Letterman's Fantastic Sendoff

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
The Cid
Redshirt

Letterman's Fantastic Sendoff

Post by The Cid » Sat May 23, 2015 1:50 pm

It's a few days late, but I was curious if anyone here had any thoughts on David Letterman's final three shows earlier this week.

Personally I think they're as good as Dave's been in years. Monday and Tuesday were especially great, with his guests not there to promote anything at all (Tom Hanks and then Bill Murray), and Eddie Vedder playing with the house band instead of bringing his own. It felt like the last couple days of school from back when we were all kids, when everyone's more or less checked out. Which, for Letterman, was perfect. He was best when he didn't care, be it about his status at his network or whether his guests like him. That always gave him that detached sarcasm that was a perfect counterpoint to the bubbly and often borderline insane celebrities he'd be talking to.

I thought it was an excellent way for Letterman to walk away. After years of watching TV pass him by, for one week he found that sweet spot again.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Letterman's Fantastic Sendoff

Post by Deacon » Sat May 23, 2015 6:33 pm

I only caught the actual last show, which was mostly a highlight reel. I was too young to experience the late night wars first hand, but I always liked Letterman. It didn't shock me when he had people like Conan O'Brien and Craig Ferguson working for him in the late late spot. Gap-toothed bespectacled oddball with a double-eraser-ended pencil will give way to whatever Colbert does, which will be interesting in its own right I'm sure.

I do think late night has gotten better (more interesting) lately, and it turns out Jimmy Fallon was a great choice to replace Leno, though I would never have really guessed. I love that it's somewhat back to the earlier Letterman days when it was largely about just having fun and having guests do goofy stuff. Though I don't know if Letterman ever got Anna Kendrick to crack an egg over her head.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

CarlosSpicyWeiner
Redshirt

Re: Letterman's Fantastic Sendoff

Post by CarlosSpicyWeiner » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:54 pm

Honestly? Letterman's final goodbye was somewhat lackluster. All he basically said and did was, "so long and thanks for all the fish" and then the show ended. I was expecting Steve Colbert-style epicness (aka going out in a blaze of glory and good times). Of course, I only caught the final episode (maybe I missed something in the previous final two episodes)?