Latest movies mega-thread

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Latest movies mega-thread

Post by Deacon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:48 am

A++++ WOULD POST AGAIN
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:27 am

So...anyone seen The Force Awakens yet?
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:26 pm

I had tickets to see it in 3D on Friday but had to cancel due to timing. The nearest theater is an hour away so not sure yet when I will get to.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:09 am

I enjoyed it. It definitely was a modern movie influenced strongly by Disney and Pixar, starring what appears to be Hugo Weaving's daughter, wth plenty of character and plot points to pick apart. But it doesn't matter. It was fun, it reintroduced a lot of old characters, gave us the epilogue to the originals while transitioning to the next story. It was essentially a new coat of paint on A New Hope, but it was so cool that it didn't matter. It did detract from the experience that a fundamental couple of plot points were spoiled for me by Facebook cocksuckers, unfriended now though they may be.

Ill probably have to see it again to settle in and figure out if I love it or if it's just fine. At least it didn't suck.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:56 am

One of my friends said more-or-less the same thing on the way out: his biggest feeling was one of relief.

I think we had similar viewing experiences. I too had some utter douche-canoes post a massive spoiler in the comments of some totally unrelated facebook story which maybe took a little of the sheen off something that might have been more powerful, but I really wonder how many people in the audience had had it spoiled for them anyway. Is it possible nowadays to keep anything secret? Seems not.

I think it was probably as good as might have hoped for considering it was a toy commercial, a partial reboot and a reselling to a new generation. It was nothing new or particularly ground-breaking but it looked cool as hell and there were some genuinely goose-bumpy moments in it.

I'm going to go back to see it after Christmas to see, like you, if it stands up to repeated viewings.
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:28 am

*fingers crossed* so far I have encountered no spoilers and I hope to be able to see it this week. What asshats to put info out with not warning so you can't even choose not to read it.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:10 pm

It was a lesson in arseholery. Couldn't ever have been reasonably justified or argued a mistake. Just real trolling.
To Let

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Deacon wrote:It was essentially a new coat of paint on A New Hope, but it was so cool that it didn't matter.
Well of course it didn't matter, if this year has proven anything it's that the specific formula there works.

Reviving a beloved property? When in doubt pay loving homage to the films that made people love that property. Jurassic World followed the same beats as Jurassic Park. The Sam Mendes Bond movies have tapped into what made people love that character to begin with and they never stop going back to that well. I haven't seen Creed yet but everybody gushed about how similar it was to the original Rocky.

Even as someone who's not the biggest fan of Star Wars movies (I liked the original trilogy, but not the way that a lot of people here might have liked it) I really enjoyed this newest one. I'll just put it this way: When you go into a Star Wars movie, or a movie like that, you have certain expectations as to what you want to see. It delivered on pretty much all of those things.

So I'm with you, Deacon. If people want to nitpick that's their problem, I walked out of that theater smiling last night and I don't know what other standard I could possibly hold a movie like this to.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

gravity
Crazy Person

Post by gravity » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:11 am

The movie was fun, popcorn in Japan movie theaters sucks, and I'm probably going to go again next month during Ladies Day (once a month most movie theater chains in Japan let women in for half price if they book their ticket in advance). Oddly enough, Star Wars wasn't the top movie in Japan this weekend. Some kid's anime about spirit animals was (It's called Youkai Watch, I know nothing about it except the toys are on sale at McDonalds in the kids meals).

Also, no one cheers in movie theaters in Japan, even during the first showing of Star Wars on opening day. Watching that movie in a theater as silent as a tomb is bizarre.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:45 am

gravity wrote:
Also, no one cheers in movie theaters in Japan, even during the first showing of Star Wars on opening day. Watching that movie in a theater as silent as a tomb is bizarre.
Thank God. It's a ridiculous tradition. Noone does it here either but a few people tried. I'm pleased to say the lack of support shamed them into silence. I go to a movie to hear the movie, not the person sitting next to me.
To Let

gravity
Crazy Person

Post by gravity » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:44 pm

Normally I would agree, but the first showing of the movie like this is generally, well, at least gasp when Luke shows up or something. Nope. Dead silence. And then they won't raise the lights during the credits and there's no track lighting so you can't leave until all of the credits are done rolling. This include the extra credits that Japanese released movies get as they have credits for the sub/dub cast as well.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:59 pm

I made it to see Star Wars without anyone spoiling it for me. While not epic and life changing it was good and I had happy and sad emotions as expected. I certainly enjoyed it more than the prequels and that is all I asked for.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:43 am

Rorschach wrote:I'm pleased to say the lack of support shamed them into silence.
Tall poppies and all that.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:33 am

Deacon wrote:
Rorschach wrote:I'm pleased to say the lack of support shamed them into silence.
Tall poppies and all that.
I wouldn't have said so, unless you're talking about the premiere where the cast and crew are present.

It's probably more down to Scottish cynicism in general, and British discomfort with emoting in public in particular.

Neither of which make it wrong. Silencing these mooks is righter than Luke's robotic hand.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:21 pm

Yeah I see what you mean. But I disagree with it being right, ye cold-hearted scots.