Constitution Discussion, Part 37: Amendment XXVI

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
collegestudent22
Redshirt

Re: Constitution Discussion, Part 37: Amendment XXVI

Post by collegestudent22 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:53 am

Actually, the extremist is a bad person because he actively does something to bring his "vision" about that is illegal, namely murder/suicide. The president and his administration cannot be bad people because they do something to bring about their vision of this country (regardless of whether you agree with it).
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

ILurker
Redshirt

Post by ILurker » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:20 pm

What... the fuck.
buy me the blue sky
and wrap me in clouds of blasphemy
in the end i won't ask why
you can do what you want with me

Now only down 90% of the day!

Bigity
Redshirt

Post by Bigity » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:22 pm

That's helpful?
No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave. -- Calvin Coolidge

Today's liberals wish to disarm us so they can run their evil and oppressive agenda on us. The fight against crime is just a convenient excuse to further their agenda. I don't know about you, but if you hear that Williams' guns have been taken, you'll know Williams is dead. -- Walter Williams, Professor of Economics, George Mason University

ILurker
Redshirt

Post by ILurker » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:41 pm

The equation of legality with morality is rather confounding.
buy me the blue sky
and wrap me in clouds of blasphemy
in the end i won't ask why
you can do what you want with me

Now only down 90% of the day!

Bigity
Redshirt

Post by Bigity » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:15 pm

Ok now that I can understand :)
No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave. -- Calvin Coolidge

Today's liberals wish to disarm us so they can run their evil and oppressive agenda on us. The fight against crime is just a convenient excuse to further their agenda. I don't know about you, but if you hear that Williams' guns have been taken, you'll know Williams is dead. -- Walter Williams, Professor of Economics, George Mason University

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:31 pm

It wasn't an equation of legality with morality. The vision that either person has in this instance can be, by itself, perfectly moral. The problem comes about when one does something immoral (also illegal) to bring it about. Bush has done nothing immoral to bring about his vision for the US. However, the extremists have threatened and taken people's lives. Bush has therefore done what he feels is necessary to stop them from taking more lives. It may be the wrong way to achieve this end, but since when do "bad people" try to HELP others....

What is immoral is not necessarily illegal, but what is illegal is almost always immoral. The only exception to that would be anything that was obviously discrimination or oppression....
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

StruckingFuggle
Redshirt

Post by StruckingFuggle » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:00 pm

That's an ... interesting ... way to look at things, certainly...
"He who lives by the sword dies by my arrow."

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."