Constitution Discussion, Part 38: Amendment XXVII

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
adciv
Redshirt

Re: Constitution Discussion, Part 38: Amendment XXVII

Post by adciv » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Side note, most congressmen are not rich. They have day jobs. For those who are, they usually decline their paycheck. Their paycheck is, as I understand it, paid by the state they represent and not the federal government.

Related: For some reason, the civil service always gets a larger pay increase than the military.
Repensum Est Canicula
The most dangerous words from an Engineer: "I have an idea."
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:06 pm

The civil service generally gets a larger increase in pay than the military because they do not have specialized benefits, such as the military's BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) and the services provided by a military base are not all available to them.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

adciv
Redshirt

Post by adciv » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:27 pm

That would merely explain being payed more than those in the military. Not why the increases, when compared percentage wise, are always larger.
Repensum Est Canicula
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:56 am

adciv wrote:Side note, most congressmen are not rich. They have day jobs. For those who are, they usually decline their paycheck. Their paycheck is, as I understand it, paid by the state they represent and not the federal government.
Members of Congress are paid by the federal government. They make the following salaries:
  • General members: $165,200
  • Majority and Minority Leaders: $183,500
  • Senate President Pro Tempore: $183,500
  • Speaker of the House: $212,100
They also are eligible to participate in health insurance run by the federal government (most do, though at least a couple purchase their own insurance to keep gauge of the costs to common people) as well as pensions. Pensions typically are fairly small in comparison to the salaries (a few tens of thousand per year), due in part to the short time tables most people spend in Congress.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:45 am

adciv wrote:That would merely explain being payed more than those in the military. Not why the increases, when compared percentage wise, are always larger.
However, the benefits typically increase much more than the basic pay. For instance, while basic military pay will only increase today about 3.5%, the BAH average increases by 7.3%.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

adciv
Redshirt

Post by adciv » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:22 pm

Which still doesn't make up for the difference in the increase and pay the civil service gets, and you only get the BAH if you live off base.
Repensum Est Canicula