Chronicles of Darkness

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
BigDamnHero
Redshirt

Chronicles of Darkness

Post by BigDamnHero » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:07 pm

All right, time for me to talk about my favorite series of RPGs: the Chronicles of Darkness (formerly the New World of Darkness).

For those unaware, the Chronicles of Darkness refers to 11 gamelines:
  • Chronicles of Darkness
  • Vampire: The Requiem
  • Werewolf: The Forsaken
  • Mage: The Awakening
  • Promethean: The Created
  • Changeling: The Lost
  • Hunter: The Vigil
  • Geist: The Sin-Eaters
  • Mummy: The Curse
  • Beast: The Primordial
  • Deviant: The Renegades
The games aren't written to interact with each other, but because they share a system it's easy to "cross over". Usually when you play a game you pick one of the types (each has its own dedicated core book) and everybody plays the same type. The "default gametype" is usually that you're a new but established group of monsters as part of a hidden society in the modern era, and you play out the drama, intrigue, and violence that comes with it.

I'm currently running a Vampire: The Requiem game and a crossover game featuring a mage, two changelings, a beast, and a hunter. I'm also playing in a Mummy game.

I just like talking about them, to be honest. I'd love to hear if anybody here plays any of them or their sister games in the World of Darkness.

BigDamnHero
Redshirt

Re: Chronicles of Darkness

Post by BigDamnHero » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:37 pm

I'm also available to answer any questions anybody has. Maybe I could make a separate post for each gameline individually, briefly sum up their premises. See if anybody is interested in a deeper dive? I'll leave this "tour" of the Chronicles from the publishing company's official podcast:

http://theonyxpath.com/episode-132-tour ... -darkness/

BigDamnHero
Redshirt

Re: Chronicles of Darkness

Post by BigDamnHero » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:42 am

I want to leave this next post off with one of the things that I think is really cool about Werewolf: The Forsaken.

There is a power in the second edition of the book, it costs one experience point to learn, called Luna's Embrace. It permanently changes your gender. Note that I said changes and not switches. You can use it as often as you want for the price of one point of Mana (or Essence as it is called in the game).

This was a big deal for me, for obvious reasons, and I wanted to make sure to lead with that here.

So this game is about playing a werewolf. More specifically, it is about playing in a pack of werewolves, their wolf-blooded lieutenants, and the regular people who might not even know that they are working for a pack of werewolves.

What a werewolf is in the Chronicles of Darkness is a half Spirit half flesh orphan of reality. You straddle the boundaries between the worlds and hunt. You are an apex predator, animalistic and natural. But you are also human, and you need to find a harmonious balance. As with most urban fantasy involving werewolves your characters have a great degree of control over themselves. This is not a game about playing a regular person who every month turns into a slavering beast.

It is one of my favorite game lines. Not just of The Chronicles of Darkness, but of all tabletop role-playing games.