Audible*

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Audible*

Post by Rorschach » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:41 am

*other audiobook apps are available

So books are now being read out by actors for your listening pleasure. I don't know if you know. What a time to be alive.

I've just listened to Alan Partridge from The Oasthouse - which was pretty decent, and just started The Sandman.
I was pretty cynical about that one. Things that you've read aloud in your own head so often kind of become your property, and then listening or watching someone else do it differently feels weird and wrong. But it's surprisingly good.

Any other recommendations?
To Let

Seannery
Crazy Person

On being read to

Post by Seannery » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:25 pm

In the absence of exemplary speaking, one might prefer the incorrigible amateur. Listening at-speed is my preferred method to glean false denotations of lexemes whose spelling I'll never remember to learn. Eventually, I shall acquire the text of my fragments, hissy bootleggèd Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon, narrated by George Guidall. One might do well to beware: the narrator. A sensitive ear rends, by the subtlest prosodic falsh, as would be tacit printings' page-numbers referenced, it's otherwise well-tempered mind from the ideal stream, to the lingual granules composing.
Prose narration has many exemplars, some thereof purely amateur, but suffers, though ¡were it surprising! less than of poetry, from extraliterary pathos. The speaker---an altogether more appropriate title for the role---ought, having carefully considered every last semicolon, never insert e'en a whit his own dogsballocks---rest assured: of this fault, I claim no freedom---in it.
Though perhaps my ear was spoiled; my mother was an anchorman.
Often, reading text, one fails to appreciate pronunciative subtleties, a grave error precluded by good audiobook. Really, it ought be as simple as examining those those inscrutable I have it on good authority that, really, they are quite an elegant encoding---not that monolingual actualities reflect that squiglies between the slashes (International Phonetic Alphabet) or, in some computer-based dictionaries, listening to a ```native''' speaker (mis)pronounce it---close enough for those with access to good separate phonemes, and I hear: not too bad, yet.
Do tell me, always, in what way I'm not good.. I'm not used to silent tolerance.
liberté, égalité, muliebrité
τ > π wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:57 amOnward! To our selves. To the future.