National Anthem Protests

Perspectives on our world and our universe, how it works, what is happening, and why it happens. Whether by a hidden hand or natural laws, we come together to hash it out, and perhaps provide a little bit of education and enlightenment for others. This is a place for civil discussion. Please keep it that way.
Forum rules
1) Remain civil. Respect others' rights to their viewpoints, even if you believe them to be completely wrong.
2) Sourcing your information is highly recommended. Plagiarism will get you banned.
3) Please create a new thread for a new topic, even if you think it might not get a lot of responses. Do not create mega-threads.
4) If you think the subject of a thread is not important enough to merit a post, simply avoid posting in it. If enough people agree, it will fall off the page soon enough.
The Cid
Crazy Person

National Anthem Protests

Post by The Cid » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:40 pm

I can't help it, I need to say this somewhere. I'm not sure there could possibly be anything new to contribute on the whole NFL national anthem protests, but here goes:

1: If you are overly offended that a protest that isn't at all about the flag or the anthem hurt either of them, consider listening to the actual words of the anthem for the first time in your life. It doesn't take an English teacher to realize that our national anthem is about how the ideals for which our flag supposedly stands can't be easily damaged. One little protest and we're wondering if the flag is still there? Really? If you believe the existence of Colin Kaepernick damages anything about America, your hypersensitivity offends me as an American.

2: It is oh so very telling that people who will wear Nazi gear and march on cities in the name of free speech are so eager to silence those who disagree with their worldviews. They want the freedom to call Kaepernick slurs without anyone ever calling them out on it, but they want to deprive NFL players the right to protest something that is very real and needs to be addressed at some point. Which, I don't care how uncomfortable it makes us, yes this does need to be addressed.

3: The way certain politicians are reacting to this is flat out dangerous. The administration is fanning some dangerous flames, and don't tell me they don't know what could happen. I'm increasingly convinced that this president could at some point call for his supporters to commit acts of violence on people who disagree. Certainly they're opening the door for someone to do it. People who make these protests are receiving death threats. The people sending those threats are only going to be emboldened by Mike Pence deliberately pulling a stunt to walk out of a game he never intended to watch. It's bully tactics, which should be no surprise given this administration's insistence that it will only serve those who agree with it. Given the way supporters of this administration show their support, I'm honestly terrified of what's going to happen next. I think our president is radicalizing people this way. And I think his VP just signed off on that behavior.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: National Anthem Protests

Post by Deacon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:49 am

Hear hear.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:35 am

18th Century Facebook:

"How dare those ruffians! That tea was private property of the East India Company! If those traitors were properly civilized they would've sent a strongly-worded letter to Parliament! The very act of throwing tea into the Boston Harbour is disrespectful to the sailors who risked their lives at sea to bring it here to the colonies!"

Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:13 pm

Of course at the time there wasn’t really the racist angle.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922