good that she's dead, but she shot at them! My cynical side is defiantly saying that this is going to court, I'm hoping it's wrong but I wouldn't put it past our legal system.

And jimkatai, while it's not exactly a joking subject, that was funny. Very funny.

dmpotter
Crazy Person

Post by dmpotter » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:08 pm

None of the stories gives anywhere near enough information to know which side was "right."

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:57 pm

dmpotter, police executed a search warrant. The resident opened fire on the officers, wounding three of them before being taken down. It's not really all that vague.

dmpotter
Crazy Person

Post by dmpotter » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:58 pm

You're making assumptions on how they executed the search warrant. We don't know that.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:01 pm

What are you talking about? We know what kind of warrant it was (no-knock) and the timeline of events. What else do you want to know?

Also, keep in mind that you would never have heard of this story if the resident blasting away at police weren't of an extreme age. If it'd been some 23 year old dude, for instance, nobody would be talking about it.