Godzilla

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: Godzilla

Post by Rorschach » Thu May 29, 2014 8:16 pm

I saw it.

I thought it was quite good.

Discuss.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu May 29, 2014 8:21 pm

I thought Matthew Broderick's performance was so-so.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu May 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Ironically was better than everyone in the remake bar Bryan Cranston.
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Thu May 29, 2014 10:32 pm

I couldn't even finish watching it I thought it was that bad. Bryan Cranston was the only thing keeping me watching it. When he croaked I was done.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Thu May 29, 2014 11:29 pm

You should have stuck with it. Godzilla does turn up at the end.

For a few minutes.
To Let

NorthernComfort
Redshirt

Post by NorthernComfort » Fri May 30, 2014 2:39 am

I am tempted to watch it because after living in SF for 2 years this place could really use a visit from Godzilla.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri May 30, 2014 1:24 pm

FirebirdNC wrote:I couldn't even finish watching it I thought it was that bad. Bryan Cranston was the only thing keeping me watching it. When he croaked I was done.
Question: Is it bad enough for people who enjoy bad movies to enjoy, or is it just that annoying level of "this should be better but it isn't" bad? This is a very important distinction for me. If it's bad enough I will spend my money. If it's only a little crappy, that to me would be the disappointment.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat May 31, 2014 12:48 am

The Cid wrote:
FirebirdNC wrote:I couldn't even finish watching it I thought it was that bad. Bryan Cranston was the only thing keeping me watching it. When he croaked I was done.
Question: Is it bad enough for people who enjoy bad movies to enjoy, or is it just that annoying level of "this should be better but it isn't" bad? This is a very important distinction for me. If it's bad enough I will spend my money. If it's only a little crappy, that to me would be the disappointment.
I love the occasional so bad its good/funny movie, Commander USA and Mystery Science 3K were some of my favorite things to watch. This movie how ever was none of these, It was slow, with a plot that made no sense terrible "monster" moments and an overall lackluster performance.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:11 am

I honestly didn't think it was that bad, although I am willing to admit this completely flies in the face of my previous complaints about Pacific Rim having no human protagonists I remotely gave a shit about. It was overly long and really needed more explicit
Spoiler: (click to reveal/hide)
hot Godzilla on MUTO action
but I was generally satisifed. I'm hoping the sequel addresses the fairly common grumbles.

However, like Pacific Rim, maybe this merits a second or third viewing before I completely make up my mind.
To Let

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Rorschach wrote:I honestly didn't think it was that bad, although I am willing to admit this completely flies in the face of my previous complaints about Pacific Rim having no human protagonists I remotely gave a shit about. It was overly long and really needed more explicit
Yeah but with Godzilla, giving a shit about human protagonists takes away from the one and only reason you go to a movie about Godzilla. That's the point. The protagonist isn't human. With Pacific Rim there were supposed to be human protagonists, though I never cared to think of them as anything other than Human Beings 1 and 2. You could say the movie's complete and utter failure to make their human protagonists at all interesting hurt it. (Though to me it enhanced the experience. The more I think about it the more I realize I enjoyed Pacific Rim because it was basically a Mystery Science Theater 3000 movie with production values and cool effects.)

With Godzilla however, the protagonist is right there in the title. Cranston's a good actor, but the movie isn't about his character or his wife or anything else they show in the previews. Everyone's just Big G's supporting cast in movies with the Godzilla label. To be honest, this all makes me want to see the movie much more. I was kind of worried about them casting Cranston, that they'd try and make a movie about a giant death lizard serious and play it close to the vest. I want my ridiculous movies to be ridiculous. Intelligence has no real place in a movie like this.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:26 pm

The Cid wrote: Yeah but with Godzilla, giving a shit about human protagonists takes away from the one and only reason you go to a movie about Godzilla. That's the point. The protagonist isn't human.
I respectfully disagree. Unless you want two hours of Godzilla fighting monsters on an empty plain somewhere, which is going to get boring pretty quickly, then you're going to need more. People need to relate to care. Although I do take your point that the humans should be supporting characters, I wouldn't much have blinked had Godzilla squished them all during the final fight.

People keep relating this movie to Jaws in its teasing and slow reveal but the difference for me was that Quint getting eaten was much more shocking given I liked him as a character. Hell, remember how nervous you were for Brody as the shark swam towards him perched on the sinking boat's mast? You could almost have been in the water yourself. That's movie-making. And while I liked Godzilla and look forward to a sequel, I think omitting this peril missed a trick.

Anyway. Go see it. See what you think.
To Let

FireAza
Redshirt

Post by FireAza » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:29 pm

ゴジラ!!

I have heard mixed things about the new Godzilla, but it can't be much worse than the "that's a lot of fish" 90s American version.
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:16 pm

FireAza wrote:ゴジラ!!
How dare you, My mother was a saint.
To Let

FireAza
Redshirt

Post by FireAza » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:08 am

Considering how you turned out, I find that rather surprising.
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

CarlosSpicyWeiner
Redshirt

Post by CarlosSpicyWeiner » Fri May 15, 2015 8:03 pm

Saw it. Thought it was terrible. Too much emphasis on the humans and not nearly enough Godzilla. Throughout the entire movie I was wondering why the movie was showing us these people and telling us all about their lives when I couldn't care less about any of them. I came to the movie to see Godzilla wreck some shitz! Instead I got 2 minutes of the big G. A waste of my money.