Hozier's cross-genre experimentation

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Hozier's cross-genre experimentation

Post by Martin Blank » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:45 am

I think many people are familiar with Hozier's Take Me to Church, a powerful bit of indie rock and blues. But in the last couple of months, I've been listening to some of his other songs, such as the "gospel" Angel of Small Death and the Codeine Scene and the folk ballad In a Week. I've come to appreciate his takes on these forms, turning the genres on their heads. I'm not really used to artists successfully crossing genres on a regular basis, so it's a really interesting exploration of one artist's capabilities (recognizing that he didn't write everything). The last time I saw this was Sting when he got experimental in the 1980s, putting out albums with The Police and also his "solo" album Dream of the Blue Turtles (which included a few other notable artists). I know I missed a bunch of others along the way, and I'm not claiming to be a musical expert. Hell, most of my knowledge of popular music comes from linking Weird Al parodies to their original sources.

For some reason, in all this, Arsonist's Lullaby is a recent favorite. I'm not sure if it's the obsession, the revelation, or the acceptance that rings true. I do like candles, though, and I love to watch foam-dropping DC-10s hit their target.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Hozier's cross-genre experimentation

Post by Deacon » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:19 am

He’s good, but I’m not sure about turning genres on their head. Seems like the production is all pretty similar, certainly very reverb heavy. Arsonist’s Lullaby struck me as a slowed-down take on the Arctic Monkeys’ Do I Wanna Know, dropped very slightly slightly from G minor to F# minor.

I can tell you this, his vocals can be pretty difficult to reproduce, and his tone and delivery are immediately recognizable and very enjoyable as far as I’m concerned.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922