Super Mario Maker

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
The Cid
Redshirt

Super Mario Maker

Post by The Cid » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:53 pm

Growing up, I mostly played video games on consoles. We had a computer in the house, but it was an old Mac Performa until the late 90s. The only games I remember having for it were SimCity 2000, Outpost, and an edition of Doom that taught me the joys of computers not always running games well. Everything else was NES, Genesis, and eventually N64. Even through college I had a PS2.

I was never big on the PC vs Console gaming thing, it wasn't out of that reason, I just never had a powerful computer that could run many up to date games. But there was always one aspect of PC gaming that made me jealous:

PC games could be edited, and even "modded." Playing online in a PC game often meant tons more maps, all of them user-created. If you wanted to see what the game was like if you change this or that, you could.

I've always thought, since my first encounter with that stuff, that every game needs a course editor if it can fit one in. So Super Mario Maker was right in my wheelhouse.

Really, it's everything Nintendo promised at E3. A level can have one of four unique aesthetics: Super Mario Bros, Mario 3, Super Mario World, and New SMB U. Then you choose the kind of level you want (outdoor, underground, ghost house, airship, et cetera) and, well, just go. For some strange reason, these features unlock as you build levels, which is the big complaint so far. (Originally these features were set to roll out over the course of about a week, but Nintendo quickly thought better of that. Why they felt the need to make users unlock anything is beyond me though.)

The creator works perfectly. One can make Rube Goldberg devices, or Mario levels of any difficulty they please. The interface for searching other people's levels and playing them is pretty straightforward as well (though I would like a more in-depth rating system than just a single star you can give courses you enjoy).

Overall I wholeheartedly recommend it.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Super Mario Maker

Post by Deacon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:38 pm

This is for the Wii or Wii U, I take it? There's a difference, right?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm

Wii U. And there is a difference, the Wii U is more powerful and has even fewer games.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:05 pm

Haha, well summarized.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:03 pm

It probably would have bothered me a while ago, but these days I only have so much gaming time anyway, and I've learned only to look to Nintendo for certain kinds of games, so it works out just fine for me. Plus I didn't have a Wii, so that fleshes out the game library a little bit.

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:13 pm

I keep thinking I should buy it — before remembering that I would get to the screen for making my first level and just be stuck thinking "now what" forever.