What place on earth has it the hardest?

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
Luminance
Crazy Person

What place on earth has it the hardest?

Post by Luminance » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:51 pm

Seems like anywhere you look, people are having a really hard time. Seriously, until a few moments ago, I never gave it any thought. My life can be summed up into school and home. I can pretty much plan out my day even before it happens, but some people do not even have the liberty of knowing if they will have a home the next day. What makes it worse is that many people don't have the power to make things better for themselves or the people they care about.

Just something to think about...
"I wouldn't be alive if life was too easy."

AzraeL
Crazy Person
Location: Perth, Australia "World's most isolated capital city"

Post by AzraeL » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:53 pm

oh my god, I'm going to rethink my life! what have I been doing?
Sig Courtesy of Mista

Jamie Bond
Agent 0.07
Agent 0.07

Post by Jamie Bond » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:08 pm

It's SORT of a philosophical question... so im moving it here, then never looking at it again =p
"Go get the Happy!"

billf
Pantless power
Pantless power

Post by billf » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:17 pm

I had just moved it to R&R because I thought it wasn't that philisophical.
"We spend the first year of their lives teaching them (children) to walk and talk, and the rest of their lives telling them to shut up and sit down."

tankkisankari
Crazy Person

Re: What place on earth has it the hardest?

Post by tankkisankari » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:30 pm

Answering the title question, if we define hardest as where it's shittiest to live, the Human Development Index gives out Niger as the worst place. Which is a huge surprise since Sierra Leone has lately been the place to be if you want to live in mysery and die soon. But somehow the Sierra Leonians have risen from bottom, i bet they feel extra proud now.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:38 pm

What an odd first post. Really, I don't think there's any particular place on earth where you can give a generic "they have it the worst" type answer. Individuals can live in squalor in otherwise splendid places, and vice versa. And even when comparing one small group of people to another, your idea of "worse" and "better" will be different than someone else's. There may be some tribe living in the amazon basin that has no real contact with the outside world, and some people may consider that horrible while others may consider it pretty tempting, for instance.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

RubyJ
Crazy Person

Post by RubyJ » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:32 am

This is what I'm talking about! This person will probably never come back. Why did they feel the need to come here and post this? This question isn't even that good! Is this even a question? Do I have to choose a specific country like Spain or something or is this supposed to urge me to join like the Red Cross to help out those poor Spaindanavians?
All my love, sincerely,
RubyJ

Blaze
Crazy Person

Post by Blaze » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:46 am

It's not that BAD of a question either. Something I've considered from time to time.

The general answer I've come up with is, "I don't know. If I try to think about it, I'll drive myself crazy. I'm glad I don't live there. It's too bad for people who do. Oh well."

Bandersnatch
Crazy Person

Post by Bandersnatch » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:24 am

To LIVE in? For human beings, I'm going to have to go against the Disney classic and say the hardest place to live is under the sea and outside of anything manmade.

After that, I would say either of the poles, simply because we don't have people at either all year round, so it must be pretty hard in the winter.

As for the hardest place to live where people are around year-round, tankkisankari pretty much hit the mark.
"Or even worse are those times when I catch myself trying to twist his message to make it say what I want him to say, and then only hearing that. This can be a very subtle thing, and it is surprising how skillful I can be in doing it. Just by twisting his words a small amount, by distorting his meaning just a little, I can make it appear that he is not only saying the thing I want to hear, but that he is the person I want him to be." -Carl Rogers

Jamie Bond
Agent 0.07
Agent 0.07

Post by Jamie Bond » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:32 am

heh.. sorry Billf, you ninja moved just before I did. I was wondering how a shadow topic got into R&R, I could have sworn I moved it from General =)
"Go get the Happy!"

mikehendo
Karate Chop!

Re: What place on earth has it the hardest?

Post by mikehendo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:01 pm

[quote="Luminance";p="648084"]What makes it worse is that many people don't have the power to make things better for themselves or the people they care about.

Just something to think about...[/quote]
First off.. They only dont have the power if they arent creative..
and second..
I find it odd that someone would make one post like this and then not post again all week.
Help Fund Free Mammograms
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

document
Crazy Person

Post by document » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:47 pm

What place on Earth has it the hardest?

I would assume the small pack of hungry chinese children that Rosie O'Donnell keeps in her basement. At least the pains of life are taken away once she decides to eat one of them.

Seriously though...hmmm...I had a couple Nigerian friends and one from the Ivory Coast who were living under park benches in Madrid (the park just down the street from where I lived) and struggling to find food. They always talked about how blessed they were to be in Madrid and out of their home countries and how life is so easy up here and how there is so much food.

Really made me think.

Spongiform
Crazy Person

Post by Spongiform » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:58 pm

I had a friend from Nigeria too. He was really grateful when I said I would help him transfer his inheritance of $900,000,000 into American banks. He still hasn't given me the share he promised me, but he was a really nice guy so I'm pretty sure he will soon.

lifedeath
Crazy Person

Post by lifedeath » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:16 am

Antarctica!
Give Life a real.....

viva la photobucket

Dayan Rabalyn
Crazy Person

Post by Dayan Rabalyn » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:25 pm

*sniff sniff* I smell a bot...