Matt Bellamy terrifies me

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
τ > π
Crazy Person

Matt Bellamy terrifies me

Post by τ > π » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:26 am

Listening to Muse. Good music. Terrifying. The older stuff. Yet.
I love his falsetto.
I can't shake it: Is he trans? His lyrics. They describe it. Perfectly, I think―Stylized. Emphasized. Or I'm projecting.

Citizen Erased: [My transcript:]

Break me in;
Teach us to cheat,
and to lie, cover up,
what shouldn't be showed.
And the truce, unwinding, scraping away;
And my mind, please stop asking, me to describe you.

For one moment
―I wish you'd hide your stage
―with no feelings at all.
Open-minded,
―I'm sure I used to be, so free.

Self-explosed,
exhausting for all
to see, and to being
what you are and what you need.
And the truce, unwinding, scraping away.
And my mind, please stop asking, me to describe.

For one moment
–I wish you'd hide your stage
–with no feelings at all
Open-minded,
–I'm sure I used to be, so free

[Instrumental.]

For one moment
―I wish you'd hide your stage
―with no feelings at all.
Open-minded,
―I'm sure I used to be, so free.

Wash me away, clean your body of me,
Erase all the memories, they'll only bring us pain,
and I'll see, all I ever need.

And others. His songs. Like warring. Warring himself. Like he'll kill, part of him. Or he did.

BigDamnHero
Crazy Person

Re: Matt Bellamy terrifies me

Post by BigDamnHero » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:00 am

Oh wow, nostalgia bomb. I'm gonna have to dig out my Muse mp3s and give them a listen now.

His falsetto is powerful though, you are right.

Seannery
Crazy Person

Post by Seannery » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:46 am

τ > π wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:26 amI can't shake it: Is he trans? His lyrics. They describe it. Perfectly, I think―Stylized. Emphasized. Or I'm projecting.
That's an interesting interpretation, but I think their songs sufficiently abstract, yet suggestive of complex, intimate experiences, that many diverse listeners will have almost no doubt that it's about the exact experience they're having---don't think it's enough to his experience, that may have aided the creation of these songs, being same. This is not to say you shouldn't follow that train of thought---it's most interesting, and I'll be listening for it, too. A cursory search found the song after next, in that album had the following line redacted:
Matthew Bellamy (Muse, 2001, Origin Of Symmetry, 8, Screenager) wrote:And I thought underneath you'd be called other names
Even unredacted seems that song suggestive, again, of performance contrary to identity---whatever sort---conforming some trans* experiences.
Do tell me, always, in what way I'm not good.. I'm not used to silent tolerance.
liberté, égalité, muliebrité
τ > π wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:57 amOnward! To our selves. To the future.

Seannery
Crazy Person

Post by Seannery » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:12 am

Here's another one, that fits the mold, so to speak. Would it be the thoughts of a gender-questioning individual, who doesn't really understand the---or when there weren't as many---possibilities? Origin Of Symmetry (2001) is over-all about young-parenthood, but Megalomania:
Matthew Bellamy (Muse, 2001, Origin Of Symmetry, 12, Megalomania) wrote: And paradise [womanhood]
Comes at a price
[could be the literal money]
That I am not prepared to pay
[but more likely, the irreversibility, or the `unnecessary' medical meddling---whether by `crude' surgery, or `chemicals' i.e. hormones---condemnation of transmedicalism?]

What were we
[our bodies] built [this way] for [why not that way?]
Could someone tell me please

The good news is
[doesn't want 'em anyway]
She
[him, as a woman] can't have babies [insufficient equipment]
And won't accept gifts
[male parts] from me---

What are they for?
They
[offspring] 'll just grow up, and
Break the laws you've learned.

Take
Of your disguise
I know I underneath
It's memory

Useless device
[vagina---no womb, no eggs]
It won't suffice
[to make offspring]
I want a new game to play
[moving on to something else]
[Or the `useless device' is clothes, barely alleviating body dysphoria---a new game, something more is needed.]

When I
[she] am gone
It won't be long
Before I disturb you
[him] in the dark [not really moving on]

And paradise
Comes at a price
That I am not prepared to pay

Woman we built for
Will someone tell me please

Take
Of your disguise
I know I underneath
It's memory
Are Warner Music trying to copyright-law Muse fansites out of existence?
Do tell me, always, in what way I'm not good.. I'm not used to silent tolerance.

Seannery
Crazy Person

Post by Seannery » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:44 am

OK, so I've been listening through their music, and I really gotta say, it's a really compelling interpretation. For one, there's a lot of personal things at the beginning, that's really much like he's at war with himself, but not necessarily even aware of what, or why, but brought out in his music. Again, that could be anything, but there are things that point more towards trans* experiences than I might expect otherwise. But then his later work is still very good but somehow vapid, impersonal. I like his later work, too, despite that, or maybe because of that. That vapidity/impersonality, I mean. It's almost like he settled into his role as a man, and now he's, well, dead inside. In that interpretation, Citizen Erased is terrifying, especially the last stanza:
Wash me away
Clean your body of me
Erase all the memories
They'll only bring us pain
And I've seen
All I'll ever need
Ugh! Like he's telling his façade to kill who he really is. What do you think Hero? Or maybe it's unfair to ask your impressions, after already spilling my ideas.. or you could try dissuading me.

In case it turns out that he is trans, and this isn't just us projecting: helluva way to be clocked.