50 Shades.

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Dreamer
Crazy Person

Re: 50 Shades.

Post by Dreamer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Sorry to necro.

I'm no tinto BSDM or any sort of DOM or SUB type cultures. Maybe a little DOM would intrigue me... but not even to the relatively tame level they portray it in the first movie.

That said? There is ZERO abuse in this story.

Can you say it's abuse when you ASK a person to whip you 6 times with a leather belt? Having a safe-word. a 100% guaranteed way to stop anything at any time, with no hesitation and no questions asked. Is that abuse?

The movie ends with something like that. She gives permission. She want's to know what could be the worst thing she would endure. He REMINDS her of the safeword. He hits her fairly hard with a leather belt on her backside. She never uses the safeword.

Then she re-robes and leaves. She get's on his elevator and is trying to leave. He is coming at her trying to explain and she simply says "No!"

And he stops. Right there where he stood. His role is just as submissive as hers. She can eaily have the same power.

And I think being a sub is a way of taking some power by giving up some things. I don't know. I'm not into the subculture. But I'm intrigued by it.
My sig would have contained the secret of life, but I'd already clicked submit.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:14 am

Ugh. Abuse. What an over- and mis-used word these days.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:52 am

I have not seen the movie so I can't comment to that. I have however read the books and abuse would be a good term. He plays a lot of mind games and DOESN'T always keep to his own rules such as safewords and limits. I still don't understand all the buzz about either the books or movie very mediocre.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:32 pm

Sounds like the movie maybe played it safer than the books. Though being manipulative, while detestable, I don't know if it qualifies as abuse. I guess it depends on the specifics.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:39 pm

There's a sequel coming now too. Huzzah.
To Let

Dreamer
Crazy Person

Post by Dreamer » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:04 pm

At the end of the first movie she tells him she wants to see how bad it can get. "Show me" she says.

She gets spanked with a belt 6 times.

And heck... I've done that to myself when I forget to take the recycling out on Monday morning.

So yeah, they tamed down the movies.

I have to go back, FireBirdNC... But I don't think he ignores safewords...

He may play around with lmits a bit. But... Okay, could be wrong... Does he ignore safewords in the books ever?

I felt like he was pretty anal (heh, anal) about that. It was important to him. the contract itself, even, was foreplay for him. IMO.

I mean, maybe he did. And I missed it. I have to ask Katie. She's familiar, too.

Because, let's be honest. (unless I'm wrong and he did ignore a safeword at least once) If the stuff that happened in Fifty was abuse? Then so was every thing that happened in Fight Club, right?
My sig would have contained the secret of life, but I'd already clicked submit.