Godzilla

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Godzilla

Post by Rorschach » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:31 pm

[youtube]QjKO10hKtYw[/youtube]

This could go either way really, couldn't it?

I'm harbouring cautious hope after Pacific Rim broke my heart so badly. Although I've asked Santa for that DVD to give it another chance.
To Let

The Cid
Redshirt

Re: Godzilla

Post by The Cid » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:49 pm

You didn't like Pacific Rim? What was wrong with it? I thought it did everything I wanted it to do. It promised giant monsters fighting giant robots, and never once strayed from the laser-like focus on providing us with giant monsters and giant robots who had beefs with one another.

Bryan Cranston's going to be in Godzilla, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:04 pm

I couldn't find a shit to give about any of the characters and the fights became boring. Although both might have been down to the large meal and drinks we went out for beforehand.

Like I said, I'm willing to give it another chance.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:06 pm

Like I said previously about Pacific Rim, I hated it the first time I saw it. It wasn't till the second time through that I realized toward the beginning that what I was actually watching was a live-action version of what otherwise would be a proper Japanese anime. In the anime context, suddenly all the stuff I hated about it actually clicked and made perfect sense, and I loved it.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:11 pm

I had and still have no desire to watch Pacific Rim, Godzilla on the other hand I am all over that.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Rorschach wrote:I couldn't find a shit to give about any of the characters
Yeah. Exactly. Because that movie isn't about characters. It's about giant robots with people inside of them fighting giant monsters from out of the writers' asses. I don't want an in-depth exploration of characters in my robot vs monster movie. That movie awakens the five year old kid in all of us. I just want "NYEEEEEEEHHHHH KERBLOW!!" for a good 90-120 minutes, and every second I'm trying to identify with the supposedly main characters (Human Beings #1 and #2 for all I cared) is a second in which I am not getting what I came for.

You ordered a cheeseburger. You're not going to get a properly-cooked filet under those circumstances.

Likewise, I would like to see this new Godzilla movie be what it should be: Cheese On Film. This is not the backdrop for a serious movie, or social commentary, or acting that doesn't involve the phrase "chewing scenery." If the original were serious we'd be like "godwhat?"

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:53 pm

No, I don't accept the popular defence that the movie's silly premise somehow exempts it from well-established conventions of good movie-making. It's a lazy get-out that any genre of movie could make. Unless the movie is just a ninety minute fight scene, which it isn't - and which would become incredibly tedious very quickly anyway - then I want my characters to have some character.

Why else are they there but to add human interest?
To Let

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Oh hey. Check the birthdays. :)
To Let

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Rorschach wrote:It's a lazy get-out that any genre of movie could make.
I was kind of exaggerating there, but my point is that some movies get bogged down when they can't figure out whether they want to be serious or if they want to be the movie equivalent of empty calories. (For example: To this day I can't figure out if Drag Me to Hell was supposed to be more like a Bruce Campbell Evil Dead movie or if it was supposed to be a semi-serious horror film. I would have enjoyed it more had it picked either of those paths and stuck with it.) I appreciated Pacific Rim never once having such a dilemma. But you're right, it was short on some elements typically associated with good movies.

I have a very basic rule with my entertainment: I want what is promised. If you give me tremendous actors and a well-known director, I'm going to expect great acting and storytelling. If you give me comic actors and a wacky premise, I know what I'm signing up for going in. In this case, if you show giant monsters and robots, I expect rampaging and, if you have it, some almost purposefully bad acting to remind the audience that this movie is not health food. I realize this is a low bar to clear and that some people have more discerning standards.

Back to the subject material, I just want any Godzilla movie to never forget, at any point during the movie, that it is a Godzilla movie and not Citizen Kane. This isn't serious science fiction I'm expecting. I'm expecting the updated version of a rubbery lizard rampaging through a city. I'm expecting close up shots of people looking in horror and screaming. And sure, I want better acting than the last halfhearted attempt to bring a Godzilla movie into the modern age, but "better acting" in a "we're all here to chew scenery a bit in between shots of Godzilla wrecking stuff" sense.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:29 pm

I honestly don't know that you're going to get what you're looking for from just the trailer, although admittedly it's not always (or even usually) possible to completely get a movie from two minutes of heavily chopped-up footage. It looks to me like they're playing it pretty straight. My suspicion would be that they tip a wink towards the kind of 'Godzilla! Now we must flee!' scene you seem to be talking about in a shot or two but the whole thing looks like it might be labouring under the sombre shadow cast since TDK trilogy.

I'm pleased that they haven't tried to redesign Godzilla himself to meet modern aesthetic demands too much though. And that the classic roar is back.

Anyway. I think it's going to benefit from being released close to the new Robocop which looks like it'll blind people with rage to the point that they'll forgive almost anything else.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:37 pm

The Cid wrote:If you give me tremendous actors and a well-known director, I'm going to expect great acting and storytelling.
The Star Wars prequels didn't cure you of that notion? A-list actors apparently tricked into giving the worst performances of their career?
I want better acting than the last halfhearted attempt to bring a Godzilla movie into the modern age
I expected Matthew Broderick to have an exchange with Jean Reno where he says something like, "If you're not over here in fifteen minutes, you can find a new best friend," to which Jean replies, "You've been saying that since the fifth grade."
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:58 pm

Deacon wrote:The Star Wars prequels didn't cure you of that notion? A-list actors apparently tricked into giving the worst performances of their career?
No, but that's what I expect. It's not what I get. By my golden rule of entertainment (You Must Give What You Promise Your Audience), the Star Wars prequels fail miserably. I did not get what I expected with those movies, and I'm not even that gung-ho about the originals. (I like them, but not the way some people do.)
Deacon wrote:Matthew Broderick
Boy he had a stretch of bad movies for a while there. Godzilla was close to The Cable Guy, and a few years later he made that awful Stepford Wives movie. Careers move pretty fast, Matthew. If you don't stop and...eh, it's not even worth it for that joke.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:41 am

OK, I'll concede Pacific Rim was better with a second viewing. Although the bad bits pained me more because I knew they were coming.
To Let

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:34 am

So Pacific Rim is not a mecha-hentai movie?

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:15 pm

zzzt---my---nuts---are---so---tight---zzt

Because that's how robots talk, dont you know.
To Let