Silicon Valley

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Silicon Valley

Post by Deacon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:33 am

I can be the only one here watching this, right? I haven't heard much about it, but I wonder if any other computer pros and savvy tech heads who watch the otherwise excellent "Silicon Valley" were disappointed in the mechanisms and premise of the climax of this week's show.

No spoilers, but everything was wrong from the manner in which it supposedly went down to the bragging about the speed with which it was executed to the premise that a data-driven company has not even the most rudimentary of protections against basic incidents like they experienced.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

NorthernComfort
Redshirt

Re: Silicon Valley

Post by NorthernComfort » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:34 pm

I've been watching and enjoying. I spent a few years in the belly of the beast (SF) working at a few startups and larger tech corps, and Mike Judge is skewering the absurdities with ruthless brilliance.
Spoiler: (click to reveal/hide)
I don't mind the technical sloppiness in the writing- I think they were FTP-ing terabytes and somehow froze everything with an errant tequila bottle? Sure, it's inaccurate and silly, but I didn't mind much. I laughed at the end, with him being like "Well, we destroyed your data twice as fast as anybody else could!"

And the smoking bit? I nearly died. It was so spot-on. Smoking is basically pariah status. You can drink yourself to death and do all sorts of crazy shit at Burning Man, but cigarettes?! What are you, retarded!?
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:16 am

Yeah, but their compression wouldn't impact the speed of commands, and they wouldn't have zero redundancy. An AMC show whose second season start in July was recommended kinda sorta along those lines. I'll look it up and get back to you.

EDIT: Here it is. "Halt and Carch Fire" on AMC. Never heard of it before. http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2543312/
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:40 pm

Halt and Catch Fire is getting great reviews. Almost makes me disappointed I missed the first season, but honestly I think with The Americans being one of the finest shows on television I'm early 80s'd out.

I started watching Silicon Valley last year and enjoyed it tremendously, but for some reason I stopped watching really early on. I might just keep saving it up, it could be a good marathon show.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:00 pm

First season of Halt is on Netflix I believe.

NorthernComfort
Redshirt

Post by NorthernComfort » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:32 pm

Yeah, but their compression wouldn't impact the speed of commands, and they wouldn't have zero redundancy.
Well, yeah... it's TV.

Some day we'll have a technically accurate show about programmers and it will be the most boring thing ever. Pilot episode: "Logging some data to find a bug, and then re-compiling..."
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:20 pm

Hahaha, yeah, granted, but still :)

PS Fellow animation enthusiast Chris Hardwick sat down with Mike Judge recently on his Nerdist podcast. Silicon Valley was discussed, including accuracy vs story. http://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-mike-judge/

NorthernComfort
Redshirt

Post by NorthernComfort » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:21 pm

TV sets the technical accuracy bar pretty low... this never fails to amuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:48 pm

I knew what was coming.

I still watched.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:10 pm

Oh. Oh no. Oh that was terrible. That was REALLY BAD. Start to finish.

raptor9k
Redshirt

Post by raptor9k » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:21 pm

Hate it when I get attacked like that and I have to get the guys out of the other cubes to help me type.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:43 pm

If they wanted to really go for retardation gold, they could've had him hold up the plug he pulled from the wall...that was the power to the UPS. Accomplishing nothing. They either didn't have one or he was smart enough to distinguish the computer's power cord from the rest and pull it only. I'm guessing it was the former.

raptor9k
Redshirt

Post by raptor9k » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:56 pm

Maybe he just unplugged the monitor. Either way the resource that was being 'hacked' wouldn't have been her personal workstation. Unless the hacker was just using VNC to remote into her workstation and access the mainframe or central server it wouldn't have done any good to unplug it. If that were the case they could've foiled the entire thing by holding Alt + F4 or heck even the spacebar.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:52 pm

Yeah, no, ALL OF IT was so far beyond laughable as to cause pain due to a dropped jaw conflicting with a distinct grimace. I guess they figure the old people who watch the show wouldn't know the difference? Like maybe they've never typed on a keyboard before?

JermCool
Redshirt

Post by JermCool » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:40 pm

Bearing in mind, this is the same show that has Mark Harmon disabling a computer by SHOOTING THE MONITOR. I will stop your doomsday virus by shooting the only method I have of knowing it's being deployed!

I love NCIS so much!
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach