Mad Max: Fury Road

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Mad Max: Fury Road

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:54 am

So I went to see this on Saturday.

I don't think my jaw was off the floor for pretty much the entirety of the movie. It looked glorious, the stunts in it were utterly insane. the plot was stream-lined as a bullet so as not to interfere with the action and Tom Hardy is a worthy successor to Mel Gibson: all starey eyes and monosyllabic grunts. You could actually believe this Mad Max was mad.

And then when the house lights came on, my two friends berated me for taking them to see it. One of whom had never seen a Mad Max movie before and wasn't in the least informed as to what he was going to see and the other a pretentious snob who couldn't get over the fact that he wasn't seeing the original.

So, once again. I am reminded that I like you guys way more than quite a lot of people in RL, and am wondering what y'all made of it?
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road

Post by FirebirdNC » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:24 am

I didn't really have it on my radar to see since so many remakes just make me sad. However now that you have suggested it might not suck I will have to see it. I am looking forward to the new Jurassic Park, but I am a Chris Pratt fan so that might factor in.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:32 am

It's a spectacle. If you go in bearing that in mind that you're not going to see anything particularly cerebral but your eyes will thank you later, then I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I'm not sure how I feel about Jurassic World, simply because I can't think what they're going to do that hasn't already been covered. I'll still go and see it though.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Oh I'm definitely going to see Jurassic World. And Mad Max. But the former isn't out yet, and I haven't seen the latter yet. Hell I just saw the new Avengers last night finally. I'm slow.

PS Latest movies mega thread? Jump in about stuff in theaters? I could contribute that I loved the hell out of "Spy" :)
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

CarlosSpicyWeiner
Redshirt

Post by CarlosSpicyWeiner » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:22 pm

Ironically my father walked right out of Mad Max: Fury Road. I honestly didn't know what to make of it. Hell, I don't even remember what the original premise of the plot is (nuclear armageddon I guess)?

As for Jurassic World, as soon as I saw a human animal tamer trying to "tame" the raptors I pretty much swore to god almighty I would NEVER see that movie as long as I lived on this Earth. The hole premise for "Jurassic Park" was that the park itself was never supposed to work and it revolved around the terrible dangers of reckless genetic engineering and human greed.

raptor9k
Redshirt

Post by raptor9k » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:47 pm

I think Jurassic World will be a decent action flick. It's not like Jurassic Park was a world class script. People loved it because DINOSAURS. Both books were far better than their corresponding movies, but the premise lends itself so well to the big screen it's just naturally entertaining. Honestly, I even mostly enjoyed JP3 because dinosaurs and guns.

I want to see Mad Max but I highly doubt I'll be able to make it to a theater. Most likely I'll rent or buy the blu-ray.

NorthernComfort
Redshirt

Post by NorthernComfort » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:54 pm

Mad Max looks very loud, fast-moving and in-your-face... I enjoy action flicks but I don't like sensory overload. I'll pass, even though most people are raving about it.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:18 am

Yeah, it is pretty relentless once it gets going although it's not all high-speed chase either. It's been a while since I saw Mad Max II but I guess it's a bigger version.
To Let

Sir Spankspeople
Redshirt

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:45 pm

The thing that Mad Max did well is that it's not really sensory overload at all despite being really fast and exciting. No shaky cam, no camera too close to see anything, the action is actually really easy/fun to watch because you can tell what's going on. It's not just explosions for the sake of explosions.

And some of the characters (Nux for example) had more character development than anyone I've seen in an action movie in decades. It's fast and exciting with enough time to properly develop characters.

I'm really hoping other filmmakers take this as an example.
In vino veritas
In aqua sanitas

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:21 am

My wife and I caught it last weekend, and we had a lot of fun. (Going to a higher-end theater helped.) Tom Hardy is a worthy successor, but I still miss Gibson's Max. I agree with Spanks about the character development, and Charlize Theron's portrayal of Furiosa was incredibly well-done, and the fact that the movie didn't devolve into a love story was a welcome change.

Refresher on the backstory: The original movie took place in a time before the war, but when roving gangs ruled the roads. In between the first and second movies came the "pox-eclipse." So far, I think it's unclear whether Fury Road is a reboot or a sequel; George Miller calls it a "revisiting" but that it would take place after Thunderdome. I think it's sort of like the James Bond movies, where the films reflect the age in which they're made, but feature the same central character in a loose storyline. That Max leaves each one behind helps this work. The flashbacks about Max's family also differ somewhat from the portrayal in the first movie.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

Sir Spankspeople
Redshirt

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:16 pm

I think the flashbacks were of random people rather than his family. They're making prequel comics for them.
In vino veritas
In aqua sanitas

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:11 am

That seems to be the rumour. The little girl crying 'Max' instead of 'Daddy' being one of the reasons behind it.Regardless, I thought it was pretty well done.
To Let