Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:12 pm

Anyone been playing this?
It's fucking great. I couldn't finish the last two AC games but this is both a real return to form and something of a break with tradition.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Post by Deacon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:39 pm

Hmm... I've been thinking about getting on my PS3. I don't really play many games these days, but when I do, they're awesome. Like Batman: Arkham City.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:55 am

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I never have more than one or two games at one time and I tend to pick them carefully.

If you are - or even were - a fan of the AC games, I really do recommend this new one. It's all the fun of being both a pirate and an assassin combined.

The Arkham games have been awesome. I do think there were more little niggles with Arkham Origins than its predecessors and I don't know where, if anywhere, they can go from here but as they changed studio for the latest game, I'd hope they might come across a fresh angle.

Also, we need a new Red Dead Redemption. Their zombie idea was pure and random genius.
To Let

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:34 pm

I've been stuck in Skyrim for some time. Not since it came out mind you, I picked it up the digital download when Xbox wanted to sell it to me $15. When I finish that, I think I'm actually going to go back and close out FFXIII...
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:07 pm

I couldn't finish Skyrim. I think because I'd recently played Bethesda''s Fallout 3 and to me Skyrim seemed like more-or-less the same game only in a different world.

I think both of them are probably fine games, just not played one after the other in quick succession. Dishonoured was just about different enough to be playable, but it was a close thing.
To Let

Sophira
Jezzy's Belle

Post by Sophira » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:29 pm

Semi-necro:

Skyrim is totally Fallout: Dragon Gods

That said, I have never played the story very far in and mostly just take up Thieves Guild and radiant AI quests. Recently I made a new character (inspired by the Rags To Riches series: https://www.youtube.com/show/skyrimragstoriches) who picks flowers and makes potions. She's rich as hell, and hired mercenaries to do the town quests to get her two houses. Her first was Lakeview Manor, but the game bugged a bit and didn't recognize it as an owned house, so I had her buy the Solitude one as well so she could adopt children. She's bleeding septims out her ears. (She can make a potion for that, but the problem serves her well.) I have about 400 hours in that game and I'm still enjoying it.

Someday I should probably finish the story and play through the DLC I bought.

So, AC4 is pretty good, eh? I bought it for my guy, but haven't paid much attention. I'll give it a shot.
<Arc_Orion> And I give rides to dudes!
<kaiju01> Yeah, I'm kind of a dick.
<Hirschof>Long from now, when the Earth is charred and barren, the only things left on the surface will be cockroaches and the continuous bickering between Fuggle and Deacon. :)
<Deacon> I'm not, however, played by a homosexual child star.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:37 am

Any suggestions for someone looking for a game that doesn't require the reflexes of a teenager lol. I have kind of fallen out of playing Warcraft because I mostly enjoyed the questing aspect of it and at my level its all just daily grind stuff which is boring and no fun. However most games of the RPG type if you aren't especially quick you are dead, which is usually me. My stepson despairs of me ever getting as much DPS when I play WoW as I should because I'm just not a fast enough button pusher.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:01 pm

How about The Walking Dead?

It has a lot of decision-based bits of gameplay (although to be honest, the decisions you make have little bearing on the story) and a lot of it is more like watching an animated TV show than playing a game. Quite a bit of puzzling too. It is pretty good.

Soaps, yeah. It's great. It's two great games combined. I'm pretty sure Nicola regrets getting me it. Another one for the pile.
To Let

Cyberliger777
Redshirt

Post by Cyberliger777 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:16 am

OMG, I just finished play Black Flag and it was amazing!!! The open sea, tighter controls of the character, and a very interesting story. I just wish my computer wasn't so far behind the times and I could get it up to 60fps when I was playing.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue May 05, 2015 9:06 am

It made Assassin's Creed: Unity on the PS4 all the more disappointing. :(
To Let

JermCool
Redshirt

Post by JermCool » Tue May 05, 2015 5:28 pm

I've got the AC Unity and Black Flag games on XBONE, but I haven't had a chance to even open them. I was too busy playing the Tomb Raider reboot and going "HOLY CRAP THIS IS NIGHTMARE FUEL".
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

Cyberliger777
Redshirt

Post by Cyberliger777 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:11 pm

JermCool wrote: I was too busy playing the Tomb Raider reboot and going "HOLY CRAP THIS IS NIGHTMARE FUEL".
I know, right. I booted up Tomb Raider on my day off and played it straight through. It took 10 hours or so on normal and I loved every minute. It is surprising how none of the mechanics felt old or repetitive by the end.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue May 05, 2015 6:42 pm

Needed more bewbs, though.

And not one for the vertiginous.
To Let

JermCool
Redshirt

Post by JermCool » Tue May 05, 2015 8:04 pm

It needed shorter shorts. Lara is supposed to wear micro-shorts. It just ain't right.

That game knew how to punish you for mistakes (falling to your death when failing the parachute sequence isn't good enough - be impaled by a tree instead). It also knew how to punish you for success. That fight for the pistol still haunts me. The guy doesn't just insta-die like any normal game. No, we have to watch him squirm and struggle for breath while in his death throes. WHAT THE HECK?!!
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

Cyberliger777
Redshirt

Post by Cyberliger777 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:48 am

That is one of the best parts. They made a game with a true heart wrenching story. Laura was just a normal girl that had to fight tooth and nail to survive. At times she was overpowered like she should have been with the power and numbers she was fighting against. Even the back-story of the island was crafted beautifully to show the break down of the main villain along with the courage of the last princess. One could only hope the next game is as good